Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:12:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Julia Davis series, Sally4Ever

Started by Fried Egg Sandwich, October 22, 2018, 08:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

much better this week, much more vile as well.

olliebean

Quote from: Malcy on November 16, 2018, 10:48:19 PM
It's coming from just one torrent site every week, then goes up elsewhere and I just checked the site and no sign. I think it's been later in going up as well.

If it's the site I think you mean, I think it might be the same person uploading it there as posting it on Reddit as it seems to appear at pretty much the same time.

garbed_attic

Contrariwise, I found it more directionless this week and thought the wife and daughter walking in just after Sally also breaking down the door too contrived. The only way to get away with such contrivance, I suppose, would have been to escalate it to the levels of the recent Dentons sketch in the League live show.

Dannyhood91

That episode was great. Julia plays this type of psycho so well.

Shaky

That episode makes me doubt Julia's claim that she doesn't write anything for shock value alone. Bloody hell.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shaky on November 23, 2018, 02:11:08 AM
That episode makes me doubt Julia's claim that she doesn't write anything for shock value alone. Bloody hell.

Haven't seen it yet, but where do you go after scat in mouth?

Shaky

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 23, 2018, 03:50:15 AM
Haven't seen it yet, but where do you go after scat in mouth?

Home for a good long think.

olliebean

Quote from: Shaky on November 23, 2018, 02:11:08 AM

Are you talking about this week's or last week's? If it's this week's, where did you get it from? Can't see it on the Reddits yet.

Shaky

Quote from: olliebean on November 23, 2018, 04:30:48 PM
Are you talking about this week's or last week's? If it's this week's, where did you get it from? Can't see it on the Reddits yet.

I meant episode 4 specifically, although the whole thing so far has been so gloriously demented and horrible I don't believe for a second Davis didn't set out to rub people up the wrong way. New one is on Dailymotion btw, albeit with the image flipped and audio pitch-shifted!

BlodwynPig

5th episode reverted to type, but I loved McQueen in his more salt than pepper toupee.

Mobius

If anyone is looking for episode 5 try the 'notapanelshow' reddit

BlodwynPig

I just use watch *title* online free and scroll down.

Based on the first four episodes, this is terrible. There's nothing particularly witty, likeable, or even watchable here. It's Davis at her most predictable, being arch and controversial for the sake of it, repeating the same ideas and concepts that she's known for but here doing it without any taste or solid foundations. It's just uncomfortable, awkward and unpleasant because it can be. There's no balance or respite from the unpleasantness and it gets tedious quickly. The cast is amazing but they have nothing to work with, it's threadbare and pointless.

I really wanted to like this, but it feels like Davis has turned into a parody of herself and is just out of ideas. Boring.

BlodwynPig

Even the subversive feels normal after prolonged exposure.

Looks like this is doing well critically if the current Rotten Tomatoes rating of 96% is anything to go by:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/sally4ever/s01

Also seems that this is being aimed partly at a US audience, based on the HBO involvement and some of the reviews, which is surprising given that there is a strong element of the comedy of manners about this, which doesn't always translate.

As early posters have said, it's very much Julia Davis by the numbers and all her tropes are here. She's Status Quo-ing it. It's gratuitous for the sake of it. Some of it is shamelessly overplayed by Davis (the baguette takes in Episode 5 for example). I shouldn't like it.  Yet in the main the performances are excellent and I routinely find myself looking forward to and laughing at this, my wife does too, and I'd still rather watch this than any other comedy on the BBC or C4 at the moment, with the possible exception of People Just Do Nothing.   

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Perfect Fried Chicken on November 25, 2018, 05:28:27 PM
Looks like this is doing well critically if the current Rotten Tomatoes rating of 96% is anything to go by:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/sally4ever/s01

Also seems that this is being aimed partly at a US audience, based on the HBO involvement and some of the reviews, which is surprising given that there is a strong element of the comedy of manners about this, which doesn't always translate.

As early posters have said, it's very much Julia Davis by the numbers and all her tropes are here. She's Status Quo-ing it. It's gratuitous for the sake of it. Some of it is shamelessly overplayed by Davis (the baguette takes in Episode 5 for example). I shouldn't like it.  Yet in the main the performances are excellent and I routinely find myself looking forward to and laughing at this, my wife does too, and I'd still rather watch this than any other comedy on the BBC or C4 at the moment, with the possible exception of People Just Do Nothing.

Julia Davis does American Pie

(also I guess now that Camping has jumped the ocean, and the shark, her star is waxing in a different sky).

Malcy

I've decided this is mostly shite and would rather have a series revolving around the characters in the office.

olliebean

Quote from: Perfect Fried Chicken on November 25, 2018, 05:28:27 PMI'd still rather watch this than any other comedy on the BBC or C4 at the moment, with the possible exception of People Just Do Nothing.

Has there been anything good on Channel 4 recently? Feels like I haven't watched it at all for months.

RedRevolver

Quote from: olliebean on November 25, 2018, 10:33:25 PM
Has there been anything good on Channel 4 recently? Feels like I haven't watched it at all for months.

Well, you could always try 'The Bisexual', which is kind of like the inverse of this.

Shaky

Quote from: Perfect Fried Chicken on November 25, 2018, 05:28:27 PM

Very much this. It is undoubtedly a greatest/worst hits of Julia Davis (depending on your mileage) but it's so blatantly extreme and self-consciously ridiculous that I really like it. Quite amusing to see read articles and reviews try to dissect the show as if it were a fairly normal sitcom eg: who's going to end up with who, what certain characters motivations are etc. Who gives a fuck - I'm just enjoying the ride.

thugler

Episode 4 genuinely horrible and sickening. Needed a break after that.

Otherwise was really enjoying it

garbed_attic

Quote from: thugler on November 28, 2018, 01:09:29 PM
Episode 4 genuinely horrible and sickening. Needed a break after that.

I find it surprising this seems to have crossed a line for most people - I didn't find it as gross-out as all the semen and gravy and shit stuff in Nighty Night season 2 nor as offensive as some of the rape jokes in Hunderby.

NoOffenceLynn

I liked the setup of charters in camping. We all know the score.

Davis and her repugnant "boyfriend" was great as she did coke in the car saying "I FUCKN LOVE DRUGS"

But her "boyfriend" for the moment, couldn't go to back to see his kids, when their mum was in intensive care.

Grim, but funny.

pancreas

Ep5 weirdly boring. Scenes way too long. You got the message 1 min in and had to sit through what felt like 5 mins of the same scene.

Malcy

Quote from: pancreas on November 29, 2018, 07:33:39 PM
Ep5 weirdly boring. Scenes way too long. You got the message 1 min in and had to sit through what felt like 5 mins of the same scene.

I've found most episodes like that. Think this could have easily been a 3 part series rather than dragging for 6. Glad it's the last tonight.

garbed_attic

Quote from: Malcy on November 29, 2018, 09:01:59 PM
I've found most episodes like that. Think this could have easily been a 3 part series rather than dragging for 6. Glad it's the last tonight.

I thought 7 episodes?

I've generally quite liked it myself, though agree it has stretches with not much happening. I'd rank it higher than Nighty Night season 2 and quite possibly Camping.

jobotic

I watched episode four last night. Disappointing. Gross but not funny. And all kind of predictable. Not the scat, but what people are going to say next.

garbed_attic

Human Remains > Nighty Night S1 > Hunderby > Dear Joan and Jericha > Sally4Ever > Camping > Nighty Night S2, for me!