Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,186
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 775
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:18:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Julia Davis series, Sally4Ever

Started by Fried Egg Sandwich, October 22, 2018, 08:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Quote from: gout_pony on November 30, 2018, 12:33:26 PM
I thought 7 episodes?

Ah your right. It is 7. Going to be a struggle i think!

olliebean

Best not watch it if you're finding it a struggle, IWHT.

garbed_attic

6th episode had a great soundtrack and some very squirmy, though not always that funny moments. I'm pretty fed up with Davis' "disability in women is just dressed-up hysteria/ neuroticism" hang-up though... IDK Cathy had some human pathos as a character in Nighty Night, but Rosie Cavaliero and Felicity Montagu (and arguably even Elizabeth Berrington in Camping) are all playing variants on the same trope and with Felicity's character now revealed as actually being able to walk it all feels a bit Lou and Andy from Little Britain.

Malcy

So much better. Would have preferred a show revolving around those characters to the extent that was in this episode with Davis' character in a minor role of at all.

garbed_attic

The show's so gross I'm surprised it's not called Sally4Egghair!

BlodwynPig

It somehow lacks a soul. The madcap 6th episode should have been so much more, but even by the manic standards felt tired and obvious.

garbed_attic

Much as I enjoy much of Davis' use of language, her casting and generally her performances, I don't think farcical plotting has ever been her strong suit, which is possibly why she's (arguably) at her strongest when building off improvisation as in Human Remains and Dear Joan and Jericha... ?

trabuch

Throughout this, all the characters have been unrealistically stupid and unlikeable.
I do wonder why I find her work is so watchable. I don't slow down to watch car crashes, but I do like horror films (although they seem to have a better sense of humour).
Not sure if I will ever forgive her for using Sufjan Stevens in her misanthropic misery fest's soundtrack (which is the best bit).

græskar

I don't know how to feel about this. I do enjoy Julia Davis very much, but I wouldn't watch this again. It was a bit of a mess.
The ending should've been very drastic and over the top to justify all the silliness, but it even failed at that.
It feels like a waste of a great cast, to be honest, this deserved to be a much better comedy with all the people involved.

BlodwynPig

AWFUL. Possibly the worst comedy I've ever seen.

garbed_attic

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 08, 2018, 04:00:40 PM
AWFUL. Possibly the worst comedy I've ever seen.

! Dude! Blodders... I'll agree it was disappointing and left an unpleasant after-taste, but worst than the worst of Family Guy, Mrs. Brown's Boys and Captain Butler?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gout_pony on December 09, 2018, 12:58:46 AM
! Dude! Blodders... I'll agree it was disappointing and left an unpleasant after-taste, but worst than the worst of Family Guy, Mrs. Brown's Boys and Captain Butler?

I don't watch bad comedy. Let's just say this was the worst comedy where I would have expected better. How much money did they pay Bean to appear and take part in the most obvious of scenarios?

Would have been happy for a full series of Davies peeping through a hole in the ceiling soundtracked by BoC, though. That track was wasted though as the scene didn't have the emotional impact a better writer would have forged.

garbed_attic

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 09, 2018, 01:31:34 AM
I don't watch bad comedy. Let's just say this was the worst comedy where I would have expected better. How much money did they pay Bean to appear and take part in the most obvious of scenarios?

Would have been happy for a full series of Davies peeping through a hole in the ceiling soundtracked by BoC, though. That track was wasted though as the scene didn't have the emotional impact a better writer would have forged.

I do feel increasingly that Davis has a great sense of horrible textures, juxtapositions and odd language use, but cannot plot for toffee. As such, her works based around improvisation, such as Human Remains and Dear Joan and Jericho tend to be her strongest.

græskar

All that being said, I can't believe she's 52.