Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:34:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

People you thought were younger or older than they were

Started by George White, October 23, 2018, 10:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

Quote from: Keebleman on October 24, 2018, 12:32:37 AM
But another Spurs guy: Jimmy Greaves.  It's not that he looked older than his years, but that when I first became aware of him - in the early 80s - with his balding head, walrus tache and barrel physique he looked nothing like the guy scowling in the England dugout during the 1966 World Cup Final.  I mean, his head looked like it had changed shape in the intervening years.  (See also: 1941 Frank Sinatra/1961 Frank Sinatra.)

I genuinely find it difficult to believe that playing days Jimmy Greaves and TV personality Jimmy Greaves are the same person. It's like a Paul McCartney conspiracy where they couldn't even be fucked getting someone who looked similar. I know he had a massive drink problem for a long time and that can't have helped, but the total transformation in his appearance goes beyond simple alcoholism.

Show me a picture of a 1960s Spurs team and I struggle to pick him out. It doesn't help that back then all football teams were white men who looked the same, admittedly.

saltysnacks

J Alexander from America's Next Top Model, is 60 years of age.

This picture isn't from 2008, it's from this year. Unbelievable.

saltysnacks

Quote from: Trojan_Jockey on October 24, 2018, 01:44:05 PM
Antoine de Caunes is 65 this year! sonofabitch

People who have that kind of face are always good fellas.

Any excuse to post this as I can't believe this woman is 58.

Cuellar

Quote from: saltysnacks on October 24, 2018, 02:00:11 PM
People who have that kind of face are always good fellas.

He has the face of a bastard hybrid of Jeremy Hunt, Richard Hammond, and someone else that I can't quite place.

Chollis

Quote from: Cuellar on October 24, 2018, 02:45:30 PM
He has the face of a bastard hybrid of Jeremy Hunt, Richard Hammond, and someone else that I can't quite place.

Edwin van der Sar

saltysnacks

Quote from: Cuellar on October 24, 2018, 02:45:30 PM

I think he has only the positive qualities though, I want to nod my head to him as we pass in the street.

Dex Sawash

Keebleman

Meghan Markle doesn't look her age.  She's 37, older than Harry.

willpurry

Quote from: Darles Chickens on October 24, 2018, 09:52:04 AM
I always thought Rupert Murdoch was around 140, when in fact it turns out that he's only pushing 90!

A dehydrated prune, yesterday.

Petey Pate

I was a bit surprised when I found out that Aaron Paul of Breaking Bad fame will be 40 next year.

jimboslice

I still assume most footballers are older than me even though I'm 33 and this is becoming more and more unlikely.

Keebleman

Quote from: jimboslice on October 26, 2018, 04:15:51 PM
I still assume most footballers are older than me even though I'm 33 and this is becoming more and more unlikely.

I remember watching a game with some friends when I was about 35 and expressing wonderment that most, if not all, of the guys playing were younger than me.  "Of course they bloody are!" said my friend's plain-speaking missus.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: imitationleather on October 24, 2018, 01:52:24 PM
I genuinely find it difficult to believe that playing days Jimmy Greaves and TV personality Jimmy Greaves are the same person. It's like a Paul McCartney conspiracy where they couldn't even be fucked getting someone who looked similar. I know he had a massive drink problem for a long time and that can't have helped, but the total transformation in his appearance goes beyond simple alcoholism.

Show me a picture of a 1960s Spurs team and I struggle to pick him out. It doesn't help that back then all football teams were white men who looked the same, admittedly.

I'm pinpointing the transformation to a day in the mid-seventies. If you look at pictures of him at West Ham in the early seventies then he's still in the young Jimmy phase but come 1977 when he's playing for Barnet he's the Jimmy we all know and love today.

Watching The Office recently I wondered how old Neil (Patrick Baladi) would be now. He's 46. I could have sworn he was that age in The Office. I looked up Stirling Gallacher who played Jennifer and put her at around 40 then as well. Turns out now she's 47. Maybe it's something to do with them both playing managers but I can't believe they were both about 30 back then.

Spudgun

Cyndi Lauper is less than five years younger than Lulu.

Toni Basil, in turn, is more than five years older than Lulu.

The 'Lulu' is now the standard unit of measurement for this sort of thing.

Nowhere Man

mothman

Was taken aback to learn that Kevin Kline turned 71 the other day. Thinking about it logically, given he had his big roles in the 80s and 90s when he was in his 30s and 40s, that would be about right. I guesss it's his relative lack of high-profile roles the past 20 years have made him less visible - in recent photos, he looks like the Hollywood-actor version of a 70something.

The one I can't believe though is that Michael Emerson is in his mid-60s. He could pass for a couple of years older than me; hell, I know people younger than me look older than him.

Clownbaby

Paul Dano doesn't seem 34 to me. I guess him playing a 15 year old when he was 21 in Little Miss Sunshine had me thinking he'd just be in his twenties now. I like him. He reminds me of a pumpkin.

Clownbaby

Quote from: mothman on October 27, 2018, 09:28:20 AM

The one I can't believe though is that Michael Emerson is in his mid-60s. He could pass for a couple of years older than me; hell, I know people younger than me look older than him.

Aye that's an odd one. It's them bushbaby eyes

Quote from: Special K on October 24, 2018, 02:41:23 PM

Any excuse to post this as I can't believe this woman is 58.

They replaced her with the Nigellatron 2000 about ten years ago.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Nowhere Man on October 27, 2018, 01:26:12 AM
Stranglers drummer Jet Black is 80 years old

Didn't he change his name to Blue Rinse a while back?

George White

Watched USA network World Premiere movie Mrs. Scrooge on TrueChristmas. Cicely Tyson was 73, but she looks like and acts like a younger woman in old age makeup. Then again, Cicely Tyson doesn't seem to age like normal human beings. She was 52 in Roots, playing a young mother.

Turns out my wifes birthday was yesterday.

Does that count?

mothman

Quote from: DistressedArea on December 09, 2018, 12:26:29 PM
Turns out my wifes birthday was yesterday.

Does that count?

Keep it in the People Who Didn't Realise They Were Sleeping On The Couch Tonight thread, please.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Nigel Planer. I always figured he was in his mid twenties when he was doing The Young Ones, but actually he was early thirties. Not much younger than Chris Ryan in fact.

MuteBanana

Dylan Moran was 29 when he became Bernard Black. A fuckin child. Back then I thought he was a youthful 40something.

NurseNugent

It always stuns me when I realise Tony Hancock was only  44 when he died, meaning he was only in his thirties during Hancock's Half Hour.