Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:54:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What phone?

Started by Beagle 2, October 24, 2018, 12:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

Yes, another one of these threads.

It's new phone time, and I've been looking at these Virgin deals. A Sony XZ2 with a PS4 and 15 gigs of data for £42 a month would probably be my sweet spot.

However, I've had a Sony phone before and it was dogshit. A huge slab of dogshit that was buggy from the start, which I had to send back because the drag down menu didn't work, and then I dropped it 2cm onto a bed of petals and angel's breath and it shattered into a million pieces.

Anybody got the XZ2? I had a look at one in a shop the other day and it does look a lot better, but still bulky and with a stupid curved back. Why would I want a curved back. Isn't it going to slide around everywhere and get right on my tits?

The phone I actually think I want is the Nokia 8, which is less than half the price and just feels nice to hold, probably does everything I want it to, and comes with zero bloatware. Opinions pls I need free PS4 thx.

New Jack

Buy a Honor or a Xiaomi or even a Oneplus or Oppo yourself and get on giffgaff and you'll save a fortune versus a contract, which would be useful PS4 money plus also freedom - there's a reason they have to bribe you

Sony phones are alreet but I like all the above brands due to the near-stock Android experience or root-friendly stuff if you're gonna put custom ROMs on like I do. I gypped off Sony for Oneplus mind and never looked back.

Beagle 2

I did the giffgaff thing a few years ago and the reception was terrible. I travelled around a lot at the time and it was impressively consistent in being shit everywhere. Has it got better?

New Jack

Isn't it just o2's network?

It has gotten better over the past couple years for me, but it weren't bad in the first place. Might be worth having a go on:

https://www.giffgaff.com/coverage-and-service

GSMArena is the top dog phone site btw, lets you compare models, has spinny 3D views of phones, and you can read comments off fanboy idiots and that!

Beagle 2

Well, yeah that's what I thought, but I was on O2 and it was fine, switched to giffgaff and it was shit. It was a while ago now, 2011 I think.

Thanks for the tip on GSMArena, will check it out.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's not like giffgaff are the only sim-only provider, there's dozens. Some are a little bit cheaper depending on which data package you go for. They don't all piggyback on the same network I don't think.

Buy a phone outright if you can afford it and get on a sim only.

gabrielconroy

I bought a Nokia 6.1 outright about 6 months ago and it's pretty ace. There was a slight issue at the start where it would constantly just turn itself off but Vodafone finally rolled out the Android update that fixed it and now it's right as rain.

surreal

I got a Nokia 8 when the price dropped from £500+ to about £350, no regrets, lovely bit of kit.

Endicott

I replaced my 8 year old HTC Desire last month. It was a shame to see the back of it, but on the other hand it had become worse than useless. I don't like big phones and it was quite a surprise to find that there are hardly any small ones available anymore. As usual I am outside the current fashion loop. I got a second hand Sony Xperia Z1 Compact for 95 quid, replaced the battery and rear panel for another 25 quid, now it looks and behaves as if it was brand new. £10 per month SIM only contract (only 2GB data but that's more than I use anyway). I'm quite pleased with this.

Jerzy Bondov

Nokia 7+ here, fucking lovely bit of phone. Can't go wrong with the recent Nokias.

chveik

Beagle 2

How's the camera on those Nokias?

I got the Samsung S9 and I've subsequently become what my nan described as 'a fanny magnet'. Pretty offensive these days I said but the sentiment was very accurate.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Beagle 2 on October 24, 2018, 01:57:28 PM
How's the camera on those Nokias?
I don't really know much (anything) about cameras but the one on the 7 Plus seems to be really good. Here's a picture of a bird I took. The Nokia camera app is pretty good but I think some people have had more success by installing the Google Pixel one.

Beagle 2

THEN IT IS DECIDED.

Think I'll pick up a 7 Plus, this seems a good deal?

Looks like you'll have to organise a whip round for the PS4 lads.

Jerzy Bondov

Yeah that's good, I paid £350 for mine back in May. No doubt there will be some new better version of it along shortly but that's always the case.

mojo filters

I just go with the cheapest Samsung Android model every year or so, free on a circa £20 monthly plan. I'm sure the better models work a bit more slickly and effectively, but I still find mine perfectly serviceable and effectively replacing my need for a decent laptop and up to date tablet, in an impressive number of ways.

I'm not bothered about the cameras, if I can see the occasional photo I take - that'll do me. Each phone has lasted long enough to wear out the battery before breaking. I'm sure an iPhone is far better built, but I just don't see enough cost/benefit to justify the expense - plus I much prefer the extra 2 navigation buttons for getting around the device quickly.

Admittedly I've not really explored the Android alternatives, even though they seem to get better reviews than the equivalent Samsung models. I find the change in GUI with each new Samsung hard enough to get used to, but at least it seems reasonably consistently familiar.

I can see the attraction of the more intuitive interface on an iPhone, for the technically challenged folks like my mother - who certainly gets her value for money via regular visits to the Apple store for free help and support with the most minor of issues!

What perplexes me is nosey friends and colleagues who see my Android and ask why I haven't got an iPhone?! Those folks seem to assume the Android system is inherently not as good, though normally when I enquire I find they've not actually tried to use one.

Whatever the OP decides on, I hope it works out well. I have no interest in poking my nose into other folks phone business!

olliebean

Quote from: mojo filters on October 24, 2018, 02:45:55 PMWhat perplexes me is nosey friends and colleagues who see my Android and ask why I haven't got an iPhone?! Those folks seem to assume the Android system is inherently not as good, though normally when I enquire I find they've not actually tried to use one.

Anyone asking why I haven't got an iPhone is too rich to be my friend.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Every iphone user who says "i hate android phones" has generally used them for about five minutes and found that some things aren't precisely the same.

Enjoy your iphone, I'll enjoy my having £700 more quid and not being a thick fuck

Josef K

I've got a Pixel 2 and love it. The camera is astounding. I often take photos on an SLR for work and the phone photos always come out looking better. The upcoming Night Sight feature for all Pixels is an amazing technical feat
https://www.gsmarena.com/heres_what_pixel_3___3_xls_night_sight_camera_mode_can_do-news-33881.php

If you can, I'd definitely recommend buying a phone outright and going SIM only, saves a lot if you're keeping the phone for 2+ years.

ID Mobile seem to do the cheapest SIM only deals. £8 a month for 3GB 4G, unlimited texts and calls works well for me since I'm on work or home wifi 90% of the time anyway.

Beagle 2

Wow, yes those night sight photos are amazing. Photos are a big deal to me as I have a child which is interesting as fuck to literally everybody and I have to document his every breath so I can get those sweet perfunctory thumbs on social media. Night sight is good but are there any modes that can filter him to be slightly less fat and annoying looking? Also good for selfies.

I've never owned an iPhone, but to be honest I bought an iPad for music stuff and it so ridiculously blows away every other tablet I've ever owned that I can definitely see the appeal. Just, fuck paying that much.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The Google pixel software has been modded or whatever so you can get downloads online and it will run on other android phones. It won't improve the quality of the lens but the software alone is shit hot and makes a big difference to my images.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm with Giffgaff and haven't had any issues with them, but I am based in London so you'd expect the coverage to be good. And I got an Iphone recently which I love, but a friend gave me his old one for free so I get to be truly smug about it.

I got a Pixel 2 xl in September for £70 down and £31 a month, for 20gb of data and unlimited minutes. I've had sim only deals for the last 6 years but  a similar sim only would be at least £18 alone.

Dex Sawash

Dropped my galaxy7 in the toilet at work today while having a wee. Kind of weird having to continue pissing on your phone. Gave it a rinse and it's still going. Always wondered what IP68 stood for.

Z

SIM free 32gb iPhone SE will cost you about 110 on eBay. For that you get some extremely well designed hardware, a pretty good camera, great battery life and one of the last reasonably sized phones

Cookd and bombd will be even less usable than on larger phones though

canadagoose

Virgin Mobile has some pretty good SIM only deals if you're looking for one.

Replies From View

Don't forget that a PS4 needs a ram pack that you'll need to pay for separately.  Then factor in the cost of the games and that cheeky console isn't as "free" as you first assumed!!

Mister Six

The Google Pixel 2 is fucking rad. I don't know how it compares to what you're looking at at the minute but I wanted to throw that out there. The camera is fantastic and it runs all the main apps and games. What more do you want?

Replies From View