Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:52:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What phone?

Started by Beagle 2, October 24, 2018, 12:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New Jack

Quote from: MojoJojo on October 30, 2018, 10:30:19 AM
I don't know exactly what samsung have added or what Greenify is, but I think the basic functionality is basically built into android now - i.e. you can see what apps are using battery while idle (and sometimes get warned by battery hogs) and "battery optimise" them.

yes, that's (hibernation of apps) a core android feature, since Marshmallow. I'm not even sure "free" Greenify is that good for that reason - with the donation version and rooted I like snoozing system apps and services the built-in optimise functions won't touch. And it seems to sync with the optimise feature which is pretty elegant.

If anyone else is tinkerin' with root I really recommend L-Speed as well as it has presets to hew to battery life.  Along the line of tapering services, limiting the CPU discreetly and intelligently (seen Samsung's version of this and it's bloody horrible, so laggy). With those two I'm generally happy as Larry (and we know Larry is fuckin made up)

Currently on 53%, last charge was 1 day 20 hours ago,  6hours 40 minutes of screen usage. Not bad for a blower nearly 18 months old

Cloud

Quote from: MojoJojo on October 30, 2018, 10:30:19 AM
I don't know exactly what samsung have added or what Greenify is, but I think the basic functionality is basically built into android now - i.e. you can see what apps are using battery while idle (and sometimes get warned by battery hogs) and "battery optimise" them.

It closes background apps when they're just sitting around hogging resources, basically.  You can go in and click an "optimise" button and it does it there and then, or mine runs automatically around lunchtime

I usually find that quite a few things (particularly automation) need to be excluded from both Android and Samsung's battery optimisation stuff

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: New Jack on October 29, 2018, 08:33:26 PM
Oneplus 6T looks shite value for the money. I got the first Oneplus then the 3 and the 5 but think this will break my loyalty.

- Not waterproof
- No headphone socket
- No SD card
- No Wireless charging
- Notch (albeit a nice teardrop one)

Now,  some of those I live with already, but it seems to be falling behind still leaving these out. REALLY can't stand the idea of bluetooth headphones - especially if it's not in aid of waterproofing?

GSMArena's review seems to confirm my fears

https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_6t-review-1843p7.php

I'm not going back to Oneplus after getting the 3. It's been a very fine phone but very quickly after that was released they seem to have let matters go to their head - gone chasing the dollar instead of getting to work in the engine room and sticking to their strengths.

Plenty of options out there these days to worry about loyalty.

canadagoose

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 30, 2018, 10:51:45 PM
I'm not going back to Oneplus after getting the 3. It's been a very fine phone but very quickly after that was released they seem to have let matters go to their head - gone chasing the dollar instead of getting to work in the engine room and sticking to their strengths.

The OnePlus 3T - still my current phone - has been excellent, although with some software bugs (GPS mainly in the early days, then some Bluetooth bother that was resolved later), but it's disappointing to see that the OnePlus brand seems to be following the same trends as the other brands. Xiaomi seem to offer really good value, but I've not had any personal experience with them. I'm hoping to hold onto my current phone for another little bit yet.

Cloud

Not the slightest bit surprised that OnePlus got integrated into the mainstream, with all the higher prices and flaws, after their success.  Saw it coming as soon as they got an official foothold with networks here.

Pity as the 3T was my best Android phone to date.

New Jack

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 30, 2018, 10:51:45 PM

Yeah, 5 is ace, but that's my lot - think I'm going Note 9. The fuck are Oneplus on about now, they don't rival anyone, they don't innovate, they just copy the iPhone but worse.

Oneplus started brill and now just.. who are they aiming for?

Note 9 though. Waterproof, headphones, wireless charging, SD card, notification light, good ROM scene... Samsung don't do notches!

Xiaomi look good too as an alternative brand if I don't feel like importing that for £600 next year (I did import a tablet from Sammy for about £250 cheaper, just had to navigate the language menu to the word English, but it's still dear - mind you, Oneplus spunked that selling point away anyway)

Cloud

Samsung seem to be about the only ones who've not lost the plot.  Unless the upcoming rumour of the S10 having a camera just sat there poking a hole through the screen is true!

The S9 is just a tiny bit lacking for how heavily I use mine with PoGo, wearables, automation, multitasking etc.  But I think a Note would be perfect.  In hindsight, I'd have waited for one, but again, the S9 was effectively free on the contract I got through hotukdeals.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Cloud

Nothing is free, but "effectively free" in comparison to going SIM-only for the amount of data I wanted on my preferred network (30GB, EE).  Deal was £33/month zero upfront cost, and 30GB on SIM-only was about £33/month at the time

Now, at the moment they have a deal on where it's £25/month for SIM-only.  But then, even at £8/month for the phone it's still only a £192 handset.   Rather than a  grand's worth.

Witionamins

Quote from: Beagle 2 on October 24, 2018, 12:37:05 PM
Well, yeah that's what I thought, but I was on O2 and it was fine, switched to giffgaff and it was shit. It was a while ago now, 2011 I think.  What do you think about the tirereviewswebsite, searching for tires.

Thanks for the tip on GSMArena, will check it out.

Hi,
I am an iPhone lover so I personally adore iPhones, as well as macbooks from Apple.
Thank you

New Jack

Quote from: Witionamins on November 16, 2018, 11:55:16 AM
Hi,
I am an iPhone lover so I personally adore iPhones, as well as macbooks from Apple.
Thank you

You signed up just to say this? Eh, makes sense

MojoJojo

They'll be giving us hot kitchen tips in a moment.

Beagle 2

You're probably on the edge of your seat waiting for an update on this - the Nokia 7+ is a really lovely thing (shitty camera app aside) and giffgaff have been great so far, instantly improved reception all over Edinburgh at least. So cheers Jerzy and Greencalx.

Dex Sawash

I went to the phone store to see the Red Hydrogen One with "holographic display" because I had a little time to kill.

It is a massive chunk of phone. Display is dumb, same effect as a lenticular 3d plastic thingie with the ribs on it. Impressive that it does that but super pointless. The effect works with one eye closed but doesn't really show up on video or images so you have to go look yourself but don't bother.

Dex Sawash

I was contemplating all the $3-$400 middle of road phones when I got email from provider on Thursday that Galaxy Note9 was 40% off making it just another hunnert above what I was thinking of getting.
Arrived yesterday and it is brilliant.  Screen is great and sound from speaker is good enough I watch shows w/o the ear buds.

They threw in the Galaxy watch for $150, I just impulse bought that too. It isn't WearOS so has poor app support.
Watch has cloned SIM of phone so get calls and texts on watch with phone at home though.

holyzombiejesus

My contract with EE is about to run out. At the moment I get 2gb and a 'free' phone if I upgrade, all for about £27 and I'd need to stick with them for 2 years. I'd probably stick with a Sony out of all the ones on offer. Is it better to get a sim from GiffGaff and get a phone separately? I know that's generally the case but I'm only on a cheapo deal so not sure if it'd be worth the faff.

Uncle TechTip

If you can pick up a phone you could stay with EE on a Sim Only, you'll still get access to the best 4G frequencies and the fastest everywhere, 16 a month I pay for 2gb. And there are much better deals out there if you are not fussed about provider, giffgaff being the obvious one. I think it always makes sense to get your own phone if you can afford one you like.

MojoJojo

Virgin Media use EEs network and is have some good deals. I pay £6 month for 2Gb, and any unused get's carried over to the next month - although that deal isn't available anymore. £16 a month would currently get you 30Gb a month.

Basically, £16 a month for 2gb is shit - sorry TT!