Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:52:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Beetlejuice 30th Anniversary re-issue

Started by surreal, October 24, 2018, 03:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

I've got tickets for this at Cineworld in Brum on Tuesday 30th - anyone else planning to catch this?  How the hell is it 30 years ago... feel so old!!

Blumf

That means next year will be Tim Burton's Batman film's 30th anniversary.

BeardFaceMan

This was the first film I ever snuck into the cinema to watch, being underage at the time. I think it was Big i paid for, watched 30 minutes of thrn put my head down and snuck to the screen next door. I laughed a lot and nearly shit my pants several times, lovely stuff.

surreal

I'm hoping there is a properly restored blu-ray on the way

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: surreal on October 24, 2018, 04:58:43 PM
I'm hoping there is a properly restored blu-ray on the way

I would love a new version of the Blu-Ray with a bunch of worthwhile extras for once. Neither the 20th Anniversary edition or the old DVD had anything substantial. No commentaries, no deleted scenes, no storyboards, no interviews, no production artwork and no making-of or retrospective documentary. That's a crime considering how bizarre the movie is on just about every level, and how much of it changed drastically from the original script as production went on.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Blumf on October 24, 2018, 04:22:05 PM

I got a ticket to a Leeds preview showing of that by buying a Batman T-Shirt in 'Odyssey'* I've still got the ticket. It's shaped like the bat symbol.

*later became a Forbidden Planet

Replies From View

Quote from: Blumf on October 24, 2018, 04:22:05 PM

Oh brilliant that means it's not long as well until Schumacher's Batman and Robin gets its 30th anniversary re-issue.

Blumf

Quote from: Replies From View on October 26, 2018, 01:10:04 PM
Oh brilliant that means it's not long as well until Schumacher's Batman and Robin gets its 30th anniversary re-issue.

The 20th was last year, but imagine the 4K restoration they'll do for the 30th...

Can't wait.

Brundle-Fly

When does Beetlejuice get the Netflix TV series treatment? Must be due.

mothman

It'd be Justin Theroux. It's always Justin Theroux.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 26, 2018, 03:16:53 PM
When does Beetlejuice get the Netflix TV series treatment? Must be due.

There was talk of a sequel about a year ago but it seems to have gone quiet on that front since. https://deadline.com/2017/10/beetlejuice-2-new-writer-mike-vukadinovich-warner-bros-tim-burton-1202184970/

Shaky

I seem to recall that there was also a script floating around since the 90's... Beetlejuice Goes To Hawaii? The good thing about a proposed sequel is the much older Keaton could easily still play the character under all that makeup. The bad thing is, of course, that it would likely be shit.

Kelvin

The first film is pretty rubbish, but enjoyably so. The ott performances, the bizzarre tone and aimless plot, and most importantly, the good/awful practical effects are all party of the fun. A remake would inevitably be a slicker affair that relied heavily on competent but unmemorable CGI. I'd rather see a very different take on the same idea, like a proper horror comedy, or a version by another distinctive director.

Brundle-Fly

I still think it's one of the most exhilarating opening sequences (with that irresistible marching Elfman score) I have ever experienced in a cinema. Took my breath away at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-5Jnxs276M

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Kelvin on October 27, 2018, 06:49:00 PM
The first film is pretty rubbish, but enjoyably so. The ott performances, the bizzarre tone and aimless plot, and most importantly, the good/awful practical effects are all party of the fun. A remake would inevitably be a slicker affair that relied heavily on competent but unmemorable CGI. I'd rather see a very different take on the same idea, like a proper horror comedy, or a version by another distinctive director.

Have you seen the Alex Winter movie Freaked from 1993? I prefer Beetlejuice but in terms of an aimless plot, bizarre tone, horror-comedy mixture and lots of weird practical effects I feel like they're quite similar movies. The only other film that comes immediately to mind is Death Becomes Her but I imagine most people have seen that as it's much more well-known.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 27, 2018, 08:30:40 PM
I still think it's one of the most exhilarating opening sequences (with that irresistible marching Elfman score) I have ever experienced in a cinema. Took my breath away at the time.

The soundtrack is the first CD I ever bought! :)

surreal

Well, that cheered me up immensely.  Didn't look like they'd done anything special to the print, but the film is just as bright and colourful as I remember, and Keaton's performance remains as one of the greats.  It's interesting seeing modern audience reaction to this kind of movie, it was generally good and plenty of laughs particularly during the dinner party calypso scene.

Also a great cast in general - shocking to see Alec Baldwin looking so young after being used to him being in 30 Rock, and I still have a thing for Catherine O'Hara as Delia... And of course there is renowned sex offender Jeffery Jones.

colacentral

I was away for the weekend so missed this, which I'm gutted about as it's genuinely one of my favourite films - definitely my favourite Burton film, just above Pee-Wee.

Great performances, one of the greatest casts ever assembled. Great score. Moving, funny, exhilirating, expertly paced, brilliant concept, beautiful set and costume design. It's pretty much a perfect film to me.

The cartoon is good too, and way ahead of its time. I thought for ages it was an early 90's cartoon as I only saw it when it was repeated on Cartoon Network, but it came out in the late 80's. I can't think of any earlier examples of a kids cartoon having that particular style and tone, but I can think of a ton that come a few years later. It aso seems to me to influence Aladdin's genie character and other cartoon floating magic-friend-of-the-hero-who-can-do-anythings which came in the wake of that.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Kelvin on October 27, 2018, 06:49:00 PM

Shut your whore mouth.*

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on October 27, 2018, 08:32:10 PM
Have you seen the Alex Winter movie Freaked from 1993? I prefer Beetlejuice but in terms of an aimless plot, bizarre tone, horror-comedy mixture and lots of weird practical effects I feel like they're quite similar movies. The only other film that comes immediately to mind is Death Becomes Her but I imagine most people have seen that as it's much more well-known.

I loved Freaked, it's ridiculously silly but a great deal of fun.

*Apologies but I think it's a classic and love it to this day.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: surreal on October 31, 2018, 09:20:42 AM
And of course there is renowned sex offender Jeffery Jones.

Who's still working, weirdly. Well, sort of. Since Deadwood ended in 2006 (three years after he was charged with soliciting a minor), he's made two shitty films and appeared, uncredited, in an HBO TV movie. So I guess that goes to show that an actor can still get some work, even after being placed on the sex offender register.

Apologies for lowering the tone of this thread, but I was wondering what he was up to these days.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 31, 2018, 05:20:37 PM
I loved Freaked, it's ridiculously silly but a great deal of fun.

Yeah it has some great gags and a lot of wild imagination put into it. One of these days when I'm in the right mood I'll finally check out the TV series that spawned it from the same creators, The Idiot Box, which apparently has the same tone & humour.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on November 01, 2018, 07:26:06 AM
Yeah it has some great gags and a lot of wild imagination put into it. One of these days when I'm in the right mood I'll finally check out the TV series that spawned it from the same creators, The Idiot Box, which apparently has the same tone & humour.

I'd not heard of that before but have just obtained it now so will give it a shot soon.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 27, 2018, 08:30:40 PM

Yes, completely agree. The music and general pacing make up for the somewhat loose plot. The thing has it's own weird momentum that you ride on top of like a giant sandworm.

surreal

Bumped a bit to add this which I just found a link to - a new Making Of documentary being Kickstarter'd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCmzVB0D14c&feature=youtu.be

Unfortunately doesn't look like it's going to meet its target at the moment.  Hopefully some of the footage will turn up somewhere though.