Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:51:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

[BBC1] The Little Drummer Girl - miniseries directed by Park Chan-Wook.

Started by Sebastian Cobb, October 26, 2018, 04:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Phil_A on November 05, 2018, 10:07:14 PM
No-one bothered with episode 2 at all then?

I didn't bother.  I found Part 1 to be incomprehensible... I didn't care about any of the characters and felt I had nothing invested in it to drag me into watching part 2.

Shit Good Nose

Yep, I watched it.  It's fine.

It takes an awful lot of cues from the film but, not having read the book, I don't know if that means that both it and the film are very faithful to the book, or if the series is using the film as a jumping off point.

Also, the main actress in it annoys the fuck out of me (or perhaps I should say the way she plays the character annoys the fuck out of me).

I'll see it through to the end, though, if only cos Michael Shannon isn't playing a creepy loon for a change.

gilbertharding

Tried to watch episode 1 on catch-up a few days ago. My wife promptly fell asleep about 30 minutes in (just after pronouncing the main Israeli guy 'unbelievable'), so I switched off - to minimise the chance of having to watch much of it twice.

So far the most interesting bit has been the Omega Constellation watch being worn by the baddie (I presume he's a baddie) which almost the same model of Omega Constellation I own. I appreciate this is of limited interest to 99.9% of the population.

KennyMonster

Half way through episode 2.

Stupid plot with dubious morality and politics.

Watching this at the same time as reading Mark Thomas' book leaves a bitter taste in my mouth and my skin crawling.

Is BBC1 Sunday drama the anti Arab slot? The Bodyguard even had a woman one as a baddie.

Propaganda continuing......

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

KennyMonster

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 06, 2018, 10:23:44 PM
If so, that'll be a startling episode of Doctor Who.

Oh what, like the last episode, "Look at that little space fella, he appears to be a bit different from us and he doesn't eat the same stuff we do, lets jettison him off back into space where he came from, so he'll be someone else's problem, carrying a bomb inside him because that's what them lot like" ??????

Yeah no hidden messages there at all.

Shit Good Nose

I think some people need to remember that this is an adaptation of a novel written in the early 80s and set in the 70s, ergo it's going to feature subjects, ethics and morals which are out of step with current thinking.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 07, 2018, 02:02:13 PM
I think some people need to remember that this is an adaptation of a novel written in the early 80s and set in the 70s, ergo it's going to feature subjects, ethics and morals which are out of step with current thinking.

And completely in step with the current thinking of some people, like who our allies are in the Middle East.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the reason it has been chosen to do an adaptation now.

Shit Good Nose

Or not at all the reason and more likely that Le Carre screen adaptations have been quite popular for the last few years.

Not everything is a shrouded conspiracy, even if the BBC are involved.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 07, 2018, 02:02:13 PM

Hmmm... up to a point, but this is a new adaptation. They could have changed it, or picked a different book. All successful adaptations by definition reflect the time they are adapted.

Look at the recent Vanity Fair.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 07, 2018, 03:31:00 PM
Hmmm... up to a point, but this is a new adaptation. They could have changed it, or picked a different book. All successful adaptations by definition reflect the time they are adapted.

Look at the recent Vanity Fair.

I would argue that they should also (or instead of) reflect the time they are set.

Sorry - I'm one of these people that doesn't think current thinking should be retroactively applied to the past if that past is trying to be represented authentically, and I'm dead against rewriting/reframing history on that basis.  If something is set in the 70s and aims to be realistic, I think it should be intentionally made to accurately reflect the time it's set, including the thinking and motivations of people at that time. 

Not only is it an authentic representation of the past, it also serves as a reminder/reference tool to the younger folk that that's what things used to be like.  Otherwise we're in real danger of having future generations not knowing the Black and White Minstrel Show existed in recent history.

gilbertharding

Well... obviously I'm not advocating making actual changes to drama so that they don't trigger our modern PC obsessed snowflake ect ect [sarcasm .

If it's vital that a drama is set in a particular historical setting, then the characters in it have to have attitudes and values which reflect those which actual people would have had in those times.

But at the same time, if that story is worth telling now, surely it also needs something universal, timeless, and if it's not contradictory, modern.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 07, 2018, 03:57:16 PM
Otherwise we're in real danger of having future generations not knowing the Black and White Minstrel Show existed in recent history.

And millions of ordinary people, including relatives of yours and mine probably, watched and enjoyed it. I think that's also an important thing to remember.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 07, 2018, 05:39:11 PM
And millions of ordinary people, including relatives of yours and mine probably, watched and enjoyed it. I think that's also an important thing to remember.

Oh, indeed so.  And it only finished REALLY recently in 1978.

But this is one of the things that massively fucks me off about these various equality movements at the moment and the most vocal (dare I use the word "extreme"?) supporters.  Of course I think it's right that we observe it all now and educate everyone in the ways of simple co-existence moving forward, but there are FAR too many people who want that same thinking to be put in a time machine and applied to all of history.  Lord knows I had enough disagreements with a certain poster who is no longer posting about this very matter.  I don't understand how or why anyone can truly believe that that is an okay or sensible thing to do.

Anyway, this is getting way off subject from a TV show which seems to be doing little more than bore most people to tears.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 07, 2018, 03:57:16 PM
I would argue that they should also (or instead of) reflect the time they are set.

Sorry - I'm one of these people that doesn't think current thinking should be retroactively applied to the past if that past is trying to be represented authentically, and I'm dead against rewriting/reframing history on that basis.  If something is set in the 70s and aims to be realistic, I think it should be intentionally made to accurately reflect the time it's set, including the thinking and motivations of people at that time. 

Not only is it an authentic representation of the past, it also serves as a reminder/reference tool to the younger folk that that's what things used to be like.  Otherwise we're in real danger of having future generations not knowing the Black and White Minstrel Show existed in recent history.

Well I'm not having any difficultly at all in both being an annoying tit about Israeli/Palestinian politics AND at the same time being an annoying tit thinking we should have known better than enjoying the Black And White Minstel Show when it was on thank you very much.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm conflicted, it's sort of interesting, but at the same time it seems like pro-establishment/isreal bollocks fronted by an almost stereotypically annoying insipid posh.

mothman

I'm enjoying watching this. I'm not sure I like it, but I'm enjoying it.

Sebastian Cobb

The long-faced spy woman who doesn't say anything and acts like a grumpy heavy looks like Noel Fielding in the background shots.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 14, 2018, 11:21:09 PM
The long-faced spy woman who doesn't say anything and acts like a grumpy heavy looks like Noel Fielding in the background shots.

My wife said the exact same thing.

Glad to say the shitness of the plot and the way it is told took its toll and we no longer have to watch it anymore!

Glad I won't see how this unfolds, will there be a twist at the end? who knows

Whatever happens this doesn't look good for Corbyn.