Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:28:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

One for the Guitarists...

Started by Sam, February 22, 2004, 11:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

Check out these clips of Guthrie Govan. He's on the staff of Guitar Techniques magazine and is one of the best guitarists in the UK/Europe/World. It's pretty technical but it's very melodic and musical at the same time. The files are pretty big but shouldn't be a problem if you're on broadband:

http://www.tonemerchants.com/Guthrie_Govan_Clips.htm

Also, you might want to check out this video of Shawn Lane (a recently deceased and quite obscure fusion guitarist from Memphis). It's jaw-dropping stuff but doesn't really represent his usual style (most of his compositions are quite slow and melodic...the fact that he can play mind-bendingly difficult stuff is almost incidental...he only really plays like this live)

http://s93554373.onlinehome.us/images/shredding.avi

JJJJH

They're fantastic videos, almost made me wish I'd picked up the guitar instead of bass. ;)

There are some great bass videos at http://www.gazzbass.com. This guy has a fantastic slap, and plays fantastically all-round.

Mac users might have trouble navigating, as with me I can't get the navigation panel down the left to load no matter what browser I use.

His showing-off videos can be found at:
http://www.gazzbass.com/Features/bass_videos_noframe.htm#jd

and his tutorials can be found at:
http://www.gazzbass.com/Features/technique/technique.asp#breakdown.

Matthias

Impressive, yes, but shredding is so passe these days isn't it?

Back in the late 80's, I used to practice all the usual metal techniques to the point where I suffered tendonitis in my fret hand. Nowadays, I tend to try to be more melodic in my compositions, using fast scalar flurries sparingly and only for the purpose of embellishment. Previously, shredding was the bulk of my compositions and as such made them all sound monotonous and tired.

It's still impressive though isn't it? I love fast guitar-play as performed by the likes of John McLaughlin and Al DiMeola. I'm a big fan of legato... anyone here an Allan Holdsworth fan?

Haha! Good to see someone praising the best guitarist on the planet. He was one of my guitar teachers at the ACM... some of the things he does spontaniously are just mindblowing, not all shred. Great bloke too, very modest about his playing, very funny, great teacher... the kind of guy everyone in the class wanted to invite out for a drink but didn't want to because he was Guthrie Govan.

And Shaun Lane.. the only stuff I have of his is his work with Jonas Hellborg. Good stuff.

Heh, this thread has my approval.

Matthias

I had a CD from Guitarist magazine that had a tutorial from Guthrie Govan on it. It was the guitar solo from a Dream Theater track (can't recall which one) and it was awesome!

Didn't he used to be 'Flash Bastard' from Zodiac Mindwarp?

Quote from: "Matthias"Didn't he used to be 'Flash Bastard' from Zodiac Mindwarp?

No.

Sam

QuoteIt's still impressive though isn't it? I love fast guitar-play as performed by the likes of John McLaughlin and Al DiMeola. I'm a big fan of legato... anyone here an Allan Holdsworth fan?

Yeah, I'm a big Holdsworth fan. Check out that Shawn Lane video I posted. His style is similar (but not a rip-off) and he cites Holdsworth as a big inspiration.

QuoteI had a CD from Guitarist magazine that had a tutorial from Guthrie Govan on it. It was the guitar solo from a Dream Theater track (can't recall which one) and it was awesome!

Guitarist magazine? I know that Guthrie transcribed and played "Under A Glass Moon" for Guitar Techniques a number of years ago.

QuoteHaha! Good to see someone praising the best guitarist on the planet. He was one of my guitar teachers at the ACM... some of the things he does spontaniously are just mindblowing, not all shred. Great bloke too, very modest about his playing, very funny, great teacher... the kind of guy everyone in the class wanted to invite out for a drink but didn't want to because he was Guthrie Govan.

And Shaun Lane.. the only stuff I have of his is his work with Jonas Hellborg. Good stuff.

Heh, this thread has my approval.

He was one of your teachers? I'm jealous. My old guitar teacher was taught by Shaun Baxter, also of Guitar Techniques fame and I swear he's almost as good as Baxter, Govan or any of the big cheeses of the British GUitarists scene. I was lucky to have him.

You should try downloading some of Lane's solo stuff--it's very different to his work with Hellborg. Also, check out these sites:

www.shawnlane.org
www.tarsun.net
www.abstractlogix.com

By the way, you do know he died last year, don't you? What a loss! The guy was legend.

boki

Quote from: "Matthias"I had a CD from Guitarist magazine that had a tutorial from Guthrie Govan on it. It was the guitar solo from a Dream Theater track (can't recall which one) and it was awesome!

Didn't he used to be 'Flash Bastard' from Zodiac Mindwarp?

I think  Jan Cyrka was Flash Bastard.  I've got a mate who's well into that stuff, keep meaning to borrow some Dream Thater 'cos I quite like the only song of their's I've heard.

Gazeuse

Holdsworth fans should also check out Frank Gambale...Stunning!!!

Sam

Brett Garsed is another one! His legato is probably just as sick as Holdsworth. And the melody. Oh the melody!