Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:50:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Netflix's Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (The Teenage Witch)

Started by Sin Agog, October 27, 2018, 02:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

Only seen the first episode, but it was really good.  Felt more like Buffy than Bewitched.  Plus, it added a bit of Giles-like Limey gravitas by casting Lucy Davis and Miranda Otto as Hilda and Zelda. The actress playing Sabrina's great as well.  At least, she's ten times more charismatic than Melissa Joan Hart ever was.

Seems to be pissing a few peoples off who don't like the feminism angle, but that's kind of what a smart fifteen-year-old girl in this day and age would be concerned about, isn't it?

Anyway, worth a go just in case you saw it and imagined it would be a naff sitcom remake.  Has a bit of that drifty Netflix feeling, but its Buffyisms more than make up for it.

Mister Six

Quote from: Sin Agog on October 27, 2018, 02:56:55 PM
Seems to be pissing a few peoples off who don't like the feminism angle

Good, they deserve to be pissed off.

On quite literally the opposite note, are the aunts sexy? I used to fancy Zelda.

Michelle Gomez is in this at some point playing Miss Satan or something, so that's another reason to watch it.

Ja'moke

I'm glad you made this thread! I wanted to but didn't want to seem like I was just using it as an excuse to post my recaps (I'm recapping the show for TV Insider).

But yes, I've seen eight episodes, and for the most part, I'm really enjoying it. It's definitely Buffy-inspired (episode five especially); not quite as subversive as that show, but it's that similar blend of Gothic horror meets teen-drama with elements of dark humour. And yes, both shows have a definite feminist-bent - but it's a show about a teenage witch, I think that is to be expected.

I think Kiernan Shipka's performance is really genuine and makes her an easy character to root for. And as Sin said above, the casting of Lucy Davis and Miranda Otto as the Aunts is a really inspired choice. Those two often steal the show. And Michelle Gomez camps it up as the possessed Miss Wardwell.

Some of the side-plots are a little thinly drawn. But everything surrounding the Spellman's is great fun.

If anyone is interested in my recaps, here's my thoughts on the first episode: https://www.tvinsider.com/725511/chilling-adventures-of-sabrina-season-1-premiere-recap/

And you can find the rest here (I'll be posting a new one every day): https://www.tvinsider.com/author/mholmes/

Sin Agog

Quote from: Mister Six on October 27, 2018, 03:20:37 PM
Good, they deserve to be pissed off.

On quite literally the opposite note, are the aunts sexy? I used to fancy Zelda.

Michelle Gomez is in this at some point playing Miss Satan or something, so that's another reason to watch it.

Oh shit, it's her off of Green Wing!  I knew I recognised her.  She seems to almost be having as much fun playing a shape-shifting total witch.

The aunts are Dawn from the Office and Eowyn from The Lord of The Rings, so it's up to you.

New Jack

It's ace. Really enjoying it, the horror tone, the cast, Sabrina is lovely and keeps making me sympathise, which is odd as I'm an older dude who isn't half witch.

Some predictable story beats in the first few episodes but after that it seems to become really strong and superb.

Re: sexy aunts. Nothing will top the cut away in the (unrelated) series everyone remembers - where the aunts mudwrestled.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Ja'moke on October 27, 2018, 03:24:02 PM
I'm glad you made this thread! I wanted to but didn't want to seem like I was just using it as an excuse to post my recaps (I'm recapping the show for TV Insider).

If anyone is interested in my recaps, here's my thoughts on the first episode: https://www.tvinsider.com/725511/chilling-adventures-of-sabrina-season-1-premiere-recap/

And you can find the rest here (I'll be posting a new one every day): https://www.tvinsider.com/author/mholmes/

Ta for the links. Will certainly be headed there after each episode, like I did with your Twin Peaks recaps.

mothman

Is there a talking cat though? No talking cat is a red line for me.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: mothman on October 27, 2018, 04:48:51 PM
Is there a talking cat though? No talking cat is a red line for me.

I saw the cat in the trailer.

Sin Agog

Salem's there, but he doesn't talk.  Sabrina now has a cousin who kind of steps into the confidante role, and he can talk. So there is a talking cousin.

Small Man Big Horse

The talking cat was my favourite thing about the original show and is a dealbreaker for me too, especially if it doesn't look like it died several years ago.

New Jack

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 27, 2018, 05:07:40 PM
The talking cat was my favourite thing about the original show and is a dealbreaker for me too, especially if it doesn't look like it died several years ago.

Went in blind, wondered where Salem was, realised it was by the same creator of the horror comic reboot thing of a few years ago that was highly rated and parked my cynical ass down for a proper watch. Cause its a different property. A go at a different thing.

Even retain this view after adjusting to no possibility of a Valerie / Libby lez up. Hmm, I think I need to update my Sabrina references from my 'Horny Teenager' era.

It's a go at this thing:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilling_Adventures_of_Sabrina

mothman

A talking cousin. That's what you're trying to sell me on? Look, if I want to talk to a cousin, I'll go talk to one of my cousins. Fuck knows I've got enough of them. I want talking cats! And ambulatory skeletons (I love anything with skeletons walking and/or talking, me).

Sin Agog

Quote from: mothman on October 27, 2018, 05:14:41 PM
A talking cousin. That's what you're trying to sell me on? Look, if I want to talk to a cousin, I'll go talk to one of my cousins. Fuck knows I've got enough of them. I want talking cats! And ambulatory skeletons (I love anything with skeletons walking and/or talking, me).

If it's any consolation, Salem can now transform into a massive killer demon at will and eviscerate anything that might cause harm to Sabrina. Except for hurt feelings.  You're not allowed to eviscerate hurt feelings in America until you're 21.

New Jack

Quote from: mothman on October 27, 2018, 05:14:41 PM

Bit puzzled by his storyline of just asking Sabrina, cousin, to go bowling!

Nah. Even that cousin is superbly acted (he hits that "always want more" sweet spot and probably fills the sarky unwilling-inmate Salem role). Seems to grow into it. Hope he does anyway. Didn't know what the fuck to make of him til I realised he was ace.

Second season already greenlit.

Watch it if you fancy a Sabrina thing with a horror dramedy bent. For reals. And you know I'm for reals cause who says for reals nowadays? Who says nowadays nowadays? For reals.

magval

Suppose with Netflix releasing everything in a single day like always, it'd be a harder to justify a Christmas episode about 12 episodes into the season/year.

So that's Bobunk out the window. Suppose without Nick Bakay it's no great loss.

Shit Good Nose

Little Nose started watching it earlier, with me thinking and saying "yeah, just some cheesy light hearted fun".  Had to switch it off when she ran out to the kitchen in tears.

My own fault for not realising Netflix had turned it into a horror for young adults (I won't be sending an idiotic Points Of View style e-mail to Netflix or the BBC complaining about my own ignorance and poor parenting).

BlodwynPig

Never tire of seeing Sarah Jane Redmond appear in shows. Much underrated actress.

mothman

I don't know if TeenMoth will be watching this, but then she may find it a bit basic, turns out she's been using my profile to watch Jigsaw and Kill Bill, for fuck's sake. And if she does, she probably won't want to bother with Buffy The Vampire Slayer, which I've been trying to get her to watch.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: mothman on October 27, 2018, 10:58:31 PM
I don't know if TeenMoth will be watching this, but then she may find it a bit basic, turns out she's been using my profile to watch Jigsaw and Kill Bill, for fuck's sake. And if she does, she probably won't want to bother with Buffy The Vampire Slayer, which I've been trying to get her to watch.

If she is early teen, I'd hope she watched this and Buffy and not jump straight to mid- to late-teen fare like JigfuckingSaw.

BlodwynPig

I'm pretty sure I saw a Pocahontas in the second episode Halloween party.

BlodwynPig

ha! it's the guy from Perfect Strangers (the principle)

Sin Agog

My enjoyment gained a new layer during Hilda's Frank Henenlotter-inspired nightmare sequence.  On top of being well-acted and fun, it's weird, too!

Sin Agog

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 28, 2018, 01:39:28 AM
ha! it's the guy from Perfect Strangers (the principle)

Also the effete guy with the fancy coffees who worked in the art gallery in Beverly Hills Cop.

Moribunderast

I really want to watch this but Netflix is taking the piss at this point. I'm still finishing MANIAC and last week they released Haunting House, Daredevil, Making A Murder 2, not to mention releasing Bojack and Big Mouth recently. There's not enough fucken time for this shit! I am very much looking forward to checking this out, probably by next April.

checkoutgirl

Dunno why but I find shows where the main cast are teens unwatchable.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: checkoutgirl on October 28, 2018, 07:27:13 AM
Dunno why but I find shows where the main cast are teens unwatchable.

too much silly angst. Yeh, this suffers from that - but there is a certain warmth that makes it watchable.

magval

The discussions about Night of the Living Dead in the first episode.

You think any teenagers actually talk like that? American media would have you believe it's really common.

Sin Agog

Quote from: magval on October 28, 2018, 06:39:32 PM
The discussions about Night of the Living Dead in the first episode.

You think any teenagers actually talk like that? American media would have you believe it's really common.

Young teens being eerily well-versed in the canon is actually something unique to the last couple of generations.  You used to have to rely on an older brother or the dude in ye olde record shoppe, but now all you need is a couple of lists and you're on your way.

But if you're talking about them saying shit like They're coming to get you, Barbara is a reference to the patriarchy or whatever... No idea.  Luckily the tone changes pretty quickly after that.

magval

Harvey asking why the zombies were slow is how teenagers go on. Good man, Harvey. That IS different to everything you would have watched (except arguably the most popular show on TV, at the moment).

But that scene in the cafe is just bollox. I watched a wee bit of Scream 2 last night and it had some of the same. Young people don't sit around talking about what films MEAN, do they? Even Wes Craven, who did it in a film that was designed to present its own workings and dissect them, live, couldn't make it work.