Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:36:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Netflix's Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (The Teenage Witch)

Started by Sin Agog, October 27, 2018, 02:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: magval on October 28, 2018, 11:32:56 PM
Harvey asking why the zombies were slow is how teenagers go on. Good man, Harvey. That IS different to everything you would have watched (except arguably the most popular show on TV, at the moment).

But that scene in the cafe is just bollox. I watched a wee bit of Scream 2 last night and it had some of the same. Young people don't sit around talking about what films MEAN, do they? Even Wes Craven, who did it in a film that was designed to present its own workings and dissect them, live, couldn't make it work.

But this is a fantasy comic horror. The devil aint a goat, either.

magval

magval

That's a very good point Blodders. I confess I'm guilty of expecting people in shows like this to behave the way you'd expect people of that type to behave in reality.

Teenagers discussing meta is, I think, one thing I can't get past when it comes to fiction. Fucking pukes.

I enjoyed the first episode in its vacuum but I won't watch any more, I don't think. Lucy Davis pulls me out of things bad enough, but Too Many Legs turning up with an armful of ham right before the credits was a warning sign too many.

Timothy

First episode was quite dull with lots of bad dialogue. Does it get better?

Malcy

Haven't seen it and probably won't but there's a room in covered in original Clive Barker artworks to keep an eye out for.

New Jack

Sin Agog

I'm almost definitely alone in thinking this, but the boy who plays Harvey (easily the worst member of the principal cast) looks weirdly like a young Michael Ironside.

And talking of lookalikes, I was convinced they'd brought in Taika Waititi to play the bookshop owner until I saw the credits.

BlodwynPig

Timothy

Tried another episode but it's still quite difficult to watch. The dialogue (in which they have to explain everything twice or sometimes even three times) that never sound natural and the fact that every problem is solved within a few minutes puts me off. Not for me I guess.

McFlymo

Good: Surprised that it was so dark (don't know anything about comic book adaptations and the like, my only reference point was the cheesy, 90s show).

Bad: lame dialogue from the cheesy teen characters.

Good: The aunts are interesting. Michele Gomez - almost makes up for everything else!

Bad: As mentioned, it turns into Harry Potter after a couple of episodes.

Watching style: I've been doing about 50% of an episode per night, then promptly falling asleep. It seems the dark moodiness and corniness blend to make a lovely sleep-inducing broth...

Rocket Surgery

Quote from: New Jack on October 27, 2018, 03:27:35 PM
Nothing will top the cut away in the (unrelated) series everyone remembers - where the aunts mudwrestled.

Pray tell, where may I find this?

Thursday

4 episodes in, I'm thinking these would be better if they were 40 minutes long.

Also I get kind of irritated by this plot device where the antagonists have decided long ago that they absolutely fucking hate the main character because of who their parents were. Just makes them seem kind of stupid and annoying more than anything.

Still enjoying it overall though.

monolith

This is alright but it is sorely missing the classic talking cat one liners such as "show me the tuna" and "I'm having a bad fur day".

Also when the phone would ring he would say "phone" because the phone was ringing.

Sin Agog

Christmas special out now.  Maybe a bit flat, but better than Nativity 2 to 4.

Thursday

Quote from: Thursday on November 01, 2018, 11:00:37 PM
4 episodes in, I'm thinking these would be better if they were 40 minutes long.

Also I get kind of irritated by this plot device where the antagonists have decided long ago that they absolutely fucking hate the main character because of who their parents were. Just makes them seem kind of stupid and annoying more than anything.

Still enjoying it overall though.

I didn't get back to watching it, so I guess I wasn't enjoying it.

Sin Agog

That was more those three orphan characters hating Brina because she even had parents at all.

It did all feel a bit naffer than I remembered it when I watched that special last night.  Needs a couple of ultra-charismatic scoobies added to the gang, I reckon.  Having one trans friend and one with psychic myopia doesn't make up for the charisma vacuum in everyone but the Spellmans and Michelle Gomez.