Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,173
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:18:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Ashcroft on BBC Breakfast

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, October 27, 2018, 03:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I'm glad that this pillock exists, he's a tremendous source of mirth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNJs3OODpiQ

What's going on with his voice? He's from Wigan but sounds like a cross between transatlantic Ringo Starr and Barry Homeowner. The man's an enigma.

jobotic

Richie Shaw
1 day ago
He is mad as a box of frogs but I love him. Does not care what he says if he says it. Legend.

Do the people who buy Richard Ashcroft's solo albums actually like them, or do they buy them out of a misguided sense of duty? Are they the sort of people who venerate him - and Liam Gallagher - for being proper rock stars, despite the fact that the music they churn out these days is dreadful?

I know that's skirting dangerously close to "music for people who don't like music" territory, but I honestly can't imagine anyone engaging passionately with his banal MOR dirges.

I saw him in concert last night (I was reviewing it), and the mood in the room dipped considerably whenever he strayed from his Verve hits. He's an undoubtedly charismatic performer, he has a good, distinctive voice, but his solo music is excrementally boring. He opened with a song called Hold On, FFS. Even Noel Gallagher would think twice about using that as a title.

BlodwynPig

Howj Begg

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 27, 2018, 04:19:13 PM
He's an undoubtedly charismatic performer, he has a good, distinctive voice, but his solo music is excrementally boring. He opened with a song called Hold On, FFS. Even Noel Gallagher would think twice about using that as a title.

Different drugs innit. It's one of the few explanations that makes sense as to what happened to Ashcroft.

Do the people who buy Richard Ashcroft's solo albums actually like them, or do they buy them out of a misguided sense of duty? Are they the sort of people who venerate him - and Liam Gallagher - for being proper rock stars, despite the fact that the music they churn out these days is dreadful?

I know that's skirting dangerously close to "music for people who don't like music" territory, but I honestly can't imagine anyone engaging passionately with his banal MOR dirges.

errr... different drugs?

purlieu

Horrible try-hard idiot.
I'm also trying to discern what exactly is "rock'n'roll" about his solo material, because I've come across many definitions over the years, but being a boring middle aged man with an acoustic guitar seems to be the polar opposite of them all.

daf

Was he wearing sunglasses?

I BET he was wearing sunglasses . . .

in Manchester . . .

in October . . .

INDOORS!!!

(off to check if he was actually wearing sunglasses)

- - - - - - - - -

Hah - I KNEW it!

thraxx

I saw him in concert last night (I was reviewing it), and the mood in the room dipped considerably whenever he strayed from his Verve hits. He's an undoubtedly charismatic performer, he has a good, distinctive voice, but his solo music is excrementally boring. He opened with a song called Hold On, FFS. Even Noel Gallagher would think twice about using that as a title.

Richard Ashcroft is singularly responsible for Liam Gallagher.

I was thinking about Ashcroft the other day. He's a proper working class hero who lucked into a few quid. He's the musical equivalent of the bloke cutting about the estate in a Cortina Ghia and a massive chunky gold chain and drinking creme de menthe down the pub. Love the Verve and all that and he is a great live frontman, but yes his solo stuff is as pedestrian and insipid as fuck.

non capisco

They knew what they were in for when they booked him. He's a natural rebel. You don't book Richard Ashcroft and then start worrying "Oh no, I hope he doesn't get up and look out of the window!" Err...newsflash, guys. It's Richard Ashcroft. He's going to. Of course there'll be people saying "This sort of thing shouldn't be on television. My twelve year old son dotes on Richard Ashcroft, what if when he's at school he decides to get up from his desk and look out of the window?" But I'd rather my son was listening to REAL musicians like Richard Ashcroft rather than the likes of Ed Sheeran who's probably never got up and looked out of a window in his life. Richard Ashcroft is bringing the old spirit of rock back. Viva true rock 'n' roll!  If BBC Breakfast had been on in the 70s and Led Zeppelin were the guests you know all four of them would have been making an immediate beeline for that window.

thraxx

Quote from: non capisco on October 27, 2018, 06:32:23 PM
They knew what they were in for when they booked him. He's a natural rebel. You don't book Richard Ashcroft and then start worrying "Oh no, I hope he doesn't get up and look out of the window!" Err...newsflash, guys. It's Richard Ashcroft. He's going to. Of course there'll be people saying "This sort of thing shouldn't be on television. My twelve year old son dotes on Richard Ashcroft, what if when he's at school he decides to get up from his desk and look out of the window?" But I'd rather my son was listening to REAL musicians like Richard Ashcroft rather than the likes of Ed Sheeran who's probably never got up and looked out of a window in his life. Richard Ashcroft is bringing the old spirit of rock back. Viva true rock 'n' roll!  If BBC Breakfast had been on in the 70s and Led Zeppelin were the guests you know all four of them would have been making an immediate beeline for that window.

This is true.

thraxx

Quote from: non capisco on October 27, 2018, 06:32:23 PM

I've watched the clip now. He is hilarious. Annoying and ridiculous, but hilarious.  If I had watched that when I was 14, I would have been inspired to go to school and fanny about just like him. I love the fact he is such a rebel he can't be told anything, even when what he is being told makes sense or might be right. What can anyone tell him after all? He is a millionaire rock star who got where he is the hard way.

purlieu

First man to lie on a BBC news sofa on live TV.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: purlieu on October 27, 2018, 06:49:41 PM
First man to lie on a BBC news sofa on live TV.

I think Corden did it in 2009, and Peter Kay twice (2011, 2013). It had to be replaced on those three occasions.

jobotic

The other thing with him is that he makes proper music not just pressing a button on a machine.

thraxx

Quote from: jobotic on October 27, 2018, 07:51:54 PM
The other thing with him is that he makes proper music not just pressing a button on a machine.

non capisco

Quote from: jobotic on October 27, 2018, 07:51:54 PM

Exactly. He sits down with an acoustic guitar and writes a song. I'd like to see the likes of Ed Sheeran do that.

Spiteface

Quote from: thraxx on October 27, 2018, 05:47:16 PM
Richard Ashcroft is singularly responsible for Liam Gallagher.

Both of them are largely jokes without the guitarists in their respective former bands. Liam is essentially his own tribute act now. It's gonna be interesting if when he has a second solo album under his belt if he decided to scale back on his big brother's songs.

When are Black Submarine doing another album?

Twed

thraxx

Quote from: Spiteface on October 27, 2018, 08:13:57 PM
Both of them are largely jokes without the guitarists in their respective former bands. Liam is essentially his own tribute act now. It's gonna be interesting if when he has a second solo album under his belt if he decided to scale back on his big brother's songs.

When are Black Submarine doing another album?

That's true, and it's also the same of Ian Brown and the Stone Roses.  But all three them of this bloody minded, refusal to accept their own weaknesses, cock of the walk attitude that has somehow bankrolled and therefore validated their perceptions of themselves, a sort idiot savant self fulfilling prophecy.  Ashcroft is their King would have got through I think whatever band he ended up in.

Meanwhile is Nick McCabe still selling his guitars on You Tube?  He is mainstay in my top 5 fave guitarists ever.

Brundle-Fly

I enjoyed that. He looks and sounds like John Cooper Clarke's snotty younger brother. The last vestiges of that particular ethos burning out before our eyes. Haven't listened to a note of his music in twenty years though.

the science eel

How'd you think he'd react if Andrew Neil and Michael Portillo started dancing around him like bellsends?

dex

Quote from: the science eel on October 27, 2018, 09:08:10 PM
How'd you think he'd react if Andrew Neil and Michael Portillo started dancing around him like bellsends?

They were probably doing coke together in the green room.

Jockice

Quote from: thraxx on October 27, 2018, 08:24:13 PM
That's true, and it's also the same of Ian Brown and the Stone Roses.

Yes, but Ian Brown's solo stuff is much better than the Stone Roses. Admittedly I'm possibly the only person on Earth who believes this but it doesn't make it less true.

As for Ashcroft, I've had a soft spot for him since I interviewed him in the mid-90s and he was really pleasant. I like about four Verve songs and could only name about three of his solo ones so I'd rather see him dicking about in front of Naga and Charlie than listen to his music.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Jockice on October 28, 2018, 08:09:28 AM
Yes, but Ian Brown's solo stuff is much better than the Stone Roses. Admittedly I'm possibly the only person on Earth who believes this but it doesn't make it less true.

I'd go with that being untrue, but his solo stuff has been surprisingly good.
Certainly better than any of John Squire's post-Roses offerings.
Golden Greats* is a great album.

*I might have got the title wrong, but it's the one he wrote most of in prison.

wosl

Quote from: the science eel on October 27, 2018, 09:08:10 PMHow'd you think he'd react if Andrew Neil and Michael Portillo started dancing around him like bellsends?

Ha, I wondered about that.  Ashcroft would doubtless have joined in, albeit after clambering onto the table and converting it into a makeshift look-at-me podium.  Can just picture him locating the right camera like a pro and exaggeratedly mouthing "COME ONNNNNN!!" into it to the minions at home, while maintaining the mock-Jagger hip-waggle and otherwise holding his gob open in a rictus pucker.  Everything's a competition to Ashcroft, isn't it, and that would include who can act like the best bell on political chinwag telly.

alan nagsworth

This is amazing. I enjoyed it so much, a guy unabashedly clinging on to any semblance of rock 'n' roll excess whilst embodying absolutely none of it. Just a complete joy to watch.

"You used to have to shout to the guy or the girl next to you at a concert. That's because of the resonance."

Fucking belter of a line.

non capisco

The best bit was when he got up and looked out of the window.