Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:40:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Ashcroft on BBC Breakfast

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, October 27, 2018, 03:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidnightShambler

You can't lump Ian Brown in with Ashcroft and Gallagher. Well, not musically anyway. Brown has had a genuinely good solo career (in my opinion, of course) with quite a few genuinely great tunes. I'll be honest, I prefer him solo to the Roses, at least he tries to go off in odd directions instead of just plowing the same shitty furrow like the Verve twat and the arsehole.

I managed 15 seconds of that interview before I had to turn it off, he was that much of a gobshite I got genuinely annoyed. He had 5 minutes of credibility 20 years ago and now he just reminds me of Ringo Fucking Starr, same type of Californian showbiz oddness where they think it's charismatic to be weird.

I still quite like Song For Lovers though.

sevendaughters

have a weird relationship with Ashcroft as I am from Wigan and was growing up in the last days of Britpop. people applied to go to the sixth form I went to because The Verve Went There. The Verve's homecoming show was my first gig. A girl I was in love with lived next door to the flat he grew up in. He's become kind of a negative inspiration down the years - for some truly dreadful solo material, for wrecking the potential of the second Verve reformation with a ton of his awful ballads when they could have had a record that sounded like these two:

Blue Pacific Ocean - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUmTCHl4EGo
The Thaw Session - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6GwgIwJtYk

Even worse he's something of an actual dumbass but without being the Proper Rock Star he bangs on about a lot. He moved from Chippenham in shame when he rocked up at a scout hut pissed while a kid's party was on - https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/806587.rock-star-fined-for-disorderly-behaviour/ - and now he lives, and part of the reason I think we're linked, just down the road from me.

Also, of note to me - he was on a major label, but did his last solo album These People on his own label in assocation with clearing house label Cooking Vinyl. Now he's back on BMG? Is he big in Europe or something? His RPA & The United Nations of Sound album is the clubhouse leader for Worst Album of the Decade too. I can't find the music video but I think he named the backing band because...they're not white?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpobkSRpqfc

This all said - his new single is the best thing he's done since Song for the Lovers, so a solid 6.25/10.

the science eel

is he a slap-yer-back, shake-yer-hand, how's-it-going kinda fella? 'cos if he is, I can forgive him some of this tomfoolery

rue the polywhirl

Just checked out the new album, really good washing up music with lots of dishwater sounds. The last two tracks are actually a step up though. Streets Of Amsterdam if you can forgive the really tired John and Yoko themed lyrics have a quite pretty falsetto refrain and last track Money Money he actually tries to play rock music - Jumpin Jack Ashcroft.

I'll always appreciate his vocals on Unkle's Lonely Souls.

madhair60

Shitchard Gashcroft. Slaughtered. Good night.

Captain Z

I have just realised that Ian Brown and Richard Ashcroft are different people. My mind has never made any distinction between them before now.

Jerzy Bondov

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on November 08, 2018, 02:11:00 PM
You like the lining though, don't you mmm?

Do you find sir, mmm, that you, yes, you get through more hand towels?

Quote from: thraxx on October 27, 2018, 08:24:13 PM
Meanwhile is Nick McCabe still selling his guitars on You Tube?  He is mainstay in my top 5 fave guitarists ever.

I googled him to see how he was doing, and found this photo from The Shropshire Star that looks like it was taken for Google Streetview:

Operty1

Was that picture taken for their local newspaper after they lost their dog or something? Not even the kid looks happy. Also, Ashcroft looks like a corpse, in that picture above.