Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:43:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Adam Sandler 100% Fresh (Netflix special)

Started by up_the_hampipe, October 27, 2018, 08:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Well, I was unexpectedly blown away by this. Sandler's first proper special since returning to stand-up. There's some great bits, plenty of amusing songs and an emotional tribute to Chris Farley, all presented in quite a unique production. Jumping around from clubs, to theatres, to arenas and outdoor venues, but without being too jarring. It's a pleasant surprise and I'd really recommend it.

Mr Faineant

He looks old. That's normal of course, but I don't like seeing people I think of as young looking old.

robotam

Just watched it and thought it was pretty great. The Farley tribute was nice, but I actually got more emotional at the The Wedding Singer reprise. I watched that movie all the time when I was wee and the soundtrack was the first music I ever asked for. I assume it doesn't hold up.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: robotam on October 29, 2018, 08:14:34 PMThe Wedding Singer[/color] reprise. I watched that movie all the time when I was wee and the soundtrack was the first music I ever asked for. I assume it doesn't hold up.

It does, it's a lovely, charming, funny film.

madhair60

It's really funny and good! What's going on? His movies make me want to kill myself but this is just silly and funny.

magval

Does he make fun of disabled or gay people in this? Is he mean? I've always thought it must be possible to like Adam Sandler but his films and single haircut ever make it very difficult.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: magval on November 02, 2018, 09:08:02 PM
Does he make fun of disabled or gay people in this? Is he mean? I've always thought it must be possible to like Adam Sandler but his films and single haircut ever make it very difficult.

No, just watch it. Stop thinking about the shit films or his perception or what liking an Adam Sandler project would say about you. Getting CaB folk to unfold their arms and watch something with an open mind is like sucking a lemon through a straw, I tells ya!

magval

OK mate, I will do that. I want to, I reckon, or I'd not have come in here. Will report back.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: magval on November 02, 2018, 10:47:40 PM
OK mate, I will do that. I want to, I reckon, or I'd not have come in here. Will report back.

Cool, looking forward to it!

Twit 2

Count me up as another person for whom Sandler doesn't appeal, but liked this. Love the throwaway vibe and silly songs - didn't realise he was such a good musician.

magval

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 02, 2018, 11:03:47 PM
Cool, looking forward to it!

Very good. Effortlessly good at this, isn't he? Total command of the stage, makes it look easy. He's very actually funny, enormously talented. Aye. Thanks for this. Have passed the word onto others not to miss out.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: magval on November 04, 2018, 12:04:23 AM
Very good. Effortlessly good at this, isn't he? Total command of the stage, makes it look easy. He's very actually funny, enormously talented. Aye. Thanks for this. Have passed the word onto others not to miss out.

Glad you liked. Spread the word!

phes

Really enjoyed this. Took me back to being 15 again and loving They're all gonna laugh at you and the like, and those couple of funny films he did. What else has he been doing in the meantime, I must check it out

Sandler being funny again. I did not see this coming. I feel kinda sad

Lord Mandrake

Loved the songs in this especially! Just wish Sandler wouldn't corpse quite so much.

Dr Trouser

Quote from: Twit 2 on November 03, 2018, 02:57:05 PM
- didn't realise he was such a good musician.

clearly you've never seen this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py2f38iPBeI (I'm sure 60 million of those views were my daughter during the year 2013)

but yeah thanks for flagging this up, i'll have a watch, Like most here I've avoided his films, so am quite interested.

lankyguy95

This was fucking great. Puerile and silly, and moving at the end. Really didn't expect it.

lazyhour

Thanks for the heads up - will give this a watch.

There are a small number of good Adam Sandler films. Punch Drunk Love is one.

olliebean

Quote from: lazyhour on November 29, 2018, 08:40:57 PM
Thanks for the heads up - will give this a watch.

There are a small number of good Adam Sandler films. Punch Drunk Love is one.

That's not an Adam Sandler film, though, as such. It's a Paul Thomas Anderson film starring Adam Sandler. He has been in a few good films, but I don't think I've seen one of his own films (i.e., written by him) that wasn't awful.

Every Adam Sandler film is great and better than any British comedy film.