Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:46:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Apu being written out of The Simpsons [split topic]

Started by Malcy, October 27, 2018, 11:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Apu is being written out to avoid any more controversy.

https://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2018/10/27/the-simpsons-is-reportedly-going-to-drop-the-apu-character-altogether-following-controversy

I sort of gave up towards the end of the last series and hadn't started on the new one in recent weeks. I certainly won't be watching now after reading this.

Pandering to the whiney PC Brigade instead of standing their ground. Nah fuck right off Simpsons.

neveragain

Not that I'll miss him but it's a cowardly way out.

jobotic

Yeah it's been unremittingly shit for years and years, about 18 seasons, but it's the whiney PC brigade that have done for it.

Blumf

Petey Pate

According to Mike Reiss on his Chapo Trap House appearance, Apu had already been quietly retired before The Problem With Apu came out, his last appearance being in an episode where Apu meets a young relative voiced by an Indian actor.

Replies From View

Quote from: Petey Pate on October 27, 2018, 11:45:20 AM
According to Mike Reiss on his Chapo Trap House appearance, Apu had already been quietly retired before The Problem With Apu came out, his last appearance being in an episode where Apu meets a young relative voiced by an Indian actor.

What about him having an old relative voiced by an Indian actor.

idunnosomename

It's not so much that they're "pandering to the PC brigade". I don't think the Indian who did "the problem with Apu" wants the show to have no Indian characters at all.

It's just them being fucking lazy and not even trying to address the issue. Which is hardly surprising.

Clownbaby

Given the quality of the writing nowadays they'd probably do more harm than good if they tried to reference the Apu thing in episode.

Here's an idea Simpsons why don't you just go away

Just go away entirely

Go away

New Jack

Why don't they just say Apu has become a naturalised American so his accent has faded somewhat?

Ah, cause that could be brave and not lazy. Gotcha, Simpsons staff.

Thursday

Quote from: Clownbaby on October 27, 2018, 11:53:43 AM
Given the quality of the writing nowadays they'd probably do more harm than good if they tried to reference the Apu thing in episode.

Just go away entirely

Go away

Well exactly, this wouldn't have been much of an issue if the show had just ended 20 years ago like it should have. We'd just look back and think "hmm Apu was a bit dodgy, I suppose, but they generally meant well by the character."

Blumf

Part of the problem with this lazy and cowardly exit is that it doesn't resolve anything. We've still got Apu appearing in the endless repeats, the problem is still there. They really need to tackle the issue head on.

BritishHobo

It's also cowardly because they clearly don't think it's a problem. Many of those involved in the show have gone on record to scoff that everyone is just pretending to be offended. There's no risk that keeping him around will doom the show, because it's unsinkable at this point, and there are clearly enough voices in oppposition to the critics that they wouldn't be stood alone. They neither have the courage of their convictions nor the courage to genuinely consider the opposing point of view.

Sin Agog

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 27, 2018, 04:20:39 PM
there are clearly enough voices in oppposition to the critics that they wouldn't be stood alone.

Unfortunately, all of them are comedy racist voices.

up_the_hampipe

Hari Kondabolu seems disappointed that they're getting rid of Apu https://twitter.com/harikondabolu/status/1055904344980275200

I'm confused as to what he wanted out of his documentary then. Does he want Apu to have a different voice after nearly 30 years? Does he want more Apu back story? I don't really understand his reaction. I thought The Problem With Apu was that he was an offensive stereotype in the voice and lifestyle. Apu can't become a different person. Either they carry on or they get rid of him. They might bring in a more rounded Indian character after this.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Clownbaby on October 27, 2018, 11:53:43 AM

Just go away entirely

Go away

They did reference it last year, and it was indeed a horrible moment.

BritishHobo

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 27, 2018, 04:55:13 PM

I'm confused as to what he wanted out of his documentary then. Does he want Apu to have a different voice after nearly 30 years? Does he want more Apu back story? I don't really understand his reaction. I thought The Problem With Apu was that he was an offensive stereotype in the voice and lifestyle. Apu can't become a different person. Either they carry on or they get rid of him. They might bring in a more rounded Indian character after this.

I think the point is that the damage has been done, and he's just trying to demonstrate that and push for better representation on TV.

It really fucking bums me out looking on Twitter and seeing how people treat him. He and others spend their whole lives getting bullied and abused because of representations like Apu, they dare to speak about their experiences, and they just get written off as a PC brigade.

Clive Langham

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 27, 2018, 05:39:35 PM
I think the point is that the damage has been done, and he's just trying to demonstrate that and push for better representation on TV.

But, largely due to his documentary, there's going to be less representation.

Is having no representation at all better than "problematic" representation?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 27, 2018, 05:39:35 PM

But The Simpsons (unfortunately) must continue and what happens with Apu? I think quietly writing him out is the best move. Hank Azaria clearly seemed to take this seriously (after dismissing it for so long), so I can't imagine he'd ever be comfortable stepping in a booth and doing that voice again. The documentary picked up traction, opened a conversation and The Simpsons had to answer it. He might not actively fight for them to get rid of Apu, but it just seems a little odd that he would be unhappy with them making that decision.

Clive Langham

Surely Kondabolu must have known that this might happen.

Clive Langham

In fact - he's an intelligent man, surely he must have known this was the likeliest outcome. Certainly more likely than them hiring a native South-Asian to do Apu's voice.

I think he was trying to start a nuanced and wide-ranging conversation about a sensitive topic, one that addresses negatives and positives, which is culturally impossible because every lunkhead immediately starts bellowing "What are your exact demands then?" and people throw the baby out with the bathwater because thinking is too difficult

petril

at least it's one character down. chipping away at the whole thing until it finally ends

Replies From View

Homer Simpson is a devastating caricature of a fattened human male.  Have him out of it.

If they are going to get rid of Apu the least they could do is have him gunned down in the Kwik-E-Mart.

Ferris

Quote from: dontrunyoullfall on October 27, 2018, 11:35:23 PM
If they are going to get rid of Apu the least they could do is have him gunned down in the Kwik-E-Mart.

What, again?

Yes, but this time they can take his head off. You know, but funny, maybe he asks someone if they like his new hat.

Replies From View

Have him disappear in a Halloween episode where things are normally out of the ordinary, and then not come back after that.

Sebastian Cobb

Straight from 'Apu is not racist' to 'Apu is CANCELLED'; this is a bit like taking your football home in a strop isn't it?

JamesTC

Note: Apu died on the way back to his home planet

Replies From View

How about an episode called "Penis Compendium", where all the characters' penises are swapping around like those hilarious books with the flaps where you change shirts and trousers except it is penises, and it all gets faster and faster until it is nothing but a blur, and in the confusion Apu mysteriously disappears and is never mentioned again.