Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:47:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Big Train is 20

Started by Custard, October 29, 2018, 10:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsNnsniwFEA

"something in the region of......fifteen BILLION pounds...."

Norton Canes

Quote from: Fabian Thomsett on October 29, 2018, 12:32:21 PM
Streets of London https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1YNEtaHbzA

It would be great if they did a stage show.

Wasp-swatting monk! How could I forget wasp-swatting monk?

Norton Canes

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on October 30, 2018, 04:21:12 AM
I like this sketch from the series 1 DVD extras about polar explorers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfu2a_Wup5U

I can't find a list of the DVD extras, but there's some brilliant stuff. There's a load more from the Civil War shoot, isn't there? And the nosebleed sketch of course.

Cuellar

Big fat cocks!

COCKSUCKER

Also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omiCjUDNHL8

The way Eldon calls his butler a 'fucking bastard' makes me crack up.

"Come on" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58zzs4hzEIg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNvM2qEl2HY - Pegg's little giggle and muttered "Brilliant!"

Clownbaby

Bit hit and miss for me and doesn't make my list of all time favourite British comedy series mainly because I find a lot of the sketches go slightly too long for being a "what if this happened/this is a silly thought I just had" idea. A lot of these types of sketches just felt (to me, i know there will be a lot of people who disagree) like something that you would bounce off your mates and giggle at because the mental image is funny. Like the flamboyant costumed villain doing normal people stuff like hoovering the floor. Sort of funny at first but it didn't need to be revisited quite so many times.

That being said there's also a lot of fucking funny odd stuff in there as well that I like, like Prince chasing the Jockeys, the whole Bryan Ferry thing, there's other bits I remember enjoying but it's been a while since I've watched it. Maybe it's time for a rewatch and some of the weaker sketches might grow on me. I kind of think of it as a milder Britisher Mr. Show or Jam if it climbed back out of the abyss

Clownbaby

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 29, 2018, 07:41:50 PM

Edit: And I think I prefer Limmy's Show to Big Train, but again it's a close run thing.

Same.

Cuellar

It's interesting to compare it with Limmy's Show actually. Like that 'Sticko' sketch I just posted - it seems like the central funny idea is (to me at least) the man repeating 'come on' in a sinister way to the bemused and slightly scared Eldon. I get the feeling that someone like Limmy would be content to leave it there and let that just be the sketch, but in the old days there was the expectation of some sort of conventional punchline. It's like Wagner's emancipation of the resolution.

The same with the Radio Puns sketch. Would it be funnier if the idea of kids being kept in captivity to write lame puns wasn't framed as a charity appeal? It would certainly be bleaker if it wasn't really explained. I feel like these days there's less of a need to have things neatly capped off, but maybe that's still the expectation and things like Limmy's Show are the exception.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Sweary Florence Nightingale. Gets a round of applause from an appreciative audience.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Cuellar on October 30, 2018, 10:17:17 AM
It's interesting to compare it with Limmy's Show actually. Like that 'Sticko' sketch I just posted - it seems like the central funny idea is (to me at least) the man repeating 'come on' in a sinister way to the bemused and slightly scared Eldon. I get the feeling that someone like Limmy would be content to leave it there and let that just be the sketch, but in the old days there was the expectation of some sort of conventional punchline. It's like Wagner's emancipation of the resolution.

The same with the Radio Puns sketch. Would it be funnier if the idea of kids being kept in captivity to write lame puns wasn't framed as a charity appeal? It would certainly be bleaker if it wasn't really explained. I feel like these days there's less of a need to have things neatly capped off, but maybe that's still the expectation and things like Limmy's Show are the exception.

Yeah, I find the things that really tickle me are sort of unexplained, vague things. I cracked up at the bad puns sketch but I remember being a bit disappointed when it kept going and explained itself further.

Bhazor

Limmy Show is definitely better overall with much more thoughtful personal stuff in it but Big Train series 1 to me is more just pure Vic and Bob style funny.

Clownbaby

I'm going to piss off a lot of people now

not a massive Vic and Bob fan. I don't think they're shit or anything, they're obviously great at what they do and they do sometimes make me laugh but they also really don't BUT I do think Vic's Bryan Ferry is slightly better than Kevin Eldon's

Bhazor

Clownbaby

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Clownbaby on October 30, 2018, 11:02:29 AM
I'm going to piss off a lot of people now

not a massive Vic and Bob fan. I don't think they're shit or anything, they're obviously great at what they do and they do sometimes make me laugh but they also really don't BUT I do think Vic's Bryan Ferry is slightly better than Kevin Eldon's

You're dead to me.

Benjaminos

Hello Sarge? Peters here. Yeah. Can you be on the lookout for a man who looks.. like a load of old bollocks

Big Train is up there with the greats, no doubt. One of the best DVD commentaries, too - there's an amusing story about someone who writes to Glinner saying that he's written a sketch that'd fit the show perfectly. "It goes on for ages, and there aren't any jokes in it."

Eldon's finest hour, maybe? His evil characters are superb - office Satan, the 'Ooh. Very tart." Dr. Jekyll character, his evil hypnotist, etc.

famethrowa

Quote from: Benjaminos on October 30, 2018, 11:14:42 AM
Hello Sarge? Peters here. Yeah. Can you be on the lookout for a man who looks.. like a load of old bollocks
Glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNGujOsBw2E

I still say "it's freaking me out" at any possible opportunity. Also the skeleton saying "okay" is so good...

Cuellar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-truHrzpv-E - "You stupid idiots"

This, along with the classic - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcAqR-Hs9II - with Arthur Matthews screaming "YOU CLOWN. I HATE YOU. YOU BOLLOCKS" are things I turn to frequently in my mind.

Shaky

"Mother" from the second series had me in absolute hysterics at the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxEhKjUwqAQ

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Clownbaby on October 30, 2018, 10:33:00 AM
Yeah, I find the things that really tickle me are sort of unexplained, vague things. I cracked up at the bad puns sketch but I remember being a bit disappointed when it kept going and explained itself further.

Totally agree with these points. Although I'll counter by saying the "other people's opinions" sketch that ends being an advert for the British Army is an excellent punchline.

Attila

So many to choose from -- Virginia Plain, as mentioned, but also Mark Heap as the gymnast, and Mark Heap as Ming the Merciless at home, and Mark Heap as the archaeologist...pattern developing here, I think.

Kevin Eldon's George Martin is wonderful.

Malcy

Quote from: Attila on October 31, 2018, 08:02:51 PM
So many to choose from -- Virginia Plain, as mentioned, but also Mark Heap as the gymnast, and Mark Heap as Ming the Merciless at home, and Mark Heap as the archaeologist...pattern developing here, I think.

Seconds before reading your post The Apprentice came on. Every time it does I see Mark Heap!

Gulftastic

Quote from: Attila on October 31, 2018, 08:02:51 PM

He revisited in Harry & Paul's Beatles sketches.

petril

Quote from: Gulftastic on October 31, 2018, 09:07:56 PM
He revisited in Harry & Paul's Beatles sketches.

and again in his own Hitler sketches

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on October 29, 2018, 12:57:49 PM
The thing that brings the first series down is the reptative staring comptition segments. Kinda spoils the flow of the series.

I never got them either, but at least you knew you had 90 seconds to go and stick the kettle on.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on October 31, 2018, 11:37:20 PM
I never got them either, but at least you knew you had 90 seconds to go and stick the kettle on.

I love the stare-out competition. It probably helps that I'm a fan of Barry Davies (and co-commentator Phil Cornwell, the only impressionist I know who did a Barry Davies impression as part of his act), but it's totally in the same vein as the other sketches.

the

Stare-out is the funniest meta-pisstake of TV sport since The Day Today

Edit: Also, I love the successful deployment of animation in comedy shows, it's arty and sublime and there should be more of it.

Virgo76

Quote from: Clownbaby on October 30, 2018, 10:00:37 AM
Bit hit and miss for me and doesn't make my list of all time favourite British comedy series mainly because I find a lot of the sketches go slightly too long for being a "what if this happened/this is a silly thought I just had" idea.

I don't think there's ever been a sketch show which hasn't been hit and miss.

I agree about the sketches often going on too long though. The scientist sketch with Eldon's great laugh mentioned above is a good example. Great set up. Good joke. But then drags on for about a minute too long.

The show featured some of Heap, Eldon and Pegg's best work though.

The staring contest would have been better had it not been animated.

Why was it called Big Train?

the

Quote from: Virgo76 on November 01, 2018, 08:59:03 AMThe staring contest would have been better had it not been animated.

Stare-out pre-existed as a comic strip though. From inception it consisted of drawings. The animation retains the style of the comic strip.

Quote from: Virgo76 on November 01, 2018, 08:59:03 AMWhy was it called Big Train?

Don't quote me, but probably has much to do with:

1) It has a sketch about a big train, and/or
2) The song used as the theme was called Big Train

SteveDave

"You always have to get the last word don't you?"
"No!"

I used to love listening to the commentary for the first series as they sound like they're having a great time. "Ahhhh Nazis!" The second series is a little more muted although everyone loves Arthur Mathews "I HATE YOU! YOU BOLLOCKS!"