Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:11:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Playstation Classic game line-up released

Started by Fry, October 29, 2018, 02:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fry

Video here

QuoteBattle Arena Toshinden
Cool Boarders 2
Destruction Derby
Final Fantasy VII
Grand Theft Auto
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash
Metal Gear Solid
Mr Driller
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Rayman
Resident Evil Director's Cut
Revelations: Persona
Ridge Racer Type 4
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
Twisted Metal
Wild Arms

Kind of a shitty selection I reckon. Beyond the boring stuff like FF7, Abe's Oddysse, Rayman, MGS and Resident Evil (as amazing as those games were, there's gotta be about 50 different ways to play them now) there's a couple of games where they picked the worst one in the series like Destruction Derby and Twisted Metal, the sequels to those were much better. Then the straight up weird choices like Rainbow Six, which I think of as mainly a PC game as the console versions were always missing loads of features and felt buggy and awkward (going for any FPS from that era seems weird, everyone knows console FPS games were shit before Halo).

Syphon Filter is a good shout though.

Lemming

No Crash, no Tomb Raider, no Spyro, no Medal of Honor and a bunch of other obvious ones missing too. Sad!

Putting emulation aside, is there any reason to buy the "PlayStation classic" instead of just getting a real PS1 off ebay along with a big pile of games, or even just burning the games to CD yourself?

biggytitbo

No Crash, Tomb Raider, Silent Hill or Wipeout - that's like half the most iconic games on the system. Particularly disappointing to not even see Crash team racing. I guess its a licensing thing - NIntendo will face the same issue with the N64 classic when they can't get any of the rare games on it, thus making it completly unrepresentative of what the system was about.

Utter Shit

That is mad that they went with Destruction Derby rather than the sequel - IIRC the original was only ok, whereas the second one was absolutely fantastic. No Die Hard Trilogy either, I'd have that down as a certainty.

What's the best way of playing Playstation games handheld nowadays? I've seen a few hacked PSPs for as little as £25 on eBay, but do they work properly? They are listed as having 10,000 games, but there's never any mention of what those games are so presumably they're all bollocks snidey ones.

I would suggest a Vita over PSP, but yeah, that's a good option. Don't look as shit in handheld either. Look great.

Barry Admin

I'd like to refute the idea that console shooters were shit before Halo. Timesplitters was great for a start. And the greatest FPS of them all - Quake III Arena - was available on Dreamcast. PC players like me (back then anyway) used to be able to use some mod to get on for a bit of cross-platform action, even.

Haven't checked the dates of these ones, but I also very fondly remember Alien Trilogy and Duke Nukem.

Edit: should really mention Golden Eye I suppose, another Rare game like Timesplitters. Edit: oh right, ex-Rare employees actually made that series. Then you've got Perfect Dark as well.

biggytitbo

The control scheme is such hard work in timesplitters before they sorted it out in future perfect though.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Barry Admin on October 29, 2018, 04:40:55 PM
I'd like to refute the idea that console shooters were shit before Halo. Timesplitters was great for a start. And the greatest FPS of them all - Quake III Arena - was available on Dreamcast. PC players like me (back then anyway) used to be able to use some mod to get on for a bit of cross-platform action, even.

Haven't checked the dates of these ones, but I also very fondly remember Alien Trilogy and Duke Nukem.

Edit: should really mention Golden Eye I suppose, another Rare game like Timesplitters. Edit: oh right, ex-Rare employees actually made that series. Then you've got Perfect Dark as well.

Was Perfect Dark good? My vague memory of it was that it was a general improvement on Goldeneye, but everyone was fuming cos it was too easy to get that gun that could kill through walls? Although to be fair I was and am laughably terrible at all FPS games so my memory might be biased.

SavageHedgehog

The Crash games have presumably been omitted because the very successful and well received N' Sane Trilogy, which has now been released to multiple platforms, wouldn't make them much of an attraction.

biggytitbo

Wasnt it a ps1 shooter that invented the modern twin stick fps control scheme we still use now? It might have been alien trilogy actually.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

You could do twin sticks controls in Goldeneye on the N64. It required the use of two controllers and was ratehr clunky, but it was an option.

Speaking of good console FPSs, aside from Goldeneye, there were also the Medal of Honour games on the PS1.

Phil_A

Quake II on PS1 was also a surprisingly great port, and the clearly very Half-Life influenced Alien Resurrection game was decent from what I remember.

Kelvin

Yeah, I thought that was an odd remark in the OP, as well. Those games might look and play very dated now, but at the time, plenty of FPS games were considered among the best games on consoles. Goldeneye would regularly top lists of best games ever, best games of the generation, best games on the N64, etc, in magazines of the time. Along with Mario 64 and Zelda, I'd argue it was one of the defining three games on the console.

Golden Eye, Mario Kart 64 and WWF No Mercy were all great multiplayer games.

NoSleep

Q3A was also on the PSX, so I'm not sure why it couldn't have been included here. I remember loading times are a bit sluggish on the PSX version, so maybe Unreal Tournament would be the slicker option. Or go for something more substantial like Half Life or Deus Ex.

NoSleep

Quote from: Phil_A on October 29, 2018, 05:50:54 PM
Quake II on PS1 was also a surprisingly great port, and the clearly very Half-Life influenced Alien Resurrection game was decent from what I remember.

Alien Resurrection was a great survival horror FPS. They recommend you turn off the lights to play. There's lots of quiet, but extremely tense sections of the game when you're not sure when next an alien is going to drop out of the ceiling on you, rather than it being a frag fest.

Barry Admin

Quote from: NoSleep on October 29, 2018, 06:46:03 PM
Q3A was also on the PSX, so I'm not sure why it couldn't have been included here. I remember loading times are a bit sluggish on the PSX version, so maybe Unreal Tournament would be the slicker option. Or go for something more substantial like Half Life or Deus Ex.

Because it's PS2 and the Dreamcast version came out in late 1999.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Utter Shit on October 29, 2018, 04:57:20 PM
Was Perfect Dark good? My vague memory of it was that it was a general improvement on Goldeneye, but everyone was fuming cos it was too easy to get that gun that could kill through walls? Although to be fair I was and am laughably terrible at all FPS games so my memory might be biased.

I really can't remember to be honest, and I never got to play too much GoldenEye at the time. I was always more interested in playing Mario on my friends system. I've got it on my Xbox here though as part of the Rare Revival compilation, so should really give it another bash. Those early 3D games can be pretty ugly though.

Glebe

NoSleep

Quote from: Barry Admin on October 29, 2018, 06:55:25 PM
Because it's PS2 and the Dreamcast version came out in late 1999.

Hehe, it's all a blur now. Unreal Tournament, Deus Ex and Half Life were PS2 as well.

Alien Resurrection it is should have been, then.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Glebe on October 29, 2018, 07:06:25 PM
Soul Reaver and Medievil, mate.

I guess the latter, like spiro and crash aren't on there because there are remasters of them.

New Jack

Prefer the Japanese lineup. For Parasite Eve and Gradius!

Arc the Lad (Japan only)
Arc the Lad 2 (Japan only)
Armored Core (Japan only)
Ridge Racer Type 4
Intelligent Qube
Gradius Gaiden (Japan only)
XI [sai] (Japan only)
SaGa Frontier (Japan only)
G Darius (Japan only)
Jumping Flash
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Tekken 3
Battle Arena Toshinden
Resident Evil Director's Cut
Parasite Eve (Japan only)
Final Fantasy VII
Mr. Driller
Revelations: Persona
Metal Gear Solid
Wild Arms

NoSleep

Wow, is Saga Frontier that loved in Japan? And Parasite Eve. I've only played the 2nd games in those series and they were quite good.

There's not any tactical games in either selection, are there? Something like Final Fantasy Tactics, Vandal Hearts 1/2 or Front Mission 3.

Phil_A

Heh, was literally just about to mention Front Mission 3. Would've been nice to've seen one or more of these as well - Alundra, Vagrant Story, Parappa The Rapper, Megaman Legends, Chrono Cross, probably a lot more I can't think of at the moment.

biggytitbo

My 20 would be

Tekken 3
Destruction Derby 2
Final Fantasy VII
Colony wars
Metal Gear Solid
Wipeout 2097
Resident Evil 2
Silent Hill
Ridge Racer Type 4
Syphon Filter
Twisted Metal 2
Crash Bandicoot 2
Pandemonium
Tenchu
Tomb raider
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Reloaded
Crash team racing
Broken sword

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 29, 2018, 08:13:56 PM
My 20 would be

Tekken 3
Destruction Derby 2
Final Fantasy VII
Colony wars
Metal Gear Solid
Wipeout 2097
Resident Evil 2
Silent Hill
Ridge Racer Type 4
Syphon Filter
Twisted Metal 2
Crash Bandicoot 2
Pandemonium
Tenchu
Tomb raider
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Reloaded
Crash team racing
Broken sword

Can you do a list of the 20 worst playstations games to put on the Classic.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on October 29, 2018, 05:04:44 PM
The Crash games have presumably been omitted because the very successful and well received N' Sane Trilogy, which has now been released to multiple platforms, wouldn't make them much of an attraction.

Similarly there was the also well-received Wipeout Omega Collection on the PS4 which might explain Wipeout's conspicuous absence.

Waking Life

But then Resident Evil, Oddworld and FFVII (apparently) all have remakes.

Battle Arena Toshinden is the weirdest one; I think it was launch, but those games were woeful (esp the first). Big in Japan I'm assuming.

Z

The issue is that there's really 3 waves of PS1 owners and the later ones just didn't play those earlier games at all.

Rainbow Six is a bonkers inclusion, what's that all about? It'd be like including the Quake 2 port.