Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:54:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Playstation Classic game line-up released

Started by Fry, October 29, 2018, 02:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Waking Life on October 29, 2018, 08:46:21 PM
But then Resident Evil, Oddworld and FFVII (apparently) all have remakes.
I downloaded FF7 for PS4 last year, cost me about four quid or so. Nice to revisit, actually, not sure the others would hold up as well.

New Jack

Think I'll wait on the ps2 one!

I missed the ps1 for some fucking reason so I'd be going into this without warm fuzzy nostalgia... So it might be pretty harsh

The Culture Bunker

I've certainly plenty of warm memories of the PS1: FF6/7/8, Syphon Filter 1/2, Metal Gear Solid, Pro Evolution Soccer (in which Norway were strangely brilliant) and the first three Resi Evil games.  But the idea of paying proper money to revisit them all doesn't really appeal at all. 

magval

I'm very interested to see which soundtrack Resident Evil DC has - the ace original slap-bass and metal one or the mental American one composed by the fake deaf guy who got busted as a ghost-composer a few years back and wrote a game's worth of fart sound songs.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Driver seems like a notable omission, even if most people probably wouln't get past that bastard tutorial level.

Small Man Big Horse

I really loved Worms on the PS1, I know there's been a million sequels since but I don't like the more cartoon-y look, and the feel of the game has never been improved upon.

Fry

Alright maybe I should have said every console FPS since before Halo has aged terribly and become pretty much unplayable due to how awkward the controls are, but I'm definitely sticking by that. I'll still load up Half Life on the PC when I'm feeling spicy, I couldn't imagine going back to Goldeneye though.

Doom is great Fry, go and stand in a corner and think about what you said.

Fry

Fine but you can't stop me wanking into that corner.

lazarou

Rainbow Six is an especially mental choice as the classic only has the original digital controllers and not the revised Dualshock design with analog sticks. Which is honestly a baffling choice, I'm sure basically anyone who thinks 'PS1' is thinking of Dualshocks so it's not exactly a more 'authentic' design. I guess it saves 'em a few quid, but it also rules out an awful lot of the latter-day PS1 lineup.

Still no excuse for this sorry selection though, it's very weak stuff. I suppose it opens up a whole bunch of 'enhancements' they can add for a future version.

I was talking to a few mates about the Dualshock thing the other day and no, analogue sticks are far from analogous with the PS1. None of us ever owned the analogue controller until the PS2.

This selection isn't in the slightest representative of my PS1 experience so there's no chance I'll be picking it up. I understand that Wipeout would be costly and complicated because of music licensing and Crash has been recently re-released but there's no justification for the poor proof-of-concept lineup here. Curiously, even when they have opted for sequels, they've chosen inferior versions!

The Japanese edition looks better with Parasite Eve and Armored Core and some quality shmups but fat use to any of us.

lazarou

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 30, 2018, 06:01:22 AM
I was talking to a few mates about the Dualshock thing the other day and no, analogue sticks are far from analogous with the PS1. None of us ever owned the analogue controller until the PS2.

Ah, fair enough on that one then. I remember them being ubiquitous among my friends but that's obviously a fairly small sample size, and this was mostly towards the arse-end of the system's life. I'm not sure I ever even used an original controller.

Well, likewise, it's just small sample size at my end, too. I wonder whether we're a couple of years apart in age. My PS1 years were 1995 to 1998, really. I stopped playing when I went to uni and I also pretty much skipped the PS2/XB gen, not getting back in til the 360 and then Wii. I don't think the original Dualshock even made it over here til 98 so I bet my brothers would have more memory of it than me. I have no memory of the PS one revision besides seeing it in some lad's room at uni and thinking it looked hideous.

buzby

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 30, 2018, 06:30:41 AM
I don't think the original Dualshock even made it over here til 98 so I bet my brothers would have more memory of it than me.
Dual Analogue was September 1997 in Europe. DualShock was May 1998. The first run of the Dual Analogue pads for the Japanese market in April 1997 had the same rumble feature (I have one) but it was removed from subsequent manufacturing runs until the DualShock was released there in September 1997.

Cheers, bubs. Good knowledge, as ever. I'm surprised that I was never aware of it at the time but we were poor so we only ever had a handful of original games in the years we had it and no way we were getting a new pad if ours wasn't falling apart.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Utter Shit on October 29, 2018, 04:00:14 PM
What's the best way of playing Playstation games handheld nowadays? I've seen a few hacked PSPs for as little as £25 on eBay, but do they work properly? They are listed as having 10,000 games, but there's never any mention of what those games are so presumably they're all bollocks snidey ones.

Just a bit of a follow-on from this, would anyone be able to recommend one? I'm torn between two nostalgia eras, SNES and PS1...is there anything that emulates both? Alternatively a cheap one that does SNES or PS1 would be great!

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 29, 2018, 04:33:52 PM
I would suggest a Vita over PSP, but yeah, that's a good option. Don't look as shit in handheld either. Look great.

Vita will emulate both SNES and PS1. Go for the first version with the OLED screen over the revised Slim with a shitter screen.

Utter Shit

Cheers - is there a specific hacked one I need to get or do they all do the same thing? I would say I know nothing about this, but in fact I'm probably worse than that in that I suspect I have a lot of assumptions which are wrong.

As a potential cheaper option, what about this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-3-Portable-8GB-Handheld-PSP-Game-Console-Player-Built-in-2000-Games-Charger/263575365689?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D8d43ad925a944906b9e955a586284f1a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D10%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D142994723729%26itm%3D263575365689&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

It's only £25 and claims to have 2000 games built into it (with photos of Mario which I guess implies it does SNES?), although the fact it doesn't name any of them presumably means they're all rubbish and not the ones you'd actually want?

Jerzy Bondov

I put Symphony of the Night and Alundra on my phone, got a case with a kickstand and a bluetooth 8bitdo controller, and played them until I developed a really bad pain in my neck. Highly recommended way to revisit your PlayStation favourites.

Seriously folks, phone propped up on the edge of the bath, sat on the shitter exploring Dracula's castle. Nothing better.

Quote from: Utter Shit on October 31, 2018, 09:38:28 AM
Cheers - is there a specific hacked one I need to get or do they all do the same thing? I would say I know nothing about this, but in fact I'm probably worse than that in that I suspect I have a lot of assumptions which are wrong.

As a potential cheaper option, what about this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-3-Portable-8GB-Handheld-PSP-Game-Console-Player-Built-in-2000-Games-Charger/263575365689?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D8d43ad925a944906b9e955a586284f1a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D10%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D142994723729%26itm%3D263575365689&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

It's only £25 and claims to have 2000 games built into it (with photos of Mario which I guess implies it does SNES?), although the fact it doesn't name any of them presumably means they're all rubbish and not the ones you'd actually want?

I would guess that would would do the job too, the PSP was pretty well known for emulation. That said, the Vita is a much better machine with better screen and controls in my fairly brief experience.

As for buying a hacked one, no, you'd just have to follow a guide on how to do it yourself, can't be too difficult if you just go step by step. That PSP looks to sort it all out for you but it does seem a bit dodgy. If you hack it yourself, you obviously need to download all the ROMs as well and put them on it. For twenty five quid, I'd probably give it a whirl and save loads of hassle. I expect you'll get bored of the SNES games within a week if you're anything like me.

Utter Shit

Haha yeah most likely - I'll look more into it and give it a go...I'm hesitant to spend more on a Vita because in all likelihood I'll lose interest and forget about the whole thing in a few weeks! Cheers.

madhair60

PSP is pish easy to play roms, you don't even need custom firmware. For TV stuff best option is still Wii, pish easy.

Utter Shit

So you think that one I linked to would be ok? I'm excited!

Space ghost

Looks like a Chinese knock off to my eyes.

madhair60

Nah. I just checked it and it looks hooky as fuck; I'd just get a second hand PSP and stick emulators on it myself for sheer ease, curation etc I'd just buy one and put the roms on myself. This is insanely easy to do, all you need are "signed" emulators, which I can acquire and PM you along with instructions and that. You'd need to get your own roms though. Or not, again. I can sort it all out if you want.

Utter Shit

Cheers for this - I'd appreciate that PM if you're happy to send it, I know fuck all about this sort of thing and the sheer range of options just sends me dizzy.

Basically what I'm looking for is something to play either PS1, SNES or ideally both, handheld. I'm sure I'd work out how to get the ROMs on there, but I wouldn't know what machine to buy in the first place and I'm wary of buying one that you can't put ROMs on or whatever. If you (or anyone else) are able to show a link to eBay selling the thing I need I'll bloody well do it straight away. I want to play FF7 on the way to work is that too much to ask?

Oh side note: with regard to the ROMs, are most games easily available? There are a ton I'd love to have another go around on.

madhair60

SNES makes it a bit trickier as the PSP can't do SNES worth a fuck. Annoyingly your best option for that is New 3DS, but that can't do PS1.

Edit: as far as availability goes, sort of, but a lot of the major sites have gone to fuck recently. I know someone who has them though (me)

Utter Shit

Haha nice one - I'll stick with the PSP for now then! There's a list of well-priced PSPs that seem to be modded here, do any of them seem like they're ok?

Also please bear in mind this dynamic of me asking questions, you answering them and then me branching off with additional questions is one that could continue indefinitely.

madhair60