Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:29:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Playstation Classic game line-up released

Started by Fry, October 29, 2018, 02:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z

Quote from: buzby on November 28, 2018, 01:45:45 PM
Regarding the Playstation Classic, the use of the PCSX emulator would point towards the development of it being outsourced to a third party. In that case Sony might have preferred to let the developer licence PCSX rather than supply them with the source for their in-house emulator.

That'd be my assumption too, the PSP emulated PS1 games pretty damn well and that was in 2006.

Sebastian Cobb

Sony should've done what Sega did, and built backwards-compatability into their consoles by design, but then make it physically impossible to work without an adaptor peripheral that cost almost as much as the previous console, and only fitted half of the original console revisions. Genius really.

Love how anyone who had a master system II or Megadrive II got locked out of cards/3d goggles both times.

MojoJojo

Quote from: buzby on November 28, 2018, 03:19:00 PM
They didn't need to emulate the PS1 CPU as the PS2 included it specifically for that purpose (the R3000 core would be twiddling it's thumbs handling I/O in PS2 mode - it's clock speed actually gets reduced to what it was on the PS1 when the system switches to PS1 mode).

I suspect writing the emulator for the PS1 GPU to run on the PS2's EE/GS took more than a long weekend though:)

Sorry, I meant they didn't need VGS to do the PS2 slim emulation, which if I've understood correctly only differed from the fat in that they emulated the CPU as well. As you pointed out they bought VGS after the fat PS2 was released so couldn't have used it for PS1 GPU emulation.

magval

If, as suggested, the port of Resident Evil DC on this is indeed the NTSC version, then it will be completely spoiled by the awful soundtrack composed by the fake deaf Japanese gentleman that was in the news a few years ago.

And I do mean completely spoiled.

Sebastian Cobb

I'd love to play resi with the original crap voice acting.

Glebe

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 29, 2018, 07:18:55 PM
I'd love to play resi with the original crap voice acting.

"Barry... where's Barry?"

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Glebe on November 29, 2018, 07:31:35 PM
"Barry... where's Barry?"

"That was too close; you were almost a Jill sandwich!"

magval

BLOOD! JILL! See if you can find any clues...

I do love that game to its very molecules, hence my banging on about its (excellent) original soundtrack.

Twed

Barry is one of the all-time best oafs. Best ending: the one where his downfall is a ladder.

When I was 10/11 and getting a Playstation for Christmas, my parents unwrapped it early and spent the nights leading up to the 25th playing through Resi together. They got right to the end with the Tyrant on the roof, and just didn't quite figure out how to beat him. Helicopter was flapping around above and everything.

He Recieved a Pop Station that Christmas Dear Reader.

NoSleep

The voice acting in RE1 sounds to me like the cast might be in on the joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVyOCssIXgQ

biggytitbo

No matter how many times I listen to it I cant hear it as  anything other than "Gerbil Sandwich".

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 29, 2018, 11:22:39 PM
"That was too close; you were almost a Jill sandwich!"
I did enjoy the little call back to that in Revelations 2, the one with Barry's daughter and Claire Redfield teaming up.

"I was almost a Claire sandwich!"
"Urgh! Does he tell everyone that story?"

NoSleep