Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:23:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Television programmes 'gatecrashing' other programmes

Started by holyzombiejesus, October 29, 2018, 02:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

I asked in the 'Inside No. 9' thread whether there were any examples of programmes 'bleeding into' other ones and there were some interesting examples so thought my fascinating and eloquent question warranted a thread of it's own. Thanks!

Norton Canes

I haven't watched the No.9 episode yet - how do you mean (without spoilers!)

I'm guessing not just a comedy show doing a pastiche of another programme, for instance? Or do you mean actual transmission mistakes?

Graham Norton infamously intruded on the Doctor Who episode 'Rose'.

Blumf

It was mentioned in the No 9 thread, but the Alexei Sayle's Stuff Juliet Bravo spoof was great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GambJxwAQP4

Dannyhood91

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 29, 2018, 02:16:20 PM
I asked in the 'Inside No. 9' thread whether there were any examples of programmes 'bleeding into' other ones and there were some interesting examples so thought my fascinating and eloquent question warranted a thread of it's own. Thanks!

Wait is the new one out already???

biggytitbo

I seem to remember this happening quite often in the golden era of BBC Television centre were lots of shows were filmed in the same building, and they'd go on a walkabout to the Newsnight set or something. Sure Lenny Henry and Kenny Everett did that a few times, and Noel Edmonds must have.

Norton Canes

Because of industrial action, they once had to shoot an episode of Blue Peter on the set of the Doctor Who story 'Robot'.

Come to think of it, a few years later Tom Baker was very keen on the idea of the Doctor bumping into some of Blake's 7 in a corridor and carrying on like nothing had happened. 

Norton Canes

I suppose there's 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown, and all those variations.

Blumf

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 29, 2018, 03:48:36 PM
Come to think of it, a few years later Tom Baker was very keen on the idea of the Doctor bumping into some of Blake's 7 in a corridor and carrying on like nothing had happened. 

Ooo, that reminds me. Chelmsford 123 had a bit where the TARDIS appears in the background,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlQyF269spE

studpuppet

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blumf on October 29, 2018, 02:47:08 PM
It was mentioned in the No 9 thread, but the Alexei Sayle's Stuff Juliet Bravo spoof was great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GambJxwAQP4

The comments allude to that set being Victor Meldrew's house. Given that his two neighbours appear in the sketch, that would be well-meta.

In one of the later, crap episodes of Only Fools and Horses, the plan had been for Del to go on Who Wants to be a Millionaire, but they couldn't sort out the legalities on time so they just invented a quiz show instead. Probably should have sacked the entire idea.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 29, 2018, 03:48:36 PM
Because of industrial action, they once had to shoot an episode of Blue Peter on the set of the Doctor Who story 'Robot'.

Blakes 7 were supposed to encounter Daleks, the end of season 2 I think.

mothman

I've read this whole thread and I still don't understand what the OP was asking.

Red Dwarf visiting Cornation Street in Back to Earth, and the Children In Need Doctor Who 3d special crossed over with East Enders.
Lastly in the Saturday/Friday Night Armistice digging up the time capsule in the Blue Peter Garden and swapping it with a Pish Pod.

Dr Rock

Quote from: mothman on October 29, 2018, 05:24:10 PM
I've read this whole thread and I still don't understand what the OP was asking.

Me either, but like biggy, Kenny Everett came to mind anyway. Can't think of an example though.

Oh does this count?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lJ7c3bqV-o

purlieu

Quote from: mothman on October 29, 2018, 05:24:10 PM

Spoilers for those who haven't seen Inside No. 9 yet:
The episode is a meta 'things go wrong in the studio' story, complete with the current BBC Two breakdown slide and continuity announcer. In the thread people were wondering if they'd go so far as to carrying it onto the trailers or even the next show.

mothman

Oh, is this the new filmed-live Halloween special or whatever it is they're doing?

Small Man Big Horse

Not a tv programme but Scott Aukerman's issue of Spider-Man/Deadpool has them gatecrashing through Daredevil, The Walking Dead, Jurassic World and Comedy Bang! Bang! to amusing effect.

QDRPHNC

Not exactly what you're after I suppose, but it was a surreal moment seeing Jerry Seinfeld's apartment with Hank Kingsley asleep on the couch.

KennyMonster

There was an late 80s/early 90s comic relief night where I think it was Mel and Gryff hosting and one of them gatecrashed something like The Late Show going out on on BBC2 at the time and they encouraged the viewers to change channels every time they said 'switch'

I had video'd comic relief so I didn't see the effect of the 'switch'ing.

Pseudopath

Not exactly a television programme, but your question did remind me of this old Carling Black Label advert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toek6CdldC8

Another tenuous example would be the Alan and Jimmy Carr Hijack The Ads things that Channel 4 used to do for their Comedy Gala nights. Hilarious. Fuck me.

DrGreggles

Another Mel and Griff one (which sort of counts, I think) was when they used their BBC show to take the piss out of their awful ITV* series.

*'The World of Smith & Jones'?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Pseudopath on October 29, 2018, 08:41:31 PM
Not exactly a television programme, but your question did remind me of this old Carling Black Label advert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toek6CdldC8

I think that's a rip-off of the (even) old(er) Duracell ad where the drumming bunny kept going into other ads to show its longevity - which probably makes more sense that the Carling one.

Replies From View

I think there was a Roland Rat story where they gatecrashed Panorama, or at least used their studio for their own broadcast.

That may have only been an audio thing, though, rather than a TV one.

Pseudopath

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 29, 2018, 08:49:04 PM
I think that's a rip-off of the (even) old(er) Duracell ad where the drumming bunny kept going into other ads to show its longevity - which probably makes more sense that the Carling one.

Nah...the Carling Black Label Cowboys advert aired in 1983. The Energizer Bunny adverts you're referring to (for it is he who bangs the drum) started in 1989. The Energizer Bunny (essentially a pisstake of the Duracell bunny) was only created in 1988, so I don't think there are any earlier examples.

Here's a far more recent and expensive riff on the same idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIW3l-ENHdA

The Culture Bunker

Didn't Abed from Community appear in the background of a scene in Cougar Town?

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on October 29, 2018, 05:27:52 PM
Red Dwarf visiting Cornation Street in Back to Earth, and the Children In Need Doctor Who 3d special crossed over with East Enders.
Lastly in the Saturday/Friday Night Armistice digging up the time capsule in the Blue Peter Garden and swapping it with a Pish Pod.

The Friday/Saturday Night Armistice also used to crash other programmes with their 'Hunt the Old Woman' segment.  (for those of you, unlike me, not old enough to have watched this, an 'old woman' wearing tartan used to appear in another programme during the week before broadcast).  IIRC she appeared in the crowd on Antiques Roadshow and on the set of Pobol y Cwm.  I also have a very fuzzy memory of her being in the crowd on Top of the Pops (or similar).

Quote from: KennyMonster on October 29, 2018, 08:31:57 PM
There was an late 80s/early 90s comic relief night where I think it was Mel and Gryff hosting and one of them gatecrashed something like The Late Show going out on on BBC2 at the time and they encouraged the viewers to change channels every time they said 'switch'

I had video'd comic relief so I didn't see the effect of the 'switch'ing.

I think it was Lenny Henry gatecrashing Clive James' BBC2 show, 1989. Other hosts were Griff Rhys Jones and Jonathan Ross.

mothman

Quote from: Pseudopath on October 29, 2018, 08:41:31 PM

If I had to pick a favourite advert of all time, it'd be that. It may look old (and dusty) hat now, but at the time it was a revelation to teenage me.

Pseudopath

Quote from: mothman on October 29, 2018, 09:24:40 PM
If I had to pick a favourite advert of all time, it'd be that. It may look old (and dusty) hat now, but at the time it was a revelation to teenage me.

It sure is a classic. Although even as a kid it did annoy me that the woman from the second advert isn't on any of the horses in the last segment (yet the bloke in the white suit is shown waiting at the checkout).