Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:01:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Television programmes 'gatecrashing' other programmes

Started by holyzombiejesus, October 29, 2018, 02:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Years before you could prove such things with the internet I would often ask people 'do you remember when Batman and Robin were sometimes in Scooby Doo?' and they would think I was potty. 

Ghughesarch

Mentioned it on the other thread, but I now know it was the 1 April 1987 edition of 'Wogan', with guest Magnus Magnusson, that after a conventional first five minutes turned into a 'clip' consisting of a whole spoof episode of 'Mastermind'.
Can't help thinking it was originally meant to go out in a normal run of the quiz, but that it got made before anyone realised it wasn't going to be scheduled for the right date.

Norton Canes

Edit: Just posted exactly the same as Brundle-Fly

Hang on, no I didn't. I was on about those 'channel changing' skits on old comedy shows where short clips would be humorously edited together.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 29, 2018, 10:35:03 PM

Years before you could prove such things with the internet I would often ask people 'do you remember when Batman and Robin were sometimes in Scooby Doo?' and they would think I was potty.

Even odder was when Laurel and Hardy joined the cast in 1974. The gang are finally in the presence of genuine ghosts but don't bat an eyelid. The irony.

Stan looks like he's just let off a silent eggy fart in the Mystery Machine and Ollie is the first to smell it.

Alberon

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 29, 2018, 04:00:15 PM
Blakes 7 were supposed to encounter Daleks, the end of season 2 I think.

It certainly was put forward as an idea. I'm surprised it didn't happen considering Terry Nation was behind both the Daleks and Blakes 7.

When Red Dwarf got stolen and the crew were stuck in Starbug looking for it for a couple of series I think one of the ideas was that it was Daleks that had made off with it. Though they weren't going to be actual Daleks (no aliens in Red Dwarf remember). Instead they would be Gelfs bred by hyper-obsessive Doctor Who fans.

Shame that didn't happen as it's a better setup than the actual resolution.

Brundle-Fly

Norton Canes

Quote from: Alberon on October 30, 2018, 10:25:32 AM
It certainly was put forward as an idea. I'm surprised it didn't happen considering Terry Nation was behind both the Daleks and Blakes 7

It would have been awesome. Unfortunately I guess they would have used the dilapidated casings from Destiny Of The Daleks.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 30, 2018, 10:40:07 AM
Unfortunately I guess they would have used the dilapidated casings from Destiny Of The Daleks.

That has to be the most niche sentence on a messageboard I've read in years. Well done.

Alberon

The Goodies had a lot of other BBC programmes turning up in their show. They were elevated above simple parodies as they often had the presenters of these shows doing it. Raymond Baxter extolling the virtues of string on Tomorrow's World in an episode being a classic example.

Another, and one of my earliest telly memories, is the trio being chased by a giant Dougal from the Magic Roundabout in an episode where puppets have taken over.

Mork made his TV debut in Happy Days, but that was more about plugging a spin-off.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on November 01, 2018, 02:05:02 AM
Mork made his TV debut in Happy Days, but that was more about plugging a spin-off.

Not exactly - there was no plan for Mork and Mindy until Williams was so good in the Happy Days episode.

Bad Ambassador

There was also going to a be an episode of Quantum Leap where Sam leapt into Magnum, and said "Oh boy!" and then did the eyebrow waggle.

biggytitbo

The more I think about Quantum leap, the more I think what utter nonsense it was.

mothman

QL was just a technology-driven updating of that longtime US TV trope, the lone hero travelling around solving other people's problems. Combined with more of a pinch of a subset of that genre, the divinely inspired/magical figure travelling around solving other people's problems. Most of the plots, boiled down to their basics and shorn of historical trappings and SF gimmickry, are the standard plots of the genre. Where QL's saving grace lies is in having two engaging leads and not taking itself too seriously.

garnish

Lisa Kudrow played a set of twins that crossed over 'Mad About You' and 'Friends'.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Docs from Boston- based hospital St. Elsewhere get themselves off to Boston- based bar Cheers for a pint, circa 1986. Seemed really weird seeing Carla deliver her miserable cunt lines to the hapless venerable medical types without a laugh track.Quite an unsettling atmosphere, in fact.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 01, 2018, 09:05:56 AM
The more I think about Quantum leap, the more I think what utter nonsense it was.

You could well be right as I haven't seen an episode since I was a kid and have no idea how well it's aged, but if it didn't exist than neither would this majestic song, so I'm glad it does - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE5yvuKoFmE

Gulftastic

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 01, 2018, 09:05:56 AM

Big budget Mr Ben.

Glebe

Simply amazed no sod's mentioned this.

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 29, 2018, 03:34:02 PMLenny Henry and Kenny Everett

Kenny did a Hi-De-Hi! sketch with Su Pollard, with him doing Peggy too. Cannae find it on YouTube, but here's Len (with Tracy Ullman and not-that-David Copperfield) spoofing HDH! on Three of a Kind.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 30, 2018, 10:33:41 AMDo crossovers count?
Murder She Wrote/Magnum P.I.

Nice to see him...

Absorb the anus burn

Morecambe and Wise appeared as themselves in The Sweeney.

Alexi Sayle's Stuff beautifully camouflaged itself as an episode of Juliet Bravo.

Glebe

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on November 04, 2018, 12:18:29 AMMorecambe and Wise appeared as themselves in The Sweeney.

Alexi Sayle's Stuff beautifully camouflaged itself as an episode of Juliet Bravo.

Hate to be that guy, but:

Quote from: Blumf on October 29, 2018, 02:47:08 PMIt was mentioned in the No 9 thread, but the Alexei Sayle's Stuff Juliet Bravo spoof was great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GambJxwAQP4

Good call on M&S, btw. Think they did it in exchange for Thaw and Waterman appearing on their show.

Speaking of Alexei Sayle's Stuff, does this kinda count, in a mad way?:

Gag spoiled by video title, unfortunately.

Also, how about Baldrick on Noel's House Party... no?!

magval

Quote from: garnish on November 01, 2018, 07:55:15 PM
Lisa Kudrow played a set of twins that crossed over 'Mad About You' and 'Friends'.

Chandler in Caroline in the City, too

Alberon

Didn't George Clooney and Noah Wylie(?) from E.R. pop up on Friends as doctors?