Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:35:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

MINCED PIES OF 2018

Started by Replies From View, October 29, 2018, 06:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Well, I doubt the supermarkets have got it wrong, which means it is definitely MINCED PIE SEASON and time for all your tasty minced pie reviews.

Roll 'em in, folks!  If there's one thing I love more than eating minced pies with my own mouth, it is reading what other people have eaten about them with my own eyes.

MINCED PIES OF 2018 PLEASE!

popcorn

There aren't no minced pies nowhere in Japan. :(

Cuellar

shiftwork2

Totally up for this, last year's thread was a rollercoaster of dissent and discussion about pine-fragranced icing sugar.

On a related note, the Ginsters 2018 Christmas portfolio is out.  *taps earpiece* Yes, I can confirm the Christmas Ginsters sandwiches are available in all impulse outlets.  May I take this opportunity to wish you a Merry Christmas and a petrol station distress purchase New Year.

PlanktonSideburns

Booths cheap ones, 2x4 for 2 pound

Okay! Too thin, pastry a little powdery, if you eat 7 on a tram you feel a little queasy, but not too much. Aldi ones better - don't judge me for going booths it's one the way back from work

I'd rate the Brandy Mince Pie Puffs from the fresh bakeries at Co-ops, I like the Apple ones they have normally, but the Brandy Mince Pie onces are a seasonal treat. Working there I can get them fresh out of the oven whilst they are still warm.

PlanktonSideburns

Anyone tried the morris ons ones?

mothman

Few years back, me and four other coworkers had a concerted attempt to try and rate as many store bought pies as we could find. We rated on packaging/decoration, pastry, filling and, for the sixth and final pie, that all-important bonus round: Can Mothman Eat It In One?

I can't remember the results - got them at work -  but I think Morrison's and Waitrose were top.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: mothman on October 29, 2018, 06:46:59 PM
Few years back, me and four other coworkers had a concerted attempt to try and rate as many store bought pies as we could find. We rated on packaging/decoration, pastry, filling and, for the sixth and final pie, that all-important bonus round: Can Mothman Eat It In One?

I can't remember the results - got them at work -  but I think Morrison's and Waitrose were top.

Would love to see a screengrab/scan of this

mothman

I'll see what I can do. Emailing it to home not possible. Can print & scan to image certainly. It was a fun way to get into the Christmas mood.

im barry bethel

IT'S ONLY FUCKING OCTOBER YET THE MINCE PIE CUNTS ARE OUT ALREADY

seepage

I really miss the Birds Eye frozen chicken and pea ones

Glebe

Don't mince y'pies - or y'words, for that matter!

seepage

Apparently we chucked 74 million Mary Berry lamb & apricot ones in the bin last year - what is Britain coming too?

Bum Flaps

Ferris

Will have to go scouting for these horrible confections in Toronto and provide feedback accordingly. I bet the Canadian ones are fucking shite.

Emma Raducanu

Not as good as an Eccles cake

seepage

since the Portugals do excellent custard tarts, won't their mince pies be the best?

Replies From View

Hello all minced pies fans, I have just eaten three minced pies for breakfast.  You?

Sainsbury's standard one pound for six. Best combo of sweetness, spice, fruit depth of flavour, slightly thin jam, good shortcrust pastry, quite light, not too buttery or boozy.

DrGreggles

Morrisons ones are nice.
I'll be grabbing all the remaining stock tomorrow morning.

thenoise

Sainsbury's deep filled = an acceptable minced pie. I had one cold and I had one hot with #froyo on top. Also had one accompanied by mulled wine while I was putting up the Kris Kringle tree and decorations.

All were perfectly adequate minced pie experiences. Recommended.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Sainsburys sell a mince pie ice cream. It's very nice.

Ferris

Has anyone tried making them, or is that just a deluded fantasy?

pancreas

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 15, 2018, 03:58:59 PM
Has anyone tried making them, or is that just a deluded fantasy?

It's actually very easy: you get some pies and you get a mincer and you just let nature run its course.

Ferris

Quote from: pancreas on December 15, 2018, 04:04:27 PM
It's actually very easy: you get some pies and you get a mincer and you just let nature run its course.

Macabre.

I withdraw my suggestion.

MuteBanana

I still dream about those puff pastry crunchy sugar coated bad boys Tesco do.

Replies From View

Quote from: MuteBanana on December 15, 2018, 04:09:14 PM
I still dream about those puff pastry crunchy sugar coated bad boys Tesco do.

What happens in the dream?

Mr_Simnock

QuoteHas anyone tried making them, or is that just a deluded fantasy?

wifey has made some today and they are ace. got almonds and frangipane in them, taste nice and light.

Mr_Simnock

must say that co-op's gluten free minces are very good, eaten plenty this year, go well with wine too