Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:28:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Fast Show 25th Anniversary Special

Started by Malcy, October 29, 2018, 06:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Glebe

'Nice!' But will it be 'brilliant' or 'rubbish'?

Sorry.

Custard

Did anyone bother with the Fosters shows from a few years back? I downloaded them, yet completely forgot about them until now! Any good?

The original series is long overdue a rewatch, so this might give me the kick up the bumcheeks to get it done

Malcy

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 29, 2018, 09:00:47 PM
Did anyone bother with the Fosters shows from a few years back? I downloaded them, yet completely forgot about them until now! Any good?

The original series is long overdue a rewatch, so this might give me the kick up the bumcheeks to get it done

They were Ok. I haven't seen them for a while so might watch them again.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 29, 2018, 09:00:47 PM

Not really but would say they are worth a watch - mainly to compare to the terrestrial series. Also, they're quick to get through.

The lack of Mark Williams was very noticeable and felt his absence underlined just how good he was in the series and the importance of his contribution. I was really pleased to have Aherne back for the Foster's shows but for me, her absence with the Last Show episodes was less of an issue than the absence of Williams here. However, IIRC, Aherne was much less visible in series 3, which would likely contributed to this opinion – I should mention that althouh I was intrigued that the team might be getting back together again, I'm less interested because of Aherne's passing.

As mentioned, the episodes are quick to get through – each is several minutes long, My impression is this reduced length didn't really suit the format. Arguably, The Fast Show format wasn't consistent (e.g. by the end, audience expectations were being subverted) but my feeling that the abridged length didn't work.

There's a certain amount of irony here, given how the show's concept was formulated. However, going from memory, the Foster's sketches tended to be the kind of length as the more fleshed out ones on the BBC shows. My gut feeling is that they should have gone back to the core concept and strip sketches down to seconds, instead of minutes.

In terms of the material itself, my overriding memory of a highlight was a Downton Abbey sketch in, I think, the first episode. Partly because of the Fast Show character was a favourite of mine and worked brilliantly in it, and partly because it made a very relevant comment about costume dramas. There was at least one other period skit, but didn't work nearly as well.

Otherwise, my memory was that material was okay at best. At the times, like other Foster's series, production looked rather economical to put it charitable – that did vary and some sketches looked okay – but think that affected my reaction.

I would also bring in the sketches in You Ain't Seen These, Right? as the typical standard was good. For me, some could have easily made the cut for the BBC shows, but I didn't get that sense with the Foster's series.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Yeah, it was remarkable just how much Mark Williams absence was felt. Thinking about it, he was probably the member of the group whose characters best represented the core concept the show was built around.

Some of the Fosters stuff was ok, but it didn't feel right as a whole.

Frank Stallone

I loved it at the time, but rewatching some of the early stuff a few years ago I felt like it had aged quite badly. Couldn't put my finger on why, and didn't hate it but felt the enjoyment I got was from the nostalgia mostly. If they can work some magic and bring some freshness to the old characters, that'd be pretty great.

BeardFaceMan

The Fast Show was the logical conclusion of catchphrase comedy, there was nowhere else for it to go after that. It was amazing in places but started repeating itself very quickly as its basically a show with one idea - on, catchphrase, off (yeah there were other one off sketches and character pieces but that was the bulk of the show). Hasnt aged well at all and those Fosters shows were pretty dire because they have nothing new to say, its repeating the same sketch formats with the same characters and the same catchphrases. The one and only reason for this to exist is nostalgia, I cant see any good comedy coming out of it, unlike say the recent League of Gentlemen series. This is literally going to be watching characters you remember from 20 years ago but looking older and doing the exact same jokes.

Captain Crunch

I wouldn't say that.  There was Grass and Swiss Toni, the latter I think is a massively underrated show and I'd be much more excited by a Swiss Toni film than a Fast Show return.  There's also Simon Day's character stuff which can be brilliant but why there hasn't been a cute little three part history of Weymouth with Gideon Soames is a mystery. 

BeardFaceMan

Exactly, Swiss Tony and Grass were great, but they were not catchphrase comedy shows (Swiss Tony barely used his catchphrase, maybe once an episode, if that?). As you say, there are lots more interesting things to do with those characters than just revive them to spout the same old catchphrases. And as I said, there are character pieces and one-offs in The Fast Show but the clue is in the name of the fucking show, the whole premise of it and the bulk of the material was short sketch catchphrase comedy.

Malcy

Quote from: gib on November 01, 2018, 01:22:48 PM
Where can i watch 'Grass'?

I can't remember where I watched it last time. The DVD is expensive. I thought Couchtripper had it up but can't search too well on my phone.

Malcy

Not happening now.

Quote"Paul [Whitehouse] and Charlie [Higson] were approached by the Beeb with a view to doing two new specials for Christmas," Thompson told The I newspaper.

"They went to the Beeb with a budget for everything that wasn't extortionate for two half hours – and the powers that be said 'no'.

"I was very shocked about that because the demand for a 25th anniversary would be huge. I told Paul and Charlie to go back in and say, 'Why does Gary Lineker get £1.75 million for a Saturday job?'"

http://cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/bbc-cancels-plans-for-the-fast-show-reunion-episodes

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Malcy on May 01, 2019, 12:53:00 PM
Not happening now.

http://cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/bbc-cancels-plans-for-the-fast-show-reunion-episodes

...which is a shame.
...(not) nice!
... does the budget look too big for this?
...Hello, dear, I am pissed ( off that we're unable to make these programmes )
...we're sorry, we've just come (to the conclusion that we're not granting you the budget to make these programmes )
... You ain't seen these reunion programmes, right ( due to them not being made ) ?
... scotchio! ( as in the verb " to scotch", that means to put a stop to something, dunnit? )
...* someone acting like that really indecisive character played by Paul Whitehouse, constantly wavering between making an actual decision about something, due to constantly being influenced by the conflicting comments made by his mates down the pub, until they finally say " Nah, I 've decided for certain, fuck off lads, we're definitely not going to let you make these programmes " *
( etc. )

lipsink

The Beeb are too busy spending money on exciting new shows by Rob Beckett.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 01, 2019, 01:49:22 PM

...* someone acting like that really indecisive character played by Paul Whitehouse, constantly wavering between making an actual decision about something, due to constantly being influenced by the conflicting comments made by his mates down the pub, until they finally say " Nah, I 've decided for certain, fuck off lads, we're definitely not going to let you make these programmes " *
( etc. )

Had these been made, that character would definitely have been seen deliberating over Brexit. A cert.

Hey, Punk!

Never been a fan of John Thomson, he was easily the weakest performer on the show. Louis Balfour is great though, admittedly.

koeman

The writer of that article seems to be unaware that Caroline Aherne is no longer with us.

Icehaven

Quote from: koeman on May 02, 2019, 10:59:03 AM
The writer of that article seems to be unaware that Caroline Aherne is no longer with us.

I'd actually forgotten that too, but then I'm not writing an article about The Fast Show.

paruses

Quote from: icehaven on May 02, 2019, 01:23:56 PM
I'd actually forgotten that too, but then I'm not writing an article about The Fast Show.

I listened to The Reunion the other day where they had The Fast Show lot on. At the end Sue McGregor said "[something something] but with two of you missing [something something]". I thought Mark Williams straight away and then had to rack my brain. Then I was quite sad for a bit.

Quote from: Hey, Punk! on May 02, 2019, 10:44:41 AM
Never been a fan of John Thomson, he was easily the weakest performer on the show. Louis Balfour is great though, admittedly.
In The Reunion he talks about being the weakest one partly through laziness and partly through inexperience.

It's not an amazing listen but worth it for a few bits Sue M talks over them in a couple of places and ruins possible gems, I think. Paul W also plays up to the audience a bit too much and they seem willing to laugh at anything. I'm not convinced that PW is that nice a person (but then who says he has to be?)

DrGreggles

Quote from: paruses on May 02, 2019, 01:46:50 PM
I'm not convinced that PW is that nice a person (but then who says he has to be?)

Kathy Burke says he is, and that's good enough for me.

paruses

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 02, 2019, 02:18:22 PM
Kathy Burke says he is, and that's good enough for me.

Me too. Thank you for the update.

ajsmith2

Quote from: paruses on May 02, 2019, 01:46:50 PM

In The Reunion he talks about being the weakest one partly through laziness and partly through inexperience.

I'm always amazed to remember how young John Thomson was when he was on The Fast Show. He was just 25 when the first series went out. Especially weird when you consider most of his characters tended towards being 40s and up, and he never seemed to play any 'youthful' characters despite real life age (a good example of this ironic situation would be the 'Mr Wells' sketch with 30-something Whitehouse, Higson and Day as the arrogant Oasisy rock band and a 26-year old Thomson playing their mild mannered middle aged manager).

paruses

Quote from: ajsmith2 on May 02, 2019, 03:25:22 PM
I'm always amazed to remember how young John Thomson was when he was on The Fast Show. [...]and he never seemed to play any 'youthful' characters despite real life age (a good example of this ironic situation would be the 'Mr Wells' sketch with 30-something Whitehouse, Higson and Day as the arrogant Oasisy rock band and a 26-year old Thomson playing their mild mannered middle aged manager).

I've always thought there was a Clive Dunn quality about him.

I saw him at Euston station once, you know. People don't believe me when I say that but it's true.

Goldentony

Since the reunions off, just show the Swearing Man episode of THAT'S AMAZING and then the CAN I COME ON YOUR TITS sketch for an hour

paruses

I seem to remember a one-off that had loads of sketches / characters in that they didn't use. The one that sticks in my mind is Simon Day's mediaeval king where (I think) John Thompson's jester bops him playfully on the head with a ball on a stick to which the king says "Right, burn him. And burn his face first".

I love Simon Day.

the

Quote from: paruses on May 02, 2019, 04:32:43 PMI seem to remember a one-off that had loads of sketches / characters in that they didn't use.

That was called You Ain't Seen These, Right. It's on the DVD set.

I see the comedy fan necessity of designating a 'Shit one' has sprung to life, aiming arbitrarily for John Thomson this time. Whatever next.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: the on May 02, 2019, 04:50:58 PM
That was called You Ain't Seen These, Right. It's on the DVD set.

I see the comedy fan necessity of designating a 'Shit one' has sprung to life, aiming arbitrarily for John Thomson this time. Whatever next.

Probably some condescending wank turning up.

Goldentony

John Thomson as Ken in the later Men Behaving Badly episodes was good, in one of those 'moments from TV that stayed with you' things, whenever I say hello or introduce myself I hear him saying

"THIS IS KEN"

from the episode he's introduced in, and it's worth mentioning having typed this that I am single still and long term unemployed with no mates or pubes