Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,464
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:31:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Fast Show 25th Anniversary Special

Started by Malcy, October 29, 2018, 06:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the

madhair60

Quote from: the on May 02, 2019, 04:50:58 PM
That was called You Ain't Seen These, Right. It's on the DVD set.

I see the comedy fan necessity of designating a 'Shit one' has sprung to life, aiming arbitrarily for John Thomson this time. Whatever next.

Yeah cos the shit one was Arabella Weir. Not my opinion, the opinion of my GIRLFRIEND.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I was just coming on here to point out that Arabella Weir was always the shit one.

With nary a care for the controversy I'm about to cause, I can safely say that Simon Day was always the second shittest one. Terrible actor, too.

madhair60

Jerzy Bondov

Remove yourselves from life for these opinions

madhair60

She's rubbish in it, mate; utterly trite ideas and not even performed very well.

Just my opinion and the opinion of damehair60

Jerzy Bondov

Ah I thought you were agreeing that Simon Day was shit as well and had a knee jerk reaction. There shall be no criticism of Gideon Soames.

I don't really like Does My Bum Look Big In This, always seemed too catchphrasey even for The Fast Show, just reeling it off when it didn't even make sense, but I like the Girl Men Can't Hear and the Girl Who Acts Differently Around Men and the Grandma That Goes 'HA!'

Not interested in working out who was shit on The Fast Show, they all had their moments, I fucking love The Fast Show.

Hey, Punk!

That was called You Ain't Seen These, Right. It's on the DVD set.

I see the comedy fan necessity of designating a 'Shit one' has sprung to life, aiming arbitrarily for John Thomson this time. Whatever next.

Sorry, just don't like him. If you do, that's fine, don't care.

DrGreggles

Shit one in The Fast Show or not*, John Thompson gets a lifetime free pass for this:

*It's 'not', BTW

ajsmith2

Agree that Does My Bum Look Big In This was one of the poorer characters and a bit of a 'forced meme' of the time. Arabella Weir in general good though. South African perfume lady I always thought was a brilliantly esoteric creation to mention one of many good turns she did.

shiftwork2

Chip Cobb Deaf Stuntman was great, even those four words are beautiful.

the

On the behind the scenes footage on the DVDs, there's a camera rehearsal of the Colin Hunt sketch with Thomson as Keith Uckyourself (the über-Hunt). It's great watching him make Charlie Higson corpse by fucking about with his bag of props.

There's a detectable amount of corpsing in the final version too.

koeman

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on May 03, 2019, 09:47:51 AM
Ah I thought you were agreeing that Simon Day was shit as well and had a knee jerk reaction. There shall be no criticism of Gideon Soames.

I don't really like Does My Bum Look Big In This

Me neither, but I do like the fact that Weir's presumably autobiographical show she's taking to Edinburgh this year is called 'Does My Mum Loom Big In This?'

Another vote for Chip Cobb Deaf Stuntman being both great, and four beautiful words.

Shit Good Nose

And Denzil Dexter!  Fat Sweaty Coppers!!  And fucking Louis Balfour!!!!

And Simon Day being the second shittest???  Billy Bleach, Competitive Dad, Dave Angel, Tommy Cockles (admittedly the character pre-existed TFS, but even so...), Monkfish.

Christ, what is wrong with you people?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

BeardFaceMan

It's not really arbitrary if it's John Thompson himself saying it too.

madhair60

Simon Day is a national treasure, to succumb to cliché

the

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 03, 2019, 12:48:33 PMChrist, what is wrong with you people?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

An overriding need to be surgically critical about a decent overall ensemble.

Arabella Weir's characters were mostly guff but it's not as if she dominates the show and requires excision. (And if you like the show overall, that would be true of whoever you consider to be the weakest one.) That's what I find pointless about playing 'who's The Shit One'. It's Andy Dawson all over again.

ajsmith2

I was always confused about Paul Shearer's status as a Fast Show cast member. He's in (I think?) every episode but only ever plays straight men, with the exception of Chanel 9, his one chance to play a regular funny character,

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: ajsmith2 on May 03, 2019, 01:12:30 PM
I was always confused about Paul Shearer's status as a Fast Show cast member. He's in (I think?) every episode but only ever plays straight men, with the exception of Chanel 9, his one chance to play a regular funny character,

There are a couple of Fast Show 'Orbiters', who despite having at least one semi-regular character, tend to just play straight or incidental roles for the rest of their appearances.

Jerzy Bondov

Did Paul Shearer write sketches? I thought that was the distinction between him (and Jeff Harding and Colin McFarlane for example) and the others but I could be wrong. The core team would give themselves the best roles, naturally.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Shearer absolutely knocks it out of the park with Channel 9. I wonder if he just had a particular affinity for convincingly performing pseudo-languages that simply made him the best one for the role.

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: the on May 03, 2019, 01:07:49 PM
An overriding need to be surgically critical about a decent overall ensemble.

Grow up.

Goldentony

Quote from: shiftwork2 on May 03, 2019, 12:28:15 PM

"PUNCH THE SHORT ARSE?"

NoOffenceLynn

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 03, 2019, 10:42:54 AM
Shit one in The Fast Show or not*, John Thompson gets a lifetime free pass for this:

*It's 'not', BTW
OH YOU CHEEKY MONKEY!
Trying to hold it together with an unfunny Velcro puppet- that has come undone- around his neck.

Is peak Partridge.Comedy

paruses

Quote from: shiftwork2 on May 03, 2019, 12:28:15 PM

Often imagine I am Chop Cobb when people say stuff to me I don't quite understand - replacing what they've said with "what's that? Ride me bike in to the dock?"

Thomson's characters probably stick in my mind more for that kind of thing than others:
"After 4 hours in makeup..."
"What did I say Roy?" "They're all poofs and lezzies." (I do both bits for Roy and Renee)
"Set meself on fire?"
"Don't ask me why. We just did."

All of this is in my head, mostly.

non capisco

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 03, 2019, 10:42:54 AM

*It's 'not', BTW

One of my favourite bits of comedy in existence. So many delicious details. "Pack it in, you!"

paruses

Quote from: non capisco on May 03, 2019, 03:32:32 PM
One of my favourite bits of comedy in existence. So many delicious details. "Pack it in, you!"

Yep.

"Don't touch him!"

jobotic