Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:58:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you have a favourite hymn?

Started by pancreas, October 29, 2018, 10:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

WHEN is he coming
WHEN O WHEN is he coming
The RedeeeeemmAAAAH?

WHEN is he coming
WHEN O WHEN is he coming
The RedeeeeemmAAAAH?

Come O come for the people of Earth, for the people of Earth...
Emaaaanuellll Emaaaanuellll  Emaaaanuellll

Pseudopath

Quote from: Twed on October 31, 2018, 01:53:50 AM
I feel like there must be an entire class of people on this forum intrinsically bound by "Autumn Days".

I was just going to mention that one. What a corker. Sing along now: https://youtu.be/w9mvrkQbzgc

Psmith

When a little lad and forced to go to chapel,the two hymns that would brighten the boredom were "For those in peril on the sea" and "Hills of the North,rejoice".

easytarget

Quote from: Pseudopath on October 31, 2018, 04:10:33 AM
I was just going to mention that one. What a corker. Sing along now: https://youtu.be/w9mvrkQbzgc
Autumn, with the leaves changing colour? smell of wood smoke? chill in the air? conkers? oh and  "Jetplanes meeting in the air to be refuelled."

kind of fucked up autumn you dealing with bro?

Twed

Said Judas to Mary,
"Now what will you do with your ointment so rich and rare?"
"I'll pour it all over the feet of the Lord, and I'll wipe it away with my hair,"
she said,
"I'll wipe it away with my hair."

A bit too much to deal with at age seven, that one.

the science eel

Quote from: icehaven on October 31, 2018, 02:43:45 AM
WHEN is he coming
WHEN O WHEN is he coming
The RedeeeeemmAAAAH?

WHEN is he coming
WHEN O WHEN is he coming
The RedeeeeemmAAAAH?

Yeah, that's a good one.

shh

I remember we would be allowed to sing this one if we had behaved during assembly. Sounds too catchy to be a proper hymn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qS-7gh9tz0

pancreas

Quote from: borealis on October 30, 2018, 11:48:13 PM
Hi, pancreas.

Was alerted to this page by a friend.

I'm an elderly agnostic who's been playing guitar and singing with a music group for four local rural Canadian Anglican churches for the past 8 or 9 years.

Can't help you with the keyboard, but there are hundreds of hymnal resources online, no doubt including for whatever denomination you're playing for. Many of them include music and midis (synthesised digital melody) so you can learn the melody.

Yes, I did find hymnary.org, which looks very useful, particularly for finding the numbers in the New English Hymnal. I can actually sight-read most hymns fine on the piano in 4-part harmony. It's just doing it on the organ with feet going in opposite direction to the left hand that is something I can't just do yet.

Will check out your suggestions, thanks!

pancreas

Quote from: icehaven on October 31, 2018, 02:43:45 AM
WHEN is he coming
WHEN O WHEN is he coming
The RedeeeeemmAAAAH?

WHEN is he coming
WHEN O WHEN is he coming
The RedeeeeemmAAAAH?

Wow. That is pure filth.

easytarget spot on with the jet planes. Clearly military jets that won't return to land to refuel because they become vulnerable or provide a blind spot in the coverage or something. Apparently I love this thing so well.

PowerButchi

I feel like there must be an entire class of people on this forum intrinsically bound by "Autumn Days".

Indeed! That and Everybody's Building were top of the hit parade at Rhosymedre Juniors. Loved by all.

mrClaypole

I watched the sunrise. We used to sing it at school every Friday. The only time I've heard it recently is at funerals sadly.
I personally want this played at my funeral.
This version and no other.

https://youtu.be/qRzQn6EHBAQ

Sebastian Cobb

flotemysost

Ha, that one was a staple at my (secular but hymn-singing) primary school, I never realised there was a religious bent to it though. Ours had different verses too.

I do really like The Lord Bless You and Keep You: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZN1mryHEnQ I've never been religious or a churchgoer, but I first came across this one at my work choir. A couple of years later it was performed at an old friend's wedding, which did make me tear up a bit.

New Jack

I remember at infants school singing hymns all the time at assembly but I also remember singing the Beatles. A Day in the Life and that. And whatever that Take You By The Hand And Lead You Down The Streets of London choon woz. Blowin in the Wind too!

Not a complaint by any means. The pianist got bored in the best way.  Probably a bit of a Sixties folkie

Camp Tramp

I've developed a fondness for "There's No Hiding Place Down Here". Used to good effect in Babylon 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zly_tL5mMc8

Starts from about 3:20

SteveDave

"Living Lord" because in the third verse you have to sing "Led out to die on Calvary" quietly before blasting out

"RISEN FROM DEATH TO SET US FREE! LIVING LORD JESUS HELP US SEE YOU ARE LORD"

I bloody loved hymns.

Twed

Quote from: SteveDave on November 27, 2018, 12:28:10 PM
"Living Lord" because in the third verse you have to sing "Led out to die on Calvary" quietly before blasting out

"RISEN FROM DEATH TO SET US FREE! LIVING LORD JESUS HELP US SEE YOU ARE LORD"

I bloody loved hymns.
O come let us adore him
O come let us adore him
O COME LET US ADORE HIM
HOLY FUCKING CHRIST IT'S THE LORD!

Gulftastic

Abide With Me and Jerusalem. They're the only two I'll ever sing, and that's because I'm drunk when they play them at the Challenge Cup final.

As a kid, I always loved belting out 'When A Knight Won His Spurs'. I like the stuff about dragons.

colacentral

put some oil in his lamp or whatever

SteveDave

"Come down Zacchaeus,
Down from that tree,
Come down Zacchaeus,
And give the Lord his tea"

Zacchaeus, Jesus is gasping.

famethrowa

Quote from: colacentral on November 28, 2018, 05:05:16 AM
put some oil in his lamp or whatever

There's no way a HMHB fan could listen to that without creasing up.

famethrowa

Quote from: SteveDave on November 28, 2018, 12:05:36 PM
"Come down Zacchaeus,
Down from that tree,
Come down Zacchaeus,
And give the Lord his tea"

Zacchaeus, Jesus is gasping.

And yea Jesus declared that he was spitting feathers

QDRPHNC

Leaning on the Everlasting Arms is lovely. Here's Iris DeMente's version, and also a recording from some church somewhere. Although you might be a bit too white to pull that off.

Twed

"Cross over the road my friend" was a weird one. Really mixing its metaphors. The song is ostensibly about going out of your way to help somebody like a good Christian, but it's worded like a metaphor for dying. There must be a few children who concluded that they're supposed to martyr themselves.

Phil_A

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 28, 2018, 05:47:21 PM
Leaning on the Everlasting Arms is lovely. Here's Iris DeMente's version, and also a recording from some church somewhere. Although you might be a bit too white to pull that off.

Leeeeeeeeaning, leeeeeeeeeeeaning...

pancreas

Quote from: famethrowa on October 29, 2018, 10:18:58 PM
Definitely go with Vaughan Williams' Down Ampney (Come Down O Love Divine)

https://hymnary.org/tune/down_ampney_vaughan_williams

This is amazing, btw. I feel it should be quite slow and luxurious. It's also got some complicated bits, so that's how it's going to be played, in any case.