Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:43:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mike Ashley

Started by Blue Jam, October 30, 2018, 05:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

SD is 'cheaper' because they often use poor quality grey imports destined for the Eastern Bloc. Ever bought cheap Adidas or Nike from there and thought they've fallen apart quick? That's why.

They'll also buy up respectable outdoor gear manufacturers and pelt out as much shit-tier stuff under their name as they can get away with before people realise. Like what Argos did with once-respectable radio manufacturer Bush.

Pingers

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 31, 2018, 10:47:06 AM

I just want to see him inserted into an anus I didn't imagine I'd have to provide a detailed plan about it.

I can't believe you haven't properly project managed the cow's anus thing. Welcome to amateur hour.

kngen

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on October 30, 2018, 11:47:56 PM
Yawn. Any chance of you lot focusing on the good things he's done for a change?

He seems hellbent on destroying the second iteration of Rangers FC.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 31, 2018, 11:48:25 AM
SD is 'cheaper' because they often use poor quality grey imports destined for the Eastern Bloc. Ever bought cheap Adidas or Nike from there and thought they've fallen apart quick? That's why.

They'll also buy up respectable outdoor gear manufacturers and pelt out as much shit-tier stuff under their name as they can get away with before people realise. Like what Argos did with once-respectable radio manufacturer Bush.

Sounds about right for a country fixated on short-termism. Even China had the good sense to raise public spending during the financial crisis. Built an all-new rail network, don't you know; from which they are now in a position to sell numerous spin-off technologies to less adventurous economies.

Mean while, we're filling up the channels with virtual roulette tables and trying and failing to start a rumour abroad that Primark isn't that bad. Mike Ashley is merely the latest manifestation of chronic low ambition and an inability to grasp at any long term plan. There's nothing in his face or body to suggest anything different.

Blue Jam

^^^He's "an opportunist" with "no long-term plan" according to this- and blimey, it's even worse than I thought:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46074109

Is there any kind of legal limit on how many high street retail outlets a single owner can buy up, or is this all fine as long as there are no mergers?

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 31, 2018, 11:48:25 AMThey'll also buy up respectable outdoor gear manufacturers and pelt out as much shit-tier stuff under their name as they can get away with before people realise.

Karrimor? I was in the market for some proper hiking boots earlier this year and when I was doing a bit of research on brands I saw a lot of posts on hiking/outdoor forums about Karrimor, lamenting that they used to be good until Mike Ashley bought the brand and started putting their good name on any old crap.

I ended up getting some Solomon GTX boots. From Sports Direct... a steal at £60 but I feel a bit bad now.

Uncle TechTip

I think Evans could benefit from a little economy as when I had a look round one a few months back, the prices were eye-wateringly high. Even small stuff like a pannier, which you don't expect to have a stupid mark up like a bike would, was 30 pounds more expensive than on line. That's why Ashley was able to pick it up for cheap

mobias

I think he's over stretching himself and its all going to come crashing down. A lot of middle class people hate him. Particularly the sort of middle class person who used to like to shop in House of Fraser or Evans.

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 03, 2018, 10:13:35 AM

Karrimor? I was in the market for some proper hiking boots earlier this year and when I was doing a bit of research on brands I saw a lot of posts on hiking/outdoor forums about Karrimor, lamenting that they used to be good until Mike Ashley bought the brand and started putting their good name on any old crap.

Yeah Karrimor were a legendary company in the hiking and climbing scene for many decades. Then Ashley bought them and it all went down the toilet.

Sebastian Cobb

I was going to get a jacket from Evans today. I'd like to say I fucked it off because I didn't want to support Ashley, but the fact is, it was a weird size that meant I was in between large and xl and neither fit.

So fuck 'em.

im barry bethel

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 03, 2018, 10:13:35 AM
^^^He's "an opportunist" with "no long-term plan" according to this- and blimey, it's even worse than I thought:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46074109

Is there any kind of legal limit on how many high street retail outlets a single owner can buy up, or is this all fine as long as there are no mergers?

There's a fifth of Patty Vals up for grabs at an 80% discount to anyone with cold hard cash

Z

RE: Karrimor, didn't know about their rep, the two waterproof pairs I got for 20 pound earlier this year are still holding up pretty well though. Nowhere near as well as pairs I've paid real money for but far better than I expected at that price point.

Sebastian Cobb

My parents still have some admittedly primitive looking by today's standards, camping gear from the 70's.

Then again I was going to say I had karrimour walking boots that have served me for nearly 20 years, but then remembered they're berghaus' gortex stuff.

Blue Jam

Quote from: im barry bethel on November 03, 2018, 07:07:58 PM
There's a fifth of Patty Vals up for grabs at an 80% discount to anyone with cold hard cash

I had imagined Mike Ashley buying Patisserie Valerie and Greggsing it the fuck up.

mobias

Karrimor were a huge British success story in the world of hiking and mountaineering. A truly global brand for a while sponsoring many a famous mountaineering expedition. I think they were always a family owned business but they themselves over stretched and bought loads of smaller companies like Mountain Warehouse in an attempt to become more of a high street brand. Anyway, it all went tits up for various reasons and Ashley ended up buying them out for next to nothing. It was quite a well documented story at the time because they were such a world famous brand for what they used to be.

Consignia

I've not got any Karrimor footware, but I bought some running clothes by them and they've been quite comfortable and durable. I do despise going into Sports Direct though, they are most horrible places to visit.

Blue Jam

the hum

I bought some expensive-ish Karrimor wellies years ago (and therefore presumably well pre-Ashley). They started leaking at about the third time of wearing, so I say fuck 'em, whoever owns them.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 05, 2019, 11:05:14 PM
The rahs won't be happy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49241307

This is so funny.  Obviously that shop was built on bollocks and artifice.  Where now for the upper middle class Southwold and Salcombe hoodie-wearer?  Sports Direct!

BlodwynPig

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 05, 2019, 11:05:14 PM
The rahs won't be happy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49241307

Interesting that the guy engaged to the boss's daughter is named 'Head of Elevation'.

Blue Jam

bgmnts

Genuinely cannot wait for this cunt to die.

idunnosomename

Quote from: bgmnts on August 24, 2020, 03:27:49 PM
Genuinely cannot wait for this cunt to die.
heart attack 100% certain

Sebastian Cobb

Wasn't the guy that ran JJB one of his rivals either?

I never went to the shops he keeps buying (department stores are horrid) but the idea of one cunt owning most of the high street makes me feel ill, especially with his business model of duping people who don't know better by taking a brand and running it's name into the ground by slapping their label low-cost generic shit sourced from the far east.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 24, 2020, 03:44:32 PM
Wasn't the guy that ran JJB one of his rivals either?

Same guy, yes. According to a source quoted on Wikipedia, Ashley "likes to park his tanks on people's lawns".

QuoteI never went to the shops he keeps buying (department stores are horrid) but the idea of one cunt owning most of the high street makes me feel ill, especially with his business model of duping people who don't know better by taking a brand and running it's name into the ground by slapping their label low-cost generic shit sourced from the far east.

Department stores? Oh it's much worse that just that:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frasers_Group

Bob's Stores
EAG
Eastern Mountain Sports
European Golf
Evans Cycles
Field & Trek
Firetrap
Flannels
French Connection
Game
Gelert
Heatons
House of Fraser
Sofa.com
Jack Wills
Sportland International Group
SportsDirect.com
SweatshopTri
UKUSC

Agent Provocateur
Airwalk
British Knights
Carlton
Donnay
Everlast
Firetrap
Gelert
GoldDigga
Grumpytoly Apparel
Gul
Hot Tuna
Kangol
Karrimor
LA Gear
Lonsdale
Lovell Rugby
Lovell Rackets
Miso
Miss Fiori
Muddyfox
Mulberry
Nevica
No Fear
Slazenger
Sondico
SoulCal
USA Pro
Voodoo Dolls

Plenty of dated 90's brands in there, and I knew about the once-proud British brands like Slazenger and Karrimor which he's run into the ground like you say, but some surprises too- I never knew he owned Game, Agent Provocateur, sofa.com and Mulberry.

I was wondering where French Connection had disappeared to as well, they were always overpriced but good quality and I used to get a lot of their Great Plains stuff cheap in John Lewis sales and at TK Maxx. Now I guess it's exclusive to Sports Direct and USC and the quality has gone massively downhill.

It's depressing to see how it's getting harder to avoid giving your money to this prick, and how he seems determined to turn the entire high street into variations of his stack 'em high, sell' em cheap emporia.

Personally I find department stores really convenient for Christmas shopping and I just hope he doesn't buy John Lewis. Evans Cycles was the only one I was actually a bit sad about because I got my beloved bike there a decade ago and always found them surprisingly good and helpful for a high street chain, fortunately I live near a very good local independent bike shop and can support them instead.

I love Karrimor walking trainers, and have had a Karrimor rucksack that's lasted me several years. I tend to pick them up from 'Factory Shop' which is like a local range of discount stores in a couple of towns in Norfolk. No idea if Ashley has his hands in that pie of shops.

Blue Jam

I don't know about that, but he does own the Karrimor brand and the Karrimor walking boots you can buy now aren't like the high-quality ones they used to make, they're poorly-made crap with a Karrimor logo slapped on them.

Chances are that bag you own was made before Mike Ashley bought them. Ditto for the walking shoes if they're good quality.

Sebastian Cobb

I didn't know about Game, didn't they own Gamestation too?

Airwalk too. I've had some alright shoes and jackets from them in the past. I knew about Karrimour, but was surprised and saddened when I found out.

steveh

Must be a limited time that cost-cutting model works before you start getting diminishing returns though as people cotton on. And if he's buying failed companies just to get back at people then that sounds like a quick way to go bust.

That explains why they had a little Game point of sale thing in Sports Direct when I was in there last. Not sure there's much market for people to buy one of four old video games at full price whilst they shop for discount trainers, but then I'm not a fat billionaire. I'm just fat.

Blue Jam

Game seems to mainly sell merchandise these days, so presumably we'll be seeing Minecraft T-shirts and those PlayStation Christmas jumpers in Sports Direct before long.

I got a £50 Game giftcard for Christmas and immediately spent it on £50 of Xbox store credit. Ashley buying Game doesn't make sense to me when it's often cheaper and more convenient to buy games as digital downloads. With the AAA releases people are prepared to pay full price for on the release date, it's often still preferable to pre-order them so the download automatically starts at midnight and you have it waiting for you the next morning, and with all the latest patches and updates. Perhaps Ashley is hoping he'll be able to cash in on a few sales of the Xbox X Series and PS5.

Buying a chain of gyms doesn't make sense to me either. During a recession when people start trying to make savings cancelling their gym membership is often the first thing they do. Recently the entire country has had to adapt to working out at home while the gyms are closed and I can't see everyone flooding back, especially as people have been panic-buying bikes and free weights and running machines.