Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:13:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Julia Holter - Aviary

Started by Dirty Boy, October 31, 2018, 10:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirty Boy

I loved Have You In My Wilderness and Loud City Song, so was looking forward to this.

I'm only on my second listen, which is nowhere near close to unpicking this nonsense, but from what i can gather this is some fascinating and haunting... what would you call it? art rock? wonky pop? pretentious shite? shades of Ms Bush, Laurie Anderson, Holly Herndon etc.

Anyone else heard it yet?

I Shall Love 2

Head Gardener

it's amazing, the first track alone is one of the best tunes of the year

Shaky

Quote from: Dirty Boy on October 31, 2018, 10:47:02 AM
I Shall Love 2

Oooh, I'd heard bits and bobs in the past but that track is absolutely lovely.

king_tubby

Oh, worth checking out then, I guess. I love Tragedy and Ekstasis, but wasn't that bothered by the next two, they weren't odd enough.

Howj Begg

I loved Wilderness too, looking forward to this

sevendaughters

Didn't like any of Holter's previous at all (which I heard near enough the time of release). But, because she's an important act of our day and on good terms with a bunch of musicians I do like (Gary War, John Maus), I went in on this wholeheartedly. I also re-listened to Ekstasis last week and liked it much more than I did at the time.

It was a wild ride that had peaks and troughs before it ended with me tapping out during the child chorus of 'I Will Love 2'. The one song with the bagpipes is tremendously awful. I liked the run at the start, with the VERY Bjorky opener, and particularly 'Chaitus', but the whole thing felt like a bit of an endurance test. I took a look at the run times of the tracks still to play and knew I wasn't getting out of there without feeling tetchy and annoyed, so I turned it off. I might return to it but maybe like Ekstasis she's 6 years ahead of my tastes.

Dirty Boy

Oh yeah, i didn't mention that there's 90 minutes of it!

I think i'm really going to get a lot out of this album over the winter.

Brundle-Fly

Holter is great. Real ear for melody amongst all the gentle oddness.

king_tubby

First listen this morning and it didn't really grab me. I thought the second cd was more interesting.

I'll give it another go RIGHT NOW.