Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:55:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP Hardy Fox

Started by garbed_attic, October 31, 2018, 11:32:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbed_attic

The figure who has inspired me the most creatively. The Residents were and are deeply silly and deeply serious in a way that makes the synthesis seem entirely necessary and appropriate, mixing ugliness with beauty, finding the one within the other.

I'm pretty gutted and it is bittersweet that he has departed for the great eyeball in the sky on Halloween.

Dirty Boy

I'd heard he was on his way out, but sad to have it confirmed. RIP Foxy.

Love The Residents and have been listening to God In 3 Persons a lot lately.

Brundle-Fly

Thank you sir and Godspeed to the next destination
R.I.P.

Mahogany Wood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfEjIbAs-2c

garbed_attic

Quote from: Dirty Boy on October 31, 2018, 11:43:43 AM
I'd heard he was on his way out, but sad to have it confirmed. RIP Foxy.

Love The Residents and have been listening to God In 3 Persons a lot lately.

If Snakefinger had lived to add his guitar licks it'd probably be my fave of their albums - lyrically it's the most intriguing and definitely one of their most queer.

I actually think there's a good article or paper to be written on queer sexualities in The Residents!

I love this track particularly, 'The Touch':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XktmIRlWkE&t=0s&list=PL0083D48C3F407010

garbed_attic

My friend Matt wrote a lovely piece on Hardy's passing, much of which I relate to:

http://kittysneezes.com/rip-hardy-fox/

colacentral

I only just noticed this. It's a much bigger death to me than Bowie or Prince or Leonard Cohen.

Very sad. I felt a bit of worry about him when he announced he was retiring from touring a couple of years ago as he was too old and it was too painful. I can't believe he'd die so soon after.

Worth noting for any casual listeners that he essentially is The Residents, the musical driving force behind them. Once you know that it's for all intents and purposes one person behind the majority of the music you can recognise a unifying theme to it.

On the gay angle mentioned above: there's a section on his website, written as Bobuck, where he briefly describes the story behind a few albums. One is Not Available (my favourite), which he says came from a deep depression following the commercial failure of Meet the Residents and his struggle with being a closeted homosexual. I think the very cryptic, obscure, abstract music and lyrics of those albums, not to mention the tension of the music, make alot of sense in the context of a closeted homosexual from Texas living through the 70's when those early albums were produced.

I'll have a listen to Make Me Moo and have a little cry now.

a duncandisorderly

an ex of mine, married to eric drew feldman latterly, she told me that hardy was poorly a couple of months ago, right after I'd been making a fuss about getting tix for the london show early next year. so... boo. I guess it will be going ahead.

NoSleep

I don't think he has been a full time member for some time, although he continued to write music for them. RIP Hardy.

garbed_attic

Quote from: NoSleep on November 07, 2018, 05:33:43 PM
I don't think he has been a full time member for some time, although he continued to write music for them. RIP Hardy.

Well it is a tricky business decided as to what *counts* as being a member of The Residents - I mean, some of the more recent albums like Mushroom are essentially Hardy solo albums... yet, of course, he wasn't performing on stage. I absolutely count Feldman and Molly Harvey as members, for instance.

It's perhaps best not to get too caught up about it, of course... at the end of the day, Hardy bought a lot to the Residents, likely the most and certainly a lot of soul. The Residents can and should continue forever, but they are an embodiment of much of Hardy's vision and musical insights.

Brundle-Fly

This was my first reveal of Homer & Hardy at the 23:13 mark from The Eyes Scream VHS 1991. (Penn & Teller, come to that) I was already obsessed with the Video Voodoo Vol.1 VHS comp from a few years earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwmwu4IaRGc

NoSleep

Quote from: gout_pony on November 07, 2018, 10:07:40 PM
Well it is a tricky business decided as to what *counts* as being a member of The Residents - I mean, some of the more recent albums like Mushroom are essentially Hardy solo albums... yet, of course, he wasn't performing on stage. I absolutely count Feldman and Molly Harvey as members, for instance.

I was replying to duncandisorderly's observation about the band's forthcoming dates; I don't think Hardy has been out on tour for some time now. I believe only Homer remained from the original line-up during the tour for The Bunny Boy, for example.

garbed_attic

Quote from: NoSleep on November 08, 2018, 07:46:51 AM
I was replying to duncandisorderly's observation about the band's forthcoming dates; I don't think Hardy has been out on tour for some time now. I believe only Homer remained from the original line-up during the tour for The Bunny Boy, for example.

Ah I see! Yeh, I believe you're right!

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on November 07, 2018, 05:26:41 PM
an ex of mine, married to eric drew feldman latterly, she told me that hardy was poorly a couple of months ago, right after I'd been making a fuss about getting tix for the london show early next year. so... boo. I guess it will be going ahead.

I have a ticket for the Brighton show and that seems to be still going ahead.

RIP Hardy, and thanks for blowing my early twentysomething mind.

pupshaw

She can see the silver sometimes shining on the sea
Reflecting from the flying fishes wishing she could be
A little piece of sand that's blown above the ocean's breeze
But all she has is thoughts of all those fingers peeling seeds
And leaving them to mold among the women watching weeds