Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:33:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Were any of the celebs in Brass Eye DEFINITELY in on the joke?

Started by Shit Good Nose, October 31, 2018, 01:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-O-W-L

I believe Vance realized it was a wind-up pretty quick, the man was shit-hot. His interview with Roger Waters about The Wall had him click the plot of the story very fast even when Roger was stammering and sort of giving half-arsed answers.

Shaky

Shit Good Nose

Yep, it is himself - Wiki may not be the most reliable internet source, but The Day Today is listed in his IMDB credits, and all info on IMDB is properly verifiable and not open to easy edits.

Bennett Brauer

My first reaction years ago was lookalike, and looking at it again today I still don't think it's him.

The moustache and beard don't look right. Branson's moustache wasn't trimmed under the nose like that. The hair looks a bit wiggy. The timbre of his voice doesn't sound the same as Branson's (I know he's only mumbling). Some marks on the face don't match photos of Branson. (And would Branson have done a show like this made by relative unknowns? He's more of a bandwagon, big ratings publicity hound.)

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on November 21, 2018, 12:43:02 PM
My first reaction years ago was lookalike, and looking at it again today I still don't think it's him.

The moustache and beard don't look right. Branson's moustache wasn't trimmed under the nose like that. The hair looks a bit wiggy. The timbre of his voice doesn't sound the same as Branson's (I know he's only mumbling). Some marks on the face don't match photos of Branson. (And would Branson have done a show like this made by relative unknowns? He's more of a bandwagon, big ratings publicity hound.)

He's been in a LOT of shit fictional TV shows as himself over the years.  The Day Today was one of the better higher profile ones.

Bennett Brauer

Given the IMDb and Wiki credits I could well be wrong, reluctant to get past my initial instinct. I just couldn't see why he would do something like that particular sketch when it might not be clear it's him and he's not in the credits. Anyone want to risk Linehan's ire by asking him on Twitter? He and Mathews wrote the sketch.

neveragain

I still don't think it's him either. This isn't the greatest bit of evidence but I remember reading that it wasn't him on some transcripts from a (pre-CaB) Morris fansite which I printed off when I was little and obsessed with the show.

However, when it got to Rok TV and the picture of Charlie Drake appeared with the announcement 'Mick Hucknall', the stage directions in the transcript read 'Fuck knows but he's ugly'. So maybe they weren't the most well-informed after all.

Bennett Brauer

Yeah, I saw that when I was looking for the clip. Do we know who's behind the account?

Just remembered another thing that made me think it wasn't Branson is him not saying anything after the swabs are out, which seems odd.

Paradoxically, the fact that I've now written three posts saying it isn't him almost certainly means it is.