Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:01:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Carly Rae Jepsen

Started by purlieu, October 31, 2018, 03:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purlieu

https://umusic.digital/gtqvxk/
New song available for streams 'n' that tomorrow. Called 'Party for One'. Reckon we'll get an album early next year.

alan nagsworth

mad that i can get so fucking excited about the imminent release of one song but by god i'm beside myself in anticipation

hummingofevil

The clips she posting are very teasing too. Half-tempo synth pop. Suggests a half-tempo more chill out sound or could just be processed/intros for more of the same glorious pop bangers. First guess is she's not gone down rumoured disco direction.

Art work is great too. Excited now.

Edit: I'm ill at home in bed and been wearing my Carly Rae / Black Flag t-shirt all week. Must be an omen.

rue the polywhirl

Digging out Emotion on Spotify. What a blinger of a tune. 'New Carly Rae Jepsen' - phrases that don't appear nearly as often as they should.

Z

She's doing this whole album with just one other major collaborator isn't she? Can't imagine it'll match emotion considering that

hummingofevil

She just posted this link to Spotify playlist.

https://open.spotify.com/user/carly_rae_jepsen/playlist/3eyn3ELiExnJSS5cbwHuTk?si=UzToF4AVQSiSTRbegrK4Qg

Very varied selection.

Reckon there got to be some awesome synth ballads on new record.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: hummingofevil on October 31, 2018, 09:30:34 PM
She just posted this link to Spotify playlist.

https://open.spotify.com/user/carly_rae_jepsen/playlist/3eyn3ELiExnJSS5cbwHuTk?si=UzToF4AVQSiSTRbegrK4Qg

Very varied selection.

Reckon there got to be some awesome synth ballads on new record.

Very dreary selection. Nothing remarkable about it. But looking forward to her record.

chocky909

Reckon it's taken so long for new material as she's had to rewrite the lyrics of all her new songs due to the Max Landis expose? I mean obviously I'm joking a bit but I'm genuinely interested to know if there has been any documented response from her about that huge article he wrote?

In case you don't know what I'm referring to ....

https://www.ascarnooneelsecansee.com/

alan nagsworth

Quote from: chocky909 on October 31, 2018, 11:14:58 PM
Reckon it's taken so long for new material as she's had to rewrite the lyrics of all her new songs due to the Max Landis expose? I mean obviously I'm joking a bit but I'm genuinely interested to know if there has been any documented response from her about that huge article he wrote?

In case you don't know what I'm referring to ....

https://www.ascarnooneelsecansee.com/

Haha whaaat the fuck? I had no idea about this, just read the intro, wish it wasn't so late as I want to read more. This looks nuts.

hummingofevil

Quote from: alan nagsworth on October 31, 2018, 11:52:26 PM
Haha whaaat the fuck? I had no idea about this, just read the intro, wish it wasn't so late as I want to read more. This looks nuts.

It caused a bit of a stir in online CRJ world. The gays having a go at Landis for trying to expose her to a new mainstream audience of straights that don't get her. Also very much a spirit of him being late-to-the-party.

It's an enjoyably mental article mind

chocky909

I never really thought about that. Maybe she deliberately writes unrequited love lyrics to appeal to the gays?

Anyway where's the new single? It's tomorrow now!

alan nagsworth

Quote from: chocky909 on November 01, 2018, 11:01:35 AM
I never really thought about that. Maybe she deliberately writes unrequited love lyrics to appeal to the gays?

Anyway where's the new single? It's tomorrow now!

It's on the old YouTube there, but not streaming platforms yet it seems. I'm at work but I'll be copping it as soon as I get on the train.

hummingofevil

It's on Spotify. It's a reassuring pop banger that very much continues the vibe of EMOTION. Maybe lyrically not as strong but love the production.

Edit: the video is awesome. And Landis can definitely stick it in his book.

chocky909

It's on Spotify now. Pretty good. Very Emotion-y.

Queneau

Interesting video sponsored by Absolut Vodka. Didn't end up as a party for one, did it?

purlieu

Decent song. Will probably get under my skin after a few listens like everything Emotion-era.

Z

I remain skeptical of this new album, but the first single from emotion was the worst song on the album so I'm not that surprised to be underwhelmed here

madhair60

alan nagsworth

Quote from: hummingofevil on November 01, 2018, 02:00:15 PM
Maybe lyrically not as strong but love the production.

Actually the production is my biggest gripe. The beat and the vocals sound a little off in the mix, I thought. But I've only given it the one listen so far. I really like it though.

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 02, 2018, 05:49:26 PM
Actually the production is my biggest gripe. The beat and the vocals sound a little off in the mix, I thought. But I've only given it the one listen so far. I really like it though.

But does it stand up to her previous stuff? Do you really, really, really, really, really, really, really like it?

purlieu

The production is a little flat in comparison to Emotion, which disappointed me at first, but after a few listens I'm digging it a lot.

hummingofevil

Two more new tracks up on Spotify.

Listening through shitty speakers but sounds like some nice synth bass on both. Both seem up there with EMOTION standards; no radical departure and Twitter stans will be happy.

She really is the pop equivalent of that third cocktail. You love the first two and the third is not going to be any different but you know you want it.

purlieu

Yeah these are pretty damn good. Still waiting for a 'Run Away With Me' / 'I Really Like You' style earworm, but all signs are that CRJ4 will be A Very Good Album.

hummingofevil

I'm going to make a big shout and these songs arent going to be on the album. Just teasers.

Got my big headphones on now and Party For One is the best of the three acoustically. They all FINE but if rumours are true and she's got 40+ tracks made then I think these might just be teases. If she's been working with Danny Harle then I think she has more intersting things hidden away.

Just listen to this (through good headphones)

https://youtu.be/CrFcxR4Y6C0

Noodle Lizard

Forgive me, but this is one of those moments where I'm sure I've gone a bit mad.  I remember Carly Rae Jepsen being seen as a bit of a joke along the lines of Rebecca Black or whatever with that annoying "Call Me Maybe" song a few years ago - has she since found a respectability among certain music fans?  What's going on here?

hummingofevil

You are very much forgiven Noodle Lizard if your mind is open and welcoming.

Here, CRJ is pop princess who does no wrong; if you go on Twitter be prepared to enter the CRJ "stan" world. Its 99.9% gay men but there are a few of us on here who got their backs; and rightfully so. She has made the most amazing pop records of the last decade.

hummingofevil

I could wax lyrical for days about pop music so I wont. She  has made loads of amazing pop tunes.Roger.

Do I need to defend CRJ guys? I will if you want me to. :)

I tried to broaden the debate here. You welcome to contribute.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=69163.0

its broadly a thread about how awesome Girls Aloud, Rachel Stevens and Robyn are.

https://vimeo.com/38499801

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 01, 2019, 10:31:55 AM
Forgive me, but this is one of those moments where I'm sure I've gone a bit mad.  I remember Carly Rae Jepsen being seen as a bit of a joke along the lines of Rebecca Black or whatever with that annoying "Call Me Maybe" song a few years ago - has she since found a respectability among certain music fans?  What's going on here?

To put it simply, the album that Call Me Maybe came from was critically really well-received all round, dispelling the idea that she might be just a one-hit wonder, and then her '80s-influenced follow-up album and EP were just as good, if not better.  If you don't like sugary, high-gloss electro-pop music at all though, her stuff won't be for you regardless.

purlieu

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 01, 2019, 10:31:55 AM
Her third album, Emotion, was a commercial flop but a huge critical success. I don't think I've come across an artist in any genre who seems to garner the love and respect she does from such a broad range of people. I have the 17 track Target exclusive version of the album and the nine track b-sides EP from the same sessions, and I think all 26 tracks are fucking brilliant. I'm not sure I've come across another artist who's recorded so much good music for one album.