Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:55:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Carly Rae Jepsen

Started by purlieu, October 31, 2018, 03:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummingofevil

It's utterly ace. 12 tracks. Not the disco record some thought just more of the CRJ blueprint.Heartbeat and Comeback are two the of the best slow-mo bangers I've heard in ages. Initial thoughts are its better than dedicated and i eventually learned to love those songs.

purlieu

I've still not really got into Dedicated outside of the singles - and I don't say that lightly, with Emotion in my all-time top 20 albums - but I'm hoping there might be something here that grabs me more. If not maybe I'll be able to cobble together an album-length selection of favourites from the two.

hummingofevil

Quote from: purlieu on May 21, 2020, 08:53:22 PM
I've still not really got into Dedicated outside of the singles - and I don't say that lightly, with Emotion in my all-time top 20 albums - but I'm hoping there might be something here that grabs me more. If not maybe I'll be able to cobble together an album-length selection of favourites from the two.

Aye. Still reckon EMOTION Side B is strongest thing she has ever put out.

As for Dedicated it did that thing where very little really grabbed me but then seeing her life tracks like No Drug Like Me and Too Much were just way better than I remembered and Party For One seemed like one of her megahits. It's association maybe but its no bad thing.

purlieu

Those three, Now That I Found You and I Want You in My Room I love, but the rest of the album has yet to do anything for me. I'm hoping one day it'll just click.

I have the 17 track Target edition of Emotion and Side B and I either really like or love all 26 tracks. That's almost unheard of for me. I suppose it's a lot to live up to.

hummingofevil

Quote from: purlieu on May 21, 2020, 09:58:36 PM
Those three, Now That I Found You and I Want You in My Room I love, but the rest of the album has yet to do anything for me. I'm hoping one day it'll just click.

I have the 17 track Target edition of Emotion and Side B and I either really like or love all 26 tracks. That's almost unheard of for me. I suppose it's a lot to live up to.

Her strike rate is insane. I can't find the link but she once said in an interview that whilst she got a little sick of hearing Call Me Maybe she will always love that song so much as all she wants to do is make music and writes 100s of songs for each album; and that she wrote this one song that mean't she can do exactly that for the rest of her life without ever worrying about paying the bills. Such a good way of thinking about things.

madhair60

Dedicated Side B grown on me massively. It's another killer.

alan nagsworth

I loved this on first listen today, which is a very positive sign, as "Dedicated" took a few spins to properly open up to me. "Heartbeat" might just be the best slow number she's done, "Now I Don't Hate California After All" sounds absolutely gorgeous and is a wonderfully bright and breezy track to close the record on, and "Summer Love", fucking hell, what a tune. Had a three-mile round trip to Homebase today to buy some paint, got stuck into this and the new Sparks album whilst soaking up the afternoon sun, absolute heaven.

BlodwynPig

Sorry, found it quite boring and samey.

hummingofevil

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 28, 2020, 07:16:24 PM
Sorry, found it quite boring and samey.

No closeted gay enough mate.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: hummingofevil on June 03, 2020, 06:31:27 AM
No closeted gay enough mate.

I don't have to be closeted or gay to enjoy dance pop, but this sounded quite dull. The opening coo's were the same on a few tracks.

hummingofevil

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 03, 2020, 09:01:25 AM
I don't have to be closeted or gay to enjoy dance pop, but this sounded quite dull. The opening coo's were the same on a few tracks.

Was a joke. No harm ment (obviously). The context is that literally 99% of CRJ's fanbase is a gay stan-base.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: hummingofevil on June 03, 2020, 09:16:30 AM
Was a joke. No harm ment (obviously). The context is that literally 99% of CRJ's fanbase is a gay stan-base.

what does this even mean? Gay men shouldn't have a hegemony over dance pop.

hummingofevil

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 03, 2020, 09:42:52 AM
what does this even mean? Gay men shouldn't have a hegemony over dance pop.

Correct.

Custard

I like her stuff, but I always find it a bit samey after awhile. There isn't much variety over the course of an album, for me. Real quality, well crafted pop, mind

From the new tunes, I especially like This Love Isn't Crazy
https://youtu.be/Zyuyf206h04

purlieu

Well my CD came today and I thought it was head and shoulders above the parent album. At least half of it is Emotion quality. Still a couple of those very smooth mid-tempo tracks that do nothing for me, but overall much more dynamic, dramatic and exciting than Dedicated itself. Really looking forward to giving this some serious listening.

machotrouts

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 03, 2020, 09:42:52 AM
Gay men shouldn't have a hegemony over dance pop.

Yes we should

BlodwynPig