Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:01:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Carly Rae Jepsen

Started by purlieu, October 31, 2018, 03:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Quote from: purlieu on March 01, 2019, 12:09:20 PM
Her third album, Emotion, was a commercial flop but a huge critical success. I don't think I've come across an artist in any genre who seems to garner the love and respect she does from such a broad range of people. I have the 17 track Target exclusive version of the album and the nine track b-sides EP from the same sessions, and I think all 26 tracks are fucking brilliant. I'm not sure I've come across another artist who's recorded so much good music for one album.

Agree wholeheartedly. Been binge listening to her stuff again this week following the fucking ace two new tracks. She's the queen of pop right now as far as I'm concerned, I'm a bit obsessed with her. Rina Sawayama is a close second but understandably she's nowhere near as famous. But for those of you who like stupidly fucking good pop music from an artist who doesn't seem to have any bad songs, go and check Rina out.

alan nagsworth

Video out for "Now That I Found You" and it's ABOUT A CAT AAHHH

I AM DYING this is too good

purlieu

New album, Dedicated, out on 17th May. 'Now That I Found You' and 'No Drug Like Me' are on there.

madhair60

chocky909

Stuck myself onto the presale list for the XOYO gig next month. Hope I can get in.

alan nagsworth

That fucking London gig is her only UK show, and I'm gonna be in Italy. Absolutely gutted beyond belief.

hummingofevil

I've off to Primavera to see her instead.

madhair60

BODY LANGUAGE WILL DO THE TRICK
IF YOU STAY WITH ME TONIGHT THEN WE'LL TALK IT OVER
THAT'S THE DANGER WITH MISSING IT
I JUST THINK WE'RE OVERTHINKING IT I THINK WE'RE OVERTHINKING IT

hummingofevil

So Julean is the long awaited CRJ disco tune. I'm not so sure in first listen on phone but it's still got that CRJ trademark vibe.

hummingofevil

Hold on minute. Is this take on the greatest thing ever a thing that has just toped the greatest thing ever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAQhG59zqZc

We all know the Chatroulette version of Call Me Maybe is the greatest (unofficial) music video ever made but I had no idea that this existed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsBsBU3vn6M

Justin Bieber's 2012 krew doing an hommage/piss take of the above. My mind is blown. I love them all. Are they taking the piss? Who cares? I fucking love the '12 Biebes even more than I did already.

madhair60

Pancake

My new album's out now guys!

samadriel

hummingofevil

Going to listen to full album now. A review incoming. Will listen in full and rate each track in context and try to ignore any previous listens.

hummingofevil

- Julien

She is now on record as saying that the original plan for the record was a laid-back disco album. The final bit of this track when it kicks in has a nice vibe but I worry that it is all a bit pedestrian. I'm not a fan of that synth hook that runs through it which is a problem. The production aesthetic is lovely. Could this album be a lacking trousers but saved by its mouth? That is my initial thought.

- No Drug Like Me

Segue's nicely in. The quality of the sound suggests this is at least a consistent sounding record overall (same palette of synth sounds). I was not a fan before but this sounds rather lovely in contrast to Julien; it has a bit more depth.

- Now That I Found You

My favourite bop of the year. Gone for the Nevermind/Ten trick of putting the most obvious lead single in at three on the record. I fucking love this track. If you don't then I'm not arguing with you but it is different enough from anything else you will listen to to be ace. It is a Carly Rae track if not the deepest of tunes. I must admit I would rather listen to it with one of the two ace videos though.

- Want You in My Room

First new-to-me song. Taylor Swift vibe. In a good way. The production is ace (I have my best expensive headphones in - that bass). Yeah this is ace. That weird gurgling synth line in background reminds me of Simple Minds or something but love how it is hidden away. This album is going to be a production masterclass that masks any limited songwriting (that is not particularly strong so far).

- Everything He Needs

First instincts is it reminds me of Sophia George. A low slung reggae number. Its got that Julien synth sound - is it really good enough for two tracks? Nah. It's just not very good. If she plays this when I see her live with a real band it will be a piss-break song. If she had 90 worse songs than this in her recording sessions than they must be dogshit.

- Happy Not Knowing

Slow groove again but more funk. I like so far. Like everything else apart from Now That I Found You there is no dynamic variation. within songs. 

- I'll Be Your Girl

Which leads me to this. Shift in mood. The Beat. A clever tune that pulls off being clever and good. Rhythmically interesting. What a CRJ album track should be but still no banger.

- Too Much

A perfect example of a track with one good idea. I didn't like it before but it's rather sweet and that bass sound is infinitely enjoyable. Definitely not a single though and no idea why CRJ Twitter likes it so much.  Will skip through in future but like it right now.

- The Sound

If this was on the Deluxe version it would be great but it not that great. One of the strongest vocal lines on the album but again it is all a bit pedestrian. No change in gear Nothing to make me smile uncontrollably.

- Automatically In Love

I lost my concentration through this. Probably okay.

- Feels Right

Nice and funky. Yeah but nah. This album is not great. It's fine; three stars. It's a bit too smooth and grown up. Where is my Cut To The Feeling? The tracks don't really go anywhere.

- Right Words Wrong Time

Yeah but nah. Same as above but instead of funky bass it's got Trap hats. This album is not great. It's fine; three stars. It's a bit too smooth and grown up. Where is my Cut To The Feeling? The tracks don't really go anywhere.

- Real Love

Come on. Give us a banger. Here we go. I have hope... nice compression, nice groove, best song... here we go. Yeah. Less is more here as 4/4 wins out. Needs a bit finish... yeah. It's no Cut To The Feeling on first listen but it is trying. Needs an ace video.

- For Sure

Nice but a better nice than the others. the 332 ragga beat gives it something the other tunes lack but it still fades to nowt.

- Party For One

The best/worst thing to say about this is in context it is one of the stronger tracks on the album. I loved this on first listen and it's "epic" production is still it's strength but it's not a great song. The video is ace though.

Summary

Label me underwhelmed. A "nice" album. Worth putting on in background but nowhere near as good as the Emotion outputs but like all CRJ worth revisiting. I like it more than the Solange album, it's as aesthetically average as the Janelle Monae album and the Lizzo record shits all over them all from great heights. 

P.s. Spotify automatically sent me to L.A. Hallucinations which randomly is a better track than anything on her by a mile.

P.p.s It has now presented me with Anna Wintour by Azelia Banks. Fuck me what a tune. She is fucking amazing.

purlieu

First spin I enjoyed it a lot. Definitely the laid back vibe makes it less immediately gripping, but almost every track had this huge, lush melodic sound that just ticked all the boxes for me. It's going to be an album to sink into rather than one that bashes you over the head with pop, and I'm looking forward to many future listens.

Annoyingly I picked up the standard edition in a rush, meaning I'll probably end up buying the deluxe with the last two tracks sometime down the line, like I did with Emotion (I then later bought the super-deluxe Target edition for a hefty price sometime later. This woman gets too much of my money).

Pauline Walnuts

alan nagsworth

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on May 18, 2019, 03:50:59 PM
https://thisiscraaaaaaaazy.bandcamp.com

Still not found the time to listen to the new one.

My pal (D.J. Detweiler) made this page. One of my remixes is on there (Brute Forsyth's Colon Gravy Remix).

hummingofevil

Ha ha. That's class. Will give whole thing a listen later.

purlieu

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 18, 2019, 04:26:49 PM
My pal (D.J. Detweiler) made this page. One of my remixes is on there (Brute Forsyth's Colon Gravy Remix).
I was just having a skip through this and really enjoyed that track. Obviously now I know it's you I hate it.

(Well done).

Just watched that Chatroulette video for the first time, what an absolutely joyous thing that is. Fucking huge grin on my face at every single second of it.

hummingofevil

Quote from: purlieu on May 18, 2019, 07:52:25 PM
I was just having a skip through this and really enjoyed that track. Obviously now I know it's you I hate it.

(Well done).

Just watched that Chatroulette video for the first time, what an absolutely joyous thing that is. Fucking huge grin on my face at every single second of it.

Yeah. I must have watched it literally hundreds of times and could probably describe 95% of people in it from memory. :)

rue the polywhirl

The first 5 tracks are pretty strong - No Drug Like Me is my favourite so far - and there are a couple of bangers towards the end - Party Of One works great as the closer. Opener Julien takes a little while to click. Too much blandiness in the middle of the album and could have done with 4 or so tracks being lopped off. Is the album cover meant be some confused homage to Christina Aguilera Stripped?

hummingofevil

I'm quite drunk and just destroyed a shed with the back end of a hammer. I got as far as track 8 on my expensive blutooths. I've had worse greatest half hours in my life.