Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:28:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Carly Rae Jepsen

Started by purlieu, October 31, 2018, 03:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummingofevil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfHtYSFlyYg

I'm warming to this record.

Edit: I've always tried to deny my CRJ love is looks-based but christ she is absolutley gorgeous in this video. Swoon-as-fuck. I'm seeing her live in 9 days.

madhair60

alan nagsworth

Yeah people seeing her live can go fuck themselves. Admittedly I will be celebrating my anniversary with my girlfriend in the northwestern hills of Italy drinking wine and doing loads of shagging but part of me is still very sad about missing CRJ.

madhair60

alan nagsworth

Not too late for you to book a flight to Genoa and get involved on this shagging, madders. Then afterwards you can sleep out on the terrace of our private Airbnb and listen to "Party For One".

madhair60

Top bangers from Dedicated:

- Want you in my room

I WANNA DO BAD THINGS TO YOU

- The Sound

THE SOUND SOUND SOUND SOUND AHHH

- Too Much

AM I BAD FOR YOU

- Party For One

YOU DON'T WANT MY LOVE IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT ME

- Now that I found you

DON'T GIVE IT UP DON'T SAY IT HURTS

alan nagsworth

purlieu

I'm not really getting into 'Julien', and it being the album opener is a very bad move. It starts off with a bit of a plod, which just isn't good.

'No Drug Like Me' - 'Now That I Found You' - 'Want You in My Room', though. What a run of songs.

madhair60

alan nagsworth

Ah yes. The ultimate party for one.

alan nagsworth

Just got done listening to this. Weelllll... it's certainly a top-heavy album. It takes some risks by having a lot more slow/stripped-back songs than EMOTION but they don't really pay off as much in the second half.

In terms of production it's as shimmering and crisp as ever and is definitely a rewarding listen on some decent headphones, but really I'd say only half the album is what I'd consider to be top tier Carly Rae. It's by no means a bad pop album but EMOTION is hella tough to follow since it is basically faultless in my opinion.

Somewhat disappointing, but ultimately I'm just happy to have more of her tunes to brighten up my life.

samadriel

What happened?  I can't see a thing.

hummingofevil

Quote from: samadriel on June 01, 2019, 04:55:25 AM
What happened?  I can't see a thing.

Just posted clip of the glitter bomb Cut To The Feeling finale i saw yesterday live.

BlodwynPig

Its a weird audience layout, like farmers trade show

hummingofevil

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 01, 2019, 12:33:48 PM
Its a weird audience layout, like farmers trade show

Yeah.iwaa only bothered about getting up front for CRJ and Stereolab later today. The massive stages have an annoying VIP pen at front for thousand people or so. Got as close as I could.

BlodwynPig

Not close enough to touch the hem of her robe

hummingofevil

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 01, 2019, 01:36:20 PM
Not close enough to touch the hem of her robe

But what a robe it was!

Anyway... new songs sound great live and any fears I had about her band not being able to nail the sound where total unfounded. It was cracking. Didn't explain earlier but for Call Me Maybe she basically went walking around crowd, high fiving a few dozen people. All whilst skipping through the dust wearing a full length on Spanish/Catalan colours see through gown letting individuals in the crowd sing the "call me maybe". Crying was done, smiles were had. She looked like she was loving every second of it.

hummingofevil

Ignore the crap sound quality it was perfect live. But here you go..;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbYoOy2pzQc

hummingofevil

Skip to 20:00 mins in for Call Me Maybe.

hummingofevil

I'm not joking. That recording sounds a bit off but live it was perfect.

hummingofevil

So here is the missing link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeAbhT7pRPE

Bieber on stage during Call Me Maybe. That video was full of love. I knew it.

I've just noticed that the Bieber Chat Roulette Call Me Maybe has 77 million views. So maybe me sharing it on a niche comedy website isn't the cool in-joke thing I thought it was :)

Oh fuck. They did it again.

https://youtu.be/oovZa4GVAx8

Feat: Ariana. Bieber really as much of a stan as the rest of us.

madhair60

Time for CarlyTalk

How's everyone finding Dedicated now that we've had time to RUMINATE on it? I would describe it as "excellent"

hummingofevil

Quote from: madhair60 on August 20, 2019, 11:45:52 AM
Time for CarlyTalk

How's everyone finding Dedicated now that we've had time to RUMINATE on it? I would describe it as "excellent"

Good bump.

My problem is not so much that I don't like the album it is that I literally never listen to it. I was lucky enough to see her live (I may have mentioned it) and that that live gig is professionally recorded and available on YouTube (I may have posted it) so if I am in the mood for some CRJ I just stick that on.

What I would say is that my initial reservations about individual songs are largely misplaced. Again, a lot of it comes from having the experience of them live but I absolutely love No Drug Like Me and Too Much and Want You In My Room because I've seen them in person. TBF I was really unsure about how good she would be but the combination of her voice, her band being spot on and the Primavera soundsystem being spot on (and being near the front and being surrounded by stan-ing gay men loving every second of it) made it quite the experience.

I drift off a bit for the last few songs on the album (as I do with most albums TBF - I still don't think I have finished Dongs of Sevotion after 20 years of listening to it) but yeah - in general - even better than we all initially thought. The bits we thought were great are great, the good bits are very good and the average bits are just fine (or in the case of Too Much I love it).

alan nagsworth

i was underwhelmed on the first listen and have not revisited it at all since then because i'm a fucking coward and i stick to what i know and love

deserves a revisit i know, but i've not been in a pop mood lately. if the album sounded like the arctic monkeys discography or the second sleepytime gorilla museum album i'd be on it like a hot flannel right about now but it don't so i ain't

Harpo Speaks

Anyone going to the Manchester show on Friday?

Hoping for a smattering of Emotion tracks amongst the Dedicated stuff, seems likely based on the last few sets.

Really looking forward to it.

hummingofevil

I am obviously. Can't wait. Support should be good too so get their early.

Looking through gay-Stan twitter and it seems like there is an ace triple header of CRJ/Homoelectric/Kim Petras over the weekend  so hopefully there will be a decent and crazy crowd. As I've said on here before I ended up in the sing a long section at Primavera and whilst, for most things I would hate that concept it just seems so right for CRJ.

The Primavera set is here. https://youtu.be/KbYoOy2pzQc My two take-always are is that the band  sounds way better live than these recordings do justice (somehow the EQ balance doesn't come over on YouTube clips but live it sounds a lot more like the recordings) and the Dedicated tracks don't feel out of place with her other stuff and seeing them live made me like them more. And she does Store live which i absolutely love.

non capisco

I'm going to the London show. Seeing as virtually all I've done all week is obsessively listen to 'Laughing Stock' by Talk Talk over and over again, like the right old moodychops I am, this should be quite the musical contrast!