Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:58:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Carly Rae Jepsen

Started by purlieu, October 31, 2018, 03:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Yeah I'm fuckin hyped for the Brixton show. I don't know how mental it's gonna be getting anywhere near the front of the crowd but my partner is deffo not as excited as I am (she's a fan but I'm a giddy bloody idiot and I've wanted to see CRJ for a while) so I don't think she's gonna be heading too far in at all.

madhair60

I'm going but I have a seated ticket as it's all I could get before the venue change

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: non capisco on February 06, 2020, 08:16:41 AM
I'm going to the London show. Seeing as virtually all I've done all week is obsessively listen to 'Laughing Stock' by Talk Talk over and over again, like the right old moodychops I am, this should be quite the musical contrast!

It might not be too much of a musical contrast if she opts to perform the likes of "Cry" a whole bunch of times over and over. Janie Jones pointed out to me a few months back how that track had a proper heavy Talk Talk vibe about it. Maybe not Laughing Stock era Talk Talk, all the same, but Talk Talk in a broad sort of sense nonetheless.

hummingofevil

In fun coincidence I spent part of my day as a dance teacher (supply is so much more fun than real teaching) where one of my "lessons" was facilitating 60 11 year old kids to develop their dance routines. The song we had to play on a loop for 30 mins so they could practice, practice, practice... Call Me Maybe. Fucking buzzing I was. :)

non capisco

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on February 06, 2020, 09:58:52 AM
It might not be too much of a musical contrast if she opts to perform the likes of "Cry" a whole bunch of times over and over. Janie Jones pointed out to me a few months back how that track had a proper heavy Talk Talk vibe about it. Maybe not Laughing Stock era Talk Talk, all the same, but Talk Talk in a broad sort of sense nonetheless.

Ha, right enough! Good spot, Janie.

madhair60

New single, "Let's Be Friends". I can see one line in particular getting huge cheers.

hummingofevil

Fucking brilliant. 90 mins dead including encore. Set basically the Primavera one with extra songs. Band sounded shit hot, I liked the Victoria Warehouse and we got 12 rows from front.

So many highlights but to me I thought Fever and Cry really stood out as being just utterly brilliant songs. Can I go again?

Oh and her outfit was again utterly bizarre and magnificent. The trackytopswimmsuitharleyquinnleggingswithaaymetrictailsjacket.

God I love her. The stans were again out in force and once again only served to make the whole thing feel intense and lovely.

Harpo Speaks

Fucking amazing, loved every minute of it.

hummingofevil

It is truely remarkable that she released EMOTION and then the deluxe version with 20 songs and THEN Emotion Side B with tracks from same sessions (that is her best work in my opinion) and THEN only put Cut To The Feeling our as a one off single track. She reckons she writes about a 100 songs for every record but the consistency of those 35 songs or so is so high. 35 awesome songs for one album.

Edit: 29. Just counted.

hummingofevil

For those of you who loved Georgia as much as I did this is her single she was pushing. It's really rather good.

https://youtu.be/vFnnxmb7Z9g

alan nagsworth

Was it difficult getting near the front? Lie how rabid was the crowd? I will be rabid.

Pauline Walnuts

Apparently, Hannah Diamond is supporting her at the German show.

hummingofevil

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 08, 2020, 07:58:11 AM
Was it difficult getting near the front? Lie how rabid was the crowd? I will be rabid.

There was your typical group of a couple of hundred people who just got there at doors, stood on barrier and didn't move. We got our spot as soon as we got in and didn't move. It was properly packed by end but there wasn't any dickhead behaviour of people surging to front or owt! In summary, get there early, don't booze/piss and get as close as you can. It's worth it. :)

Ted_Dibiase

Went last night and had a cracking view from the balcony. Wasn't a fan of the new one when I listened to it on YouTube but live it sounded really good. Solid setlist as well, would've liked I'll be your girl but otherwise no complaints.

djtrees

I went last night and it was great. It made me grin like a loon all the way through, apart from a couple of slowies in the middle. But truly wonderful. I went with my girlfriend, who only knew a few songs and she was really impressed by the whole thing. Good stuff Jepsen. (apart from not playing Your Type)

non capisco

Aw man, that was so much fun.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: hummingofevil on February 08, 2020, 12:37:52 PM
We got our spot as soon as we got in and didn't move. It was properly packed by end but there wasn't any dickhead behaviour of people surging to front or owt! In summary, get there early, don't booze/piss and get as close as you can. It's worth it. :)

Pretty much what me and my sister did, straight over to the contactless bar to grab a drink and then just found a place and stuck to it. A lot of standing for my weary legs, but would do it again without hesitation. It's made me revisit Dedication as well, Real Love was in my head this morning.

To be honest I haven't really looked into much of the pre-Emotion stuff yet, are there any gems I might have slept on there?

hummingofevil

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on February 08, 2020, 11:28:41 PM
To be honest I haven't really looked into much of the pre-Emotion stuff yet, are there any gems I might have slept on there?

Kiss is great. I kinda loathe Good Time due to the Owl City guy singing on it but it's mainly upbeat party dance-pop. Just listen to it through from start... dare you not to smile. :)

One other song you might have missed is this. Supernatural by Danny L Harle. It is basically a CRJ song under a different name. He finished his set with it at Primavera. I would fucking love to see her do it live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrFcxR4Y6C0

madhair60

That was marvellous. She and the band sounded absolutely ace, top form. And while Let's Be Friends had grown on me, it kicked ass live.

alan nagsworth

Yeeee that was dope as hell. Slightly disappointed that she only wore one less than dazzling black outfit for the whole show (I follow her insta and I'm always wowed by what she wears), but the performance was electric. Band having a great time, Carly skipping back and forth joyously for pretty much every tune, just a really wonderful energy for the whole thing. It was tight, the show never let up for a second and every song was a hit rolling effortlessly from one to the next. Very well structured and performed from start to finish.

"Dedicated" has grown on me a lot since its release and I thoroughly enjoyed the tracks they chose to play. Youse are right about "Cry" as well; I do love that song despite its very simple verses but it properly comes alive on stage. Her expression was quite fraught with emotion when she sang it, I was fuckin shook. Closing with "Cut To The Feeling" was bloody tremendous, too. I started to need a piss through the second half of the set so I tried my best to not dance myself into too much of a bladder cramp but I went apeshit for that. The huge confetti explosion, the whole venue bouncing elated together, what a high point to end on!

I'm so pleased I finally got to see her, and despite rocking up at about 8:20 we still managed to snake our way right down (a skill I'm told I am particularly proficient at), landing a nice spot fairly close to the front with a good view for most of it. I obviously loved it and was beaming throughout. Chuffed to bits.

hummingofevil

One more post before real life kicks in again. The other thing that I have realised today is quite how many songs of her's that I love that I haven't seen her do live. She could literally do an alternative 15 song set of stuff that I absolutely love. I will never be truely happy until I have seen Warm Blood, LA Hallucinations, Higher and more live. Come back soon. :)

Harpo Speaks

Would love to see Higher live, that's the song that pulled me in in the first place (via a Spotify playlist that one alan nagsworth linked here if I recall correctly, forever in your debt nags). Warm Blood is a good shout, Favourite Colour would be another one for me. Still buzzing off Friday though, what a gig.

Enjoyed Georgia as the support, been bumping Never Let You Go and About Work The Dance floor today, alongside some CRJ.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on February 09, 2020, 09:23:15 PM
Would love to see Higher live, that's the song that pulled me in in the first place (via a Spotify playlist that one alan nagsworth linked here if I recall correctly, forever in your debt nags)

Aw, you're very welcome! :)

I do love "Higher". To be honest it's more the production of the thing that I love, the intro with that off-beat kick/cymbal hit and the synth atmospherics, it's just instantly banging. It would be a serious jumper if she performed it, though.

"LA Hallucinations" is probably among my least favourite tunes off "EMOTION". If it was left off the album I'd probably think it to be damn near perfect. It's the bridge vocals about "Buzzfeed buzzards and TMZ crows", I just find it a bit too corny and I think that sort of pop culture jibe will see the song not ageing very well, whereas most of the rest of the album has a much more timeless pop quality to it. It's still not a bad song though..!

hummingofevil

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 09, 2020, 10:23:10 PM
Aw, you're very welcome! :)

I do love "Higher". To be honest it's more the production of the thing that I love, the intro with that off-beat kick/cymbal hit and the synth atmospherics, it's just instantly banging. It would be a serious jumper if she performed it, though.

"LA Hallucinations" is probably among my least favourite tunes off "EMOTION". If it was left off the album I'd probably think it to be damn near perfect. It's the bridge vocals about "Buzzfeed buzzards and TMZ crows", I just find it a bit too corny and I think that sort of pop culture jibe will see the song not ageing very well, whereas most of the rest of the album has a much more timeless pop quality to it. It's still not a bad song though..!

TBF I am not really a lyrics man so never even noticed - and am always amazed when I'm at gigs where everyone knows all the words to every song - my brain just doesn't work in tha way. I can't remember fuck all! (I was stood next to this beautiful couple on Friday were one of them was at least a foot-taller than the other and little stan sang along to every word on the verge of tears in his quiet little voice whilst big stan hugged him thoughout - so fucking sweet).

Like you I love the production and always like LA Hallucinations for that reason. :)

non capisco

Quote from: non capisco on February 08, 2020, 11:11:23 PM
Aw man, that was so much fun.

I think Carly Rae was probably the last gig I went to. Honestly feels like a year or more ago.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 20, 2020, 08:40:18 PM
https://twitter.com/carlyraejepsen/status/1263191554375606272?s=21

Dedicated Side B on its way. Fuck yeah!

Can't wait. "Dedicated" really grew on me a lot after my initial disappointment, it's a great album. If "EMOTION" was a 10 (which it practically is) then "Dedicated" would be an 8.

Quote from: non capisco on May 20, 2020, 09:11:18 PM
I think Carly Rae was probably the last gig I went to. Honestly feels like a year or more ago.

The last gig I went to was Russian post-punk synth-pop turkeys Molchat Doma at the Scala and it was fucking shite. We left about 6 songs into the set. Can't believe that's the last lingering memory of live music I've been lumped with!

madhair60

madhair60

Oh dear, three tracks in and it's a bit boring.

rue the polywhirl

Not listened to any tracks yet but I'm seriously hoping for Dedicated Side B Phase 2: With Arms Wide Open.