Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:53:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley - Episode Two

Started by TJ, February 18, 2005, 03:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayer

Claire Ashcroft passive?

No, still a vapid, annoying little slut bitch. No-one cares about your rubbish film, because it's rubbish, and would only provide twisted laughs for the twisted.

Why does she want Dan to humilate himself as penance? She gains nothing, the absurd video charge from when he was a kid (?) won't get paid off, he won't get her camera back. She's as cruel as she is annoying and petty.

I really liked Jonathan Yeah?.

I pretty much *shrugged* at everything else. Not bad, not good either though.

EDIT: for one terrible moment I thought Dan was going to get "into" preaching, as he did cock-muff-bumhole, but they already had the Dan-becoming-an-idiot bit with the Tramp Games thing already I suppose.

Darrell

So, I am right here, aren't I? Dan wasn't the preacherman, but they thought he was?

Help?

Dr David V

Jim Jarmusch

I'm feeling most unwell but still enjoyed that episode, look forward to the repeat.

frickasay

You figured it out yet ?

That's right - he's telling US all ( me included) that WE ARE THE MORONS.

and 'were lovin it'

Cragside

I wonder whether I would've laughed at the tramp racing if www.bumfights.com didn't already exist

Mister Six

Quote from: "DonkeyRhubarb"
Quote from: "Mister Six"

And would a plot be too much to ask of them? One episode of SPACED seems to contain five times more plot than two episodes of Nathan Barley.

Yay! The new stock criticism. 'One episode of Rod Hulls Pink Windmill has 10 times more plot than 5 episodes of Nathan Barley!'.

Have I started a trend? Do I get to be the Nathan Barley now?

It's true, though. Spaced managed a- b- and c- plots. Sometimes a d- plot too. This barely managed one.

Divnee Gan

The the first one was based on the street and in the office, then the highlights of this one were in the club. What location is going to be the focus of the third one? a fucken zoo? It's not looking promising even though i preferred  tonights episode.

Deadman97

True, that half-hour vanished in an instant. Had a massive "what-the-fuck" factor. I'm not laughing, I'm gazing at a train-wreck, but it's a train-wreck that I'm really loving to watch unfold. What are everyone's predictions about where this is going plot-wise? Noticed a long-then-short continuity error in the spliff Barley was smoking in the beginning. I want to stab Noel Fielding in the eye, I just hate his fucking face. Noticed a poster in the background of the SugaRape office bearing an old Morrisism ("Happy Now?"). Loved him going insane gambling on t'internet. I just love Ashcroft's character, confused, ineffectual fuckhead that he is. "Like 9/11 for the mind" made laugh out loud. My faith is still holding. It can get as abstract as it wants from here, I'm in and that's all there is to it.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Didn't laugh once I'm afraid. I am going to watch the full series in the hope that it will get better, I would be surprised if we had a full Chris Morris series without a couple of proper laughs but still, it doesn't look that promising. What is he going to do next do you think, or should we maybe start another thread about that?

keir

I noticed a little dig at Joel Veitch there with the Einstein A Go  Go video

Morrisfan82

Well that was fucking shite again.

My main issues:

1) There is only one joke in the entire series. Thesepeopleareidiotslookatthem. There it is. It wasn't funny last week and it's taken on the form of a rash this week.

2) It's a fucking namby-pamby piss-coloured excuse for satire. Sorry, but if a room full of people essentially going 'Duhhhh!!!1' is what passes for cutting social commentary then why the fuck are you bothering.

3) It's just embarrassing. It's like watching two old men sat round trying to be on the button and just failing. The Barley rapping thing, I mean, come the fuck on.

I really am wondering why I'm bothering wasting a tape on this now. Absolute dirge, and believe me when I say I take no pleasure in evaluating it as such.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go and do something to try and feel less hollow.

Mister Six

Quote from: "Divnee Gan"The the first one was based on the street and in the office, then the highlights of this one were in the club. What location is going to be the focus of the third one? a fucken zoo?

The power of The Boosh grows stronger with each episode.

clarkycat

Quote from: "Cragside"I wonder whether I would've laughed at the tramp racing if www.bumfights.com didn't already exist

Yeah, that was a pretty obvious dig at bumfights, not particularly amusing either i didn't think. It's weird how morris & brooker have identified all these little things, but somehow not managed to turn them into anything amusing.

Bert Thung

Compere the Noel Fielding joke tonight  with Oozy Lover, and I think you'll see what the problem is with this show.

And if you were asked who are the most Nathan Barley-ish people in comedy at the moment, wouldn't The Mighty Boosh come top of the list?

Deadman97

Quote from: "clarkycat"Yeah, that was a pretty obvious dig at bumfights

The tramp-pulling-teeth thing actually happened in Bumfights, fucking horrid it was too.

Bungus

Well i enjoyed the first episode and this one is better than that.. I think the problem here is that its not a jokey format, i dont think it pretends to be.. Its a good satirical black comedy and black Comedies dont really tend to go for belly laughs.

I think it would be great if people started to discuss it for what it is (I am Awaiting an "its utter shite" type remark ).

However my point is that  we know some people like it an some people dont. Done and dusted, its been said.  so there should be no need to keep repeating a stuck record.

I am enjoying it for its qualities as an art-house project. Its a bit like david lynch movie (im a big fan incedently) some people love it and some do not. But the best thing about this kind of work is it is fun to analyse its content and ponder...

Aww forgive my inane ramble... i have been up since 10am yesterday morning...

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

There were a couple of amusing scenes but absolutely no story and there's precious little character development.  The tramp stuff smacked of a duff Brass Eye story.  

I really, really don't know what that was all about!

no_offenc

That other Boosh twat with his music.....the music did my head in.  I liked that.  Fair bit better than last week's one.  Indeed.

Labian Quest

I liked it as a drama, I thought the DJ gu was funny too ("'help' music" "9 cups of coffee") it looked like the editor was setting him up for something as well.

Quote from: "massive_bereavement""A 9/11 of the mind" - best line so far. Claire Keelan bores me more and more.

She seems like such a pointless character. It's pretty obvious she is going to end up sexing Nathan too.

Well, maybe.

I am quite attracted to her though, so I hope Zoe, Sam and Chrissy don't kill her off. There'll be even less of a reason to watch it then...

: )

Deadman97

Aaaah yeah, the "help music" was funny in spite of Fielding.

Divnee Gan

Quote from: "clarkycat"
Yeah, that was a pretty obvious dig at bumfights, not particularly amusing either i didn't think. It's weird how morris & brooker have identified all these little things, but somehow not managed to turn them into anything amusing.

couldn't put it better. where is the fucking absurd creativity that makes you laugh and think: fuck I wish I'd thought of that.

InfiniteFury

Can I just ask a question actually re: the other Boosh twat.
Who the fuck is that person and how does he fit into the programme/characters? Fair enough I didn't have my eye on the ball completely for this episode but what was the point of him? Who is he and why is he living there?
If I've missed something, fair enough, but if I didn't then it's just bad.

Deadman97

Quote from: "clarkycat"]It's weird how morris & brooker have identified all these little things, but somehow not managed to turn them into anything amusing.

What, turning "Bumfights" into an online gambling site from Russia? I was amused.

the ruffian on the stair

No story, no jokes, no laughs, and no fucking way I'm watching that again! It's nothing more than According To Bex for the drugsmart. What a pile of poo! This is six episode suicide note.

weapon

I reckon Nathan Barley is much more laugh out loud funny than Jam was. Its not that dark, but I remember talking to my mate about episode 1, and we agreed that it wasn't as intense and as fucked-up as we were hoping/wanting it to be. Episode 2 seems to be a step towards that...

Mister Six

Quote from: "InfiniteFury"Can I just ask a question actually re: the other Boosh twat.
Who the fuck is that person and how does he fit into the programme/characters? Fair enough I didn't have my eye on the ball completely for this episode but what was the point of him? Who is he and why is he living there?

It did just leap out of nowhere. I think he's supposed to be Claire's and Dan's flatmate.

I think. But it didn't occur to me until I saw this episode that they are supposed to be sharing a flat. Seriously wonky structure, that.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: "InfiniteFury"Can I just ask a question actually re: the other Boosh twat.

EXACTLY! He just appeared from out of nowhere! Not even a "This is my mate ..." scene! I'm so confused