Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:47:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

MediEvil (2019)

Started by Golden E. Pump, October 31, 2018, 10:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golden E. Pump

What was supposed to be a 4K remaster is now a full-blown remake. Absolutely adored the original so I'm incredibly excited by this news!

The trailer looks great.

Anyone else a fan of the original? I enjoyed the sequel as well, for what it's worth.

Z

Wasn't there a PSP sequel too?

I remember having a timed demo of the first game and absolutely blasting through it to see how much of the game was in it. Think I actually got to the end of the demo once?

madhair60

I love how it looks like they've left it entirely intact, shite combat and all.

Clownbaby

WHAT WHAT WHAT

YES.

HELLO.

I loved the first one. Sir Dan has a nice walk cycle. Thing is, The original looked nice anyway and aged well visually so I don't think it really needed to be remastered

biggytitbo

Isn't there a Nightmare Creatures remake coming soon too?

Lemming

Loved the original, down for this. As tempting as it is to bitch about the sheer volume of remakes we get these days instead of original stuff, I actually ended up really liking the Crash Bandicoot remakes after expecting to hate them and am looking forward to the Spyro remakes, and now this.

Thursday

I liked the original, but the combat and general movement was incredibly wonky even at the time and it doesn't really look like they've done anything to change it. Really think this is going to feel incredibly dated in a way that the Crash remakes won't because they had simpler and tighter mechanics. (Although I wasn't interested in those remakes either, myself)

I'd have been interested in a proper reinterpretation, but not convinced by this from that trailer.

Thomas

I never had the original, but I did have MediEvil 2. Despite apparent received critical opinion, I loved it, especially as I was in awe of distant London at the time.

GTA: London afforded me sightseeing, but MediEvil 2 provided something much more interesting, a genuinely eerie and creepy incarnation of that favoured city, with a wonderful off-kilter soundtrack. Daniel Fortseque. Great character, great atmosphere. The only 'Sir' I recognise.

If I had a games console I would probably buy this new game, and that cowboy one, and the various Grand Theft Autos they have now. I wouldn't buy any Spyro remakes because the original polygonal Spyro is the only one I can fathom. After 3 they're shameless imposters.

hedgehog90

I'd totally forgotten about this game until now. I really wanted it at the time, played my OPSM demo of it repeatedly, but never got round to buying it.
Thanks for reminding me, now I can finally fulfill my childhood dream for free - Emuparadise here I come!

Clownbaby

Quote from: Thomas on November 01, 2018, 06:33:24 PM
I wouldn't buy any Spyro remakes because the original polygonal Spyro is the only one I can fathom. After 3 they're shameless imposters.

That's how I feel about my boy Crash Bandicoot. I never felt right about the future incarnations or how realistically furry and soft the baddies in the remade original Crash on PS4 looked. Took some of the twitchy charm away I think. Those characters were make to be pointy.

Avril Lavigne

The original was one of my favourite Playstation games.  It had such a great spooky-fun Halloween atmosphere that very few games have captured since.  I had no idea til recently that it was inspired by Nightmare Before Christmas but now I can see that's painfully obvious.  Just a shame this is a remake and not a sequel as I imagine a completely new entry to the series would have benefitted from not having to conform to 20-year-old level designs.

biggytitbo

Quote from: hedgehog90 on November 01, 2018, 06:43:17 PM
I'd totally forgotten about this game until now. I really wanted it at the time, played my OPSM demo of it repeatedly, but never got round to buying it.

Ditto, had the demo but don't think I ever played the full game. Fun enough game, but Maximo on the PS2 was better.

Thursday

Quote from: Z on November 01, 2018, 01:24:43 AM
Wasn't there a PSP sequel too?

I remember having a timed demo of the first game and absolutely blasting through it to see how much of the game was in it. Think I actually got to the end of the demo once?

Timed demo's were a weird thing, they'd give you a surprisingly generous chunk of game, but to get to the end of it you had to really race through it.

Golden E. Pump

I played the shit out of the original. Some great levels and character design - the stained-glass demon in the mausoleum was cool as fuck. The locations were pretty varied as well from the creepy graveyards to the haunted towns with huge hedge mazes, vast pumpkin fields and big castles. There was an insane asylum as well that I remember being really difficult. The combat was clunky but which PS1 game can really boast great combat? Even MGS1 plays like a bastard now.

Clownbaby

What I would like to see them do is remake Tomb Raider II and III and The Last revelation so that they've got controls that aren't depressingly fussy. Some people say that's part of the challenge, I disagree.  You should barely have to think about the controls. They were like fuckin QWOP

biggytitbo

I'd take a remake of the other original Tomb Raider games in the style of Anniversary.

Clownbaby

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 02, 2018, 10:10:01 AM
I'd take a remake of the other original Tomb Raider games in the style of Anniversary.

I would love that. It would be like having 3 new Tomb Raider games for me cause I barely got anywhere with II, III and Last Revelation cause of the controls

hedgehog90

Quote from: Clownbaby on November 02, 2018, 10:02:51 AM
What I would like to see them do is remake Tomb Raider II and III and The Last revelation so that they've got controls that aren't depressingly fussy.

I love the controls of the old Tomb Raiders.
My advice would be to think of ledges, slopes and jumping more like isometric puzzles, because that's what they are. Fluidity of movement would be a hindrance in these games
Just remember this mantra: 'everything are box'

A recent playthrough reminded me Tomb Raider 3 has some terrible level design, I couldn't get through it.
But Tomb Raider 2 still remains one of my favourite games of all time. The level design is varied and the gameplay is consistent and thrilling.
But most of all its got insane amounts of atmosphere that I haven't experienced anywhere else. The underwater levels in particular, feel so cold, isolated and bleak, they are truly unique in gaming.

Golden E. Pump

Tomb Raider 2 was great. Truth be told, I didn't enjoy Anniversary all that much; the atmosphere was missing something. The vast, eerie chambers of the original had been shrunken down and all the wonder taken out of it.

Tomb Raider 3 was a fucking bastard of a game. Insta-death everywhere. Never finished that one. For me the first two were never repeated, although I do love Tomb Raider (2013) and Rise of the Tomb Raider. Not played Shadow yet. They are great games, although they're very different to the original series.

Clownbaby

Quote from: hedgehog90 on November 02, 2018, 10:39:09 AM
I love the controls of the old Tomb Raiders.
My advice would be to think of ledges, slopes and jumping more like isometric puzzles, because that's what they are. Fluidity of movement would be a hindrance in these games
Just remember this mantra: 'everything are box'

A recent playthrough reminded me Tomb Raider 3 has some terrible level design, I couldn't get through it.
But Tomb Raider 2 still remains one of my favourite games of all time. The level design is varied and the gameplay is consistent and thrilling.
But most of all its got insane amounts of atmosphere that I haven't experienced anywhere else. The underwater levels in particular, feel so cold, isolated and bleak, they are truly unique in gaming.

Each to their own. I just thought they were a pain int he arse and hindered my enjoyment of the atmosphere.

Phil_A

I actually think TR2 is where the series starts to fall down, the levels are far too long, have too many enemies and it just becomes a chore to play. The only way I could make it playable from a modern perspective was to hack a save file to make Lara immune to bullets, and I still got bored and gave up long before the end.

TR3 is just a cunt of a game.

biggytitbo

Anniversary, imo, is the best Tomb Raider game out of the entire series including the new ones. Its got the atmosphere of the old ones but controls that work properly. I love the old ones as much as the next man but they're next to unplayable these days. A nice, even fairly modest update to them would be very welcome.

Lemming

TR2 is my favourite TR game (and one of my favourite games of all time) but the human enemy spam can fuck off. Especially in the wreck of the Maria Doria - the ship has a genuinely creepy, eerie, desolate and abandoned feel, and then it's ruined when 5 dickheads with shotguns swoosh round the corner and blast your face off.

The movement system of the new TR games (from Legend onwards) really doesn't chime with me. It just feels like you're vaguely weightless and leaping around getting magnetically stuck to heavily signposted ledges.

At the same time, I acknowledge that a hypothetical remake obviously couldn't use the original PS1 control/movement system in this day and age. I wonder if there's some kind of compromise between the two - remove the tank controls and make movement feel more fluid, but keep the ability to climb onto everything rather than just clearly-marked ledges like in the new ones, and maybe bring back the "press action to grab" thing, so you have to plan and execute jumps in advance rather than having Lara automatically stick to the nearest ledge.

Glebe

Nice! Medievil and it's follow up are two of my fave games ever. Pity they never followed up the little teaser at the end of the second one... oh yeah, only found out a little while ago that Paul 'Avon from Blake's 7' voiced Zarok!

biggytitbo

Another piece of of ps1 trivia, Stuart Copeland from the police did the music for spyro the dragon. Which also has a remake out, are ps1 remakes just fashionable right now or is it that there are loads of nostalgic ps1 kids working in the industry?

hedgehog90

And Mark Mothersbaugh (from Devo) did the music for the first four Crash Bandicoot games.

I like the freewheeling nature of this thread, it's all over the place.

Remember Gex? Who else remembers Gex? The TV junkie 3D gecko voiced by Dana Gould (US comedian),  Danny John-Jules (Strictly contestant) and Leslie Phillips (still not dead).

They were a bit shit weren't they?

saltysnacks

Games were better back then weren't they?

hedgehog90

biggytitbo

I loved Enter the Gecko with the Leslie Phillips quips.

Thursday