Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:19:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

4K Telly Discussion

Started by The Boston Crab, October 31, 2018, 10:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
It seems that stuff stands out more from the background, like objects have their own 3D space, even on a 2D plane. I wonder what the input lag was like on my old telly, in fact, because SF3 is now basically like playing on an arcade cabinet.

greenman

Still holding off replacing by plasma screen until OLED's come down in price.

MojoJojo

I've been reading around a bit and the impression I get is that OLED isn't all that. Yes the blacks are good but they aren't as bright. If you have the money and are planning to watch in a well lit room you're probably better off with a high end LCD than OLED.

QDRPHNC

What do you think of RDR2, TBC? I'm not playing it as often as other people here, but I'm still finding myself awestruck by even the simplest things. The dynamic shadows from a pair of swinging oil lamps, the sheer level of detail at the Mayor's party. St. Dennis, at night in the fog, is one of the most wonderful things I've ever seen in the video game.

Thinking of picking up the new Forza based on what you've said above.

Also, the original RDR is on sale in the Microsoft store, picked it up for $10.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: greenman on November 27, 2018, 02:40:33 PM

The money you'll save on electricity will soon pay for the difference - OLEDs (and LCDs) use a shit load less than plasmas.  In fact plasmas typically use a lot more than the end-of-line CRT sets did.

Quote from: MojoJojo on November 27, 2018, 03:02:36 PM
I've been reading around a bit and the impression I get is that OLED isn't all that. Yes the blacks are good but they aren't as bright. If you have the money and are planning to watch in a well lit room you're probably better off with a high end LCD than OLED.

All depends - as I said early on in the thread, both have their advantages over the other, and both have different disadvantages.  You need to weigh up the pros and cons of both and then decide which one best suits your wants, needs and viewing environment and habits.  Alternatively wait a bit for microLED to see if that really is the best of both worlds as some are claiming.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 27, 2018, 03:26:19 PM
What do you think of RDR2, TBC? I'm not playing it as often as other people here, but I'm still finding myself awestruck by even the simplest things. The dynamic shadows from a pair of swinging oil lamps, the sheer level of detail at the Mayor's party. St. Dennis, at night in the fog, is one of the most wonderful things I've ever seen in the video game.

Thinking of picking up the new Forza based on what you've said above.

Also, the original RDR is on sale in the Microsoft store, picked it up for $10.

I've also largely dropped RDR2 but I do fire it up every so often because it looks stunning. Or, rather, it has moments which I've never seen in any other game. I don't know if it's the best looking game I've ever seen because AC Odyssey and Horizon Zero Dawn are probably more beautiful and consistently visually arresting as open worlds, but none looks quite as jaw dropping at their very peak.

Funnily enough, I would say that Forza Horizon 4 (and Forza Motorsport 7) are the best looking games I've ever seen, both in moment to moment consistency and for the gobsmacking surprises which make you do a double take or call your wife or screenshot it for your mate or your eleven followers.

Benevolent Despot

Quote from: greenman on November 27, 2018, 02:40:33 PM

Plasma still has better motion resolution than any OLED or LCD, even with all the new processing tech, so be prepared for a little more smear in your picture. I tried to buy a second-hand one last year but the screen got smashed in carriage and I didn't read the T&Cs which state TVs are not covered for damage :(

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 27, 2018, 06:09:24 PM
The money you'll save on electricity will soon pay for the difference - OLEDs (and LCDs) use a shit load less than plasmas.  In fact plasmas typically use a lot more than the end-of-line CRT sets did.

I think that must be the reason why Plasmas went extinct. Such a waste that saving a few £s on electricity confined a superior technology to the bin.

Shit Good Nose

Electricity consumption was the least of plasma's problems.  What killed it was the cost of making them, the weight (and, by association, the subsequent limit in screen size), and the fact that plasma technology had got about as far as it reasonably could.  Plasma sets remained expensive for pretty much their entire existence, whilst OLEDs and LCDs have come down significantly in price whilst the technology continues to improve. 

I know for a long time plasma had unrivaled picture quality, contrast, motion handling and vividness, but the LCDs and now the OLEDs have easily caught up to the point where the flagship sets are starting to far eclipse the best plasmas at a fraction of the cost, and with a better shelf life.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: MojoJojo on November 27, 2018, 03:02:36 PM

I see poor brightness mentioned a lot regarding OLEDS, but I wouldn't want mine to be any brighter. In HDR content whites are certainly white and sometimes uncomfortably bright, for example if there's a sudden bright light or sunny shot I can almost feel my retinas burning as it is.

No visibility issues in my living room with either curtains open or lights on, I dread to think how much ambient light it must take to make viewing this thing difficult.

Mr_Simnock

QuoteI've been reading around a bit and the impression I get is that OLED isn't all that

There is a reason they win TV shootouts every time against LCD's. If you like films/TV then they are better than any LCD, no getting away from that. I can understand someone getting an LCD for mainly playing games on as although the risk of burn in on an OLED is low it is there (there are by the way lots of OLED owners who play lots of games on their TVs with no issues).

QuoteI think that must be the reason why Plasmas went extinct. Such a waste that saving a few £s on electricity confined a superior technology to the bin.

Plasma has gone because it's very difficult to make them 4k (if not impossible), they are bulky and rather inefficient, they are prone to image retention and burn in more than LCD and OLED, they are dim, they can't show the range of colours that modern TVs can. They are anything but 'superior' tech and the last models from Panasonic like the P50VT65 and the Panasonic Kuro's too had taken the tech as far as it could go. As has been mentioned they are still considered good for motion but in all other regards OLED has it beat easily.
I own an LG B7 OLED and I find it a fantastic TV. When I first got it I had to fiddle with the motion handling, watching some blurays the judder wasn't good on panning shots etc at all, but that's sorted now and I find motion very smooth now.

A week later, I've actually calibrated the thing properly for the One X, PS4 Pro and Switch. Each of the consoles has somewhat different settings, especially the Switch, but fortunately the telly remembers for each source. Weirdly, it also seems to remember the difference between dashboard setting and in-game setting on the XB. I was blown away by Forza Horizon, Horizon Zero Dawn and AC Odyssey right out of the box but having actually applied the correct settings, I really am so impressed by how good this looks. I heard it's not as good at night because it can't do dimming like an OLED, obviously, but it's absolutely stunning. I'm pretty self-aware about my tendencies towards over-excitement and the usual buyer's delusion and I've questioned a number of times what exactly I'd be buying and why. Is it just tarting up some average games to extend the novelty honeymoon period? Easily the most significant gaming related upgrade I've ever bought. Even the jump to the One X which is genuinely impressive is nowhere near the difference made by 4K HDR. My options were pretty limited because of how much I play on the Switch but the game mode makes a world of difference. I turned it off before to play some Street Fighter and Psyvariar and Rocket League and you can almost count how laggy it would be otherwise, and it's still more responsive than the competition. It's now dropped below 700 and will probably be cheaper again in January, so I can massively recommend the Samsung NU8000.