Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:14:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Shivering Truth - PFFR's new animated show

Started by chveik, November 01, 2018, 01:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

pemieres december 9th!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crp44WINZOo

I saw the pilot when it came out but I can't remember on which site.

New Jack

Small Man Big Horse

I love PFFR in general and the pilot so I'm really looking forward to this, should be fascinating stuff.

madhair60

Brundle-Fly

That looks right up my intestinal tract!  A Yummy Fur comic vibe about that trailer with a bit of Funky Forest (2005) thrown in.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 01, 2018, 06:59:35 PM
That looks right up my intestinal tract!  A Yummy Fur comic vibe about that trailer with a bit of Funky Forest (2005) thrown in.

You just referenced two of my favourite things, especially Ed The Happy Clown.  Guess I'm going to have to watch and really enjoy this now.  Fuck!

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 01, 2018, 08:46:23 PM
You just referenced two of my favourite things, especially Ed The Happy Clown.  Guess I'm going to have to watch and really enjoy this now.  Fuck!

The cold dead touch of Robert Morgan too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei6vF7U-4b0

Sin Agog

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 01, 2018, 08:53:27 PM
The cold dead touch of Robert Morgan too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei6vF7U-4b0

Was happy to see (though far too late to join in) that Bobby Yeah made it to (spam)'s Halloween playlist yesterday.

NoSleep

Whoo hoo. I'm glad that this has arrived sooner than later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSDYMP_1ogM

A full episode of The Shivering Truth that's not the already released pilot has popped up unlisted on YouTube and it's wonderful.

Replies From View

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Master Cylinder on November 14, 2018, 01:48:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSDYMP_1ogM

A full episode of The Shivering Truth that's not the already released pilot has popped up unlisted on YouTube and it's wonderful.

Taken down. PFFT!

Penfold

It's odd that it was taken down as it was uploaded to the Adult Swim channel five days ago.

If they didn't want people to see it they shouldn't have uploaded it.

Small Man Big Horse

I downloaded it and can upload it to a file locker if anyone wants it.

chveik

Small Man Big Horse

I've just sent you both the link now, and if anyone else wants it just pm me.

alan nagsworth

Me too please! The tracker I grabbed wasn't finding any seeds

NoSleep

Are those your attempts at pms?

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 15, 2018, 12:01:28 AM
I've just sent you both the link now, and if anyone else wants it just pm me.

Small Man Big Horse

NoSleep

I was talking to alan and brat and reminding them what you had requested.

Small Man Big Horse

Ah, now I'm with you. And I allowed it this once, but if anyone else does it I'll beat them severely.

Brundle-Fly

kyema

Thanks for sharing this. (And thanks for the link, Horse.) I don't know much about PFFR but the Shivering Truth looks appealingly weird. It makes me wonder what Jam could have been like with stop-motion animation.

Also, I hadn't seen Deloused before. Pure nightmare fuel.

Retinend

Sad that this has garnered no discussion. This is perhaps the most accessible thing PFFR have ever done. The jokes are relentless. The flow of ideas is powered by a kind of "circular" schizophrenic imagination: a bra snapping leads to a hunt for the bra snapper with a parade of suspects each snapping the bra; the investigative bra snapping leads to a swelling that can only be removed by slicing it into salami, revealing the true culprit: the lunch lady, who had "done it all for the meat!"; a man opens a suicide hotline; a caller tells how he rescued two girls by an attempted hanging gone wrong, and then landed on, and killed, their escaped kidnapper by another suicide attempt, and through saving the girls found meaning in his life; the fact that he is not in danger of suicide anymore frustrates the amateur suicide hotline operator, who tells the man a story about a suicidal man whose refusal to commit suicide left the public first angry, then indifferent, and in telling the man that "nobody cares", triggers him to commit suicide. As gruesome as these ideas are, they are presented with a whimsical and childlike animation that is full of color and light. I think that it's a recipe for massive success if they can meet this level of quality in the full series.

Small Man Big Horse

I did a review of The Purple Nurple for my site but it's more gushing praise and a recap of what happened than thoughtful insights:

QuoteEver since Wonder Showzen aired I've been a huge fan of PFFR, and lapped up everything they've made or produced from Xavier Renegade Angel to Delocated, The Heart She Holler to the obscenely funny Final Flesh, with Vernon Chatman's Mindsploitation: Asinine Assignments for Online Homework Cheating Industry being one of the funniest books I've ever read. So when Adult Swim commissioned a pilot for their new anthology series The Shivering Truth I couldn't wait to see it, and as with their other fare it was beautifully insane comedy. They were given a full series which begins on December 9th but yesterday a new episode appeared on youtube entitled The Nurple Rainbow (though sadly it's now been removed) and it's joyful stuff indeed. At least if you find joy in comedy that's beyond bizarre.

The Shivering Truth is a kind of fucked up version of The Twilight Zone (or in there own words "A miniature propulsive omnibus clusterbomb of painfully riotous daymares all dripping with the orange goo of dream logic"), with each episode a stop motion animated selection of stories which apparently are loosely linked, at the very least thematically if nothing else. This episode contains four different stories and each is a deliciously mental delight. It starts with a man in bed who awakes and discovers a peculiar object inside his ear which he pulls out and it looks like a mix of membranes and a condom about two foot long. Because this is PFFR and the gross and the strange walk hand in hand. It becomes apparent that his roommate is responsible for putting it in there, who then removes the top of his head and pulls out a six foot sausage. So you probably see what I mean about them being a tad unusual. And that's just the pre-opening credits sequence, and next we're presented with a story about the world's greatest peek-a-boo player, where no one can see a little girl when she covers her eyes and plays the game, with death and misery soon ensuing.

This is followed by a skit where war journalists inject chicken blood in to their veins so that they're still alive when beheaded by terrorists, who then both go in to a career in comedy, before we return to the man in the first segment who now has something horrible giving birth inside his head. It's not weirdness for weirdness's sake though, there's a skewed logic to their work, so it still makes sense. Well, as much sense as PFFR ever make. Throughout each segment it's apparent that they're skilled wordsmiths and clearly love to play with the idiosyncrasies of language, creating a mixture of the disturbing and the silly, there's plenty of examples I could cite but the following particularly amused – "Police rounded up every pervert in the area, torturing them for information, which naturally the perverts loved, they undulated orgasmically for more. The cops were all too happy to oblige, nipple twisting, purple nurples, blue nurples, every nurple in the rainbow turned up a steaming pile of zilch". It has to be heard within context to get the full effect, but they skilfully pull off such odd material with aplomb.

As you might have guessed by now their work is admittedly an acquired taste, but if you like your comedy to be outlandish and unsettling but also incredibly funny than you'll love it a great amount. In some ways it's like watching a fever dream, but one which makes you laugh at the insanity of it all, and I can't wait to see the rest of the series now as if it's as good as this and the pilot are it's going to be some pretty astonishing tv.

Small Man Big Horse

Aw, thank you for that, it's very kind of you to say so.

Retinend

What are you reviewing? I thought there was only one episode to date: the pilot.