Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,469
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:37:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Corbyn 22 Now But It Won't Be For Long

Started by pigamus, November 02, 2018, 09:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Quote from: Buelligan on November 16, 2018, 10:14:14 AM
Because I have seen it (mostly through links here).  Do you see?

Not really, no. What you've seen is other people's experience of Twitter filtered and reported second-hand.

It just seems a bit of a petulant, childish view and I was surprised, that's all.

Edit: noopage.

Buelligan

Don't be surprised, I've made no secret of my derision for that platform these many long years.  I simply don't have the time or the interest, to wade through the 140 (now generously doubled) character-limited haikus of bores, if that makes me a child, tant pis.

bgmnts

How do you have the time or interest to wade through the no character limit haikus of bores on CaB?

Buelligan

Because I choose to, I don't read all of them.  Before anyone else asks, I don't read the telephone directory or fine print on tins or letters from the Jehovahs.  There are many, many, things I do not read.  Sorry if this is a problem.

Buelligan

pancreas

We are nearing, I think, the rhetorical soul of these threads.

Soup

For better or (and?) worse, Corbyn has played Brexit pretty much exactly how any other leader of the Labour party would have (aside, perhaps, the eagerness to trigger article 50, which is itself no small thing).

pancreas

^ True. That was a mistake, though it would probably have made no difference. That was back when May actually had a majority. Plus the LibDems voted for it too, no?

Buelligan

Anyone see Question Time last night?  Claire Perry openly ranted about Jeremy Corbyn - 50.00 on - calling him an anti-semite and making other offensive allegations I won't dignify by repeating.  For a moment I wondered if our alleged "Labour supporter" troll was actually a female Conservative MP, they certainly screech from the same script. 

They definitely have the wind right up 'em.  Out soon.

Quote from: Buelligan on November 16, 2018, 12:22:39 PM
Anyone see Question Time last night?  Claire Perry openly ranted about Jeremy Corbyn - 50.00 on - calling him an anti-semite and making other offensive allegations I won't dignify by repeating.  For a moment I wondered if our alleged "Labour supporter" troll was actually a female Conservative MP, they certainly screech from the same script. 

They definitely have the wind right up 'em.  Out soon.

What ever happened to defamation laws?
I mean, surely there's just as much if not more circumstantial evidence to support calling Mrs May a paedophile?
I look forward to that claim being made unchallenged next week.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: greencalx on November 16, 2018, 09:47:15 AM
I'm assuming these statements are being made ironically. I.e., it all would have turned out differently if Umunna/Cooper/... were in charge? But I'm not sure how to read them to be honest.

Why? They look sincere to me. I think Corbyn has done a decent job of navigating a minefield. Umunna and Cooper don't have the nous for this.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 16, 2018, 11:16:16 AM
Ed Balls trying to undermine Corbyn: https://twitter.com/bbc5live/status/1063381525377503232

I don't see how.  In a second referendum what campaign would the Labour leader be leading? I do not know.  In a General Election, what would Labour be running on?  Brexit?  He's said twice in recent weeks when asked a direct question that we cannot stop Brexit.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on November 16, 2018, 12:34:47 PM
I mean, surely there's just as much if not more circumstantial evidence to support calling Mrs May a paedophile?

Corbyn challenged Ben Bradley, rightly so, because his claim was incorrect.  LOTO folded in the face of Margaret Hodges legal advice, because Corbyn is an antisemite.  Rabbi Sacks and Trevor Phillips agree.  I would love to see Corbyn pursue this in court.  He won't.

Johnny Yesno

Buelligan

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on November 16, 2018, 12:34:47 PM

The BBC should consider whether some sort of apology should be made.  I think Claire Perry disgraced herself, she really lost it, it was embarrassing to watch and it was clear that most of the audience were shocked to witness it.

Replies From View

Quote from: Colin the Crepe on November 16, 2018, 12:46:11 PM
Corbyn challenged Ben Bradley, rightly so, because his claim was incorrect.  LOTO folded in the face of Margaret Hodges legal advice, because Corbyn is an antisemite.  Rabbi Sacks and Trevor Phillips agree.  I would love to see Corbyn pursue this in court.  He won't.

What's this fist-in-mouth cringe comedy you are going for?  I don't get it.

Soup

Quote from: Colin the Crepe on November 16, 2018, 12:41:51 PM
I don't see how.  In a second referendum what campaign would the Labour leader be leading? I do not know.  In a General Election, what would Labour be running on?  Brexit?  He's said twice in recent weeks when asked a direct question that we cannot stop Brexit.

Hi Colin, Labour would be running on a platform similar to the one they ran on last time, although there probably would be more focus on Brexit which Labour would continue to sell as a Brexit that works for jobs and the economy etc. Labour haven't ruled out a second referendum, but they're not backing one at this time. Were one to take place, I can only assume they would back remain just as they did last time under the same leadership.

I hope this helps, if you want any more help understanding the Labour party, consider not being obtuse and playing dumb about things you already know.

slapasoldier

Quote from: Buelligan on November 16, 2018, 12:53:57 PM
The BBC should consider whether some sort of apology should be made.  I think Claire Perry disgraced herself, she really lost it, it was embarrassing to watch and it was clear that most of the audience were shocked to witness it.

Do you think Corbyn should sue her?

Soup

Christ you cunts always flare up collectively but intermittently don't you. Like hemorrhoids.

Replies From View

Quote from: Soup on November 16, 2018, 12:59:15 PM
Christ you cunts always flare up collectively but intermittently don't you. Like hemorrhoids.

Same person, multiple accounts.  He likes to be perceived as a mob, for whatever reason.

thugler

I don't really understand how there is any other option than extension of article 50 and offering a second referendum including remain as an option.

Say there's an election and labour get in, will they be able to get their deal through parliament? I'm doubtful. So what other option is there. I don't see labour being able to agree an eu deal while out of power so the general election wouldnt provide a mandate to force mp's to get it through 

Soup

This is the danger of the Labour strategy isn't it. Even if there was an election and they won they don't look likely to get a big enough majority to be in a much better position than May and it's not even guaranteed they'd get the time to negotiate a deal of their own. The Tories have been a top to bottom shitshow these past two years, no doubt, but Corbyn seems awfully keen to pick up a chalice that's more poison than cup. But I dunno, everythings so in flux, I just wish this shit would end and we could have politics beyond fucking Brexageddon.

greencalx

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on November 16, 2018, 12:41:10 PM
Why? They look sincere to me.

I couldn't figure out what the intent behind those tweets was because I've only seen them devoid of context. There's a big difference between a known Centrist Dad type saying "Well done Corbyn for not splitting the country!" (or whatever it was) - as a CD would likely take the view that this is what JC had done, whereas others might take the opposite view. That is all. I'm willing to accept that I'm lazy and don't research the background behind everyone who posts on the internet - without this I genuinely find it difficult to gauge sincerity from dozen or so words. But it might be a bigger failing on my part - I quite often struggle to understand the point the people who write letters to newspapers are trying to make because they seem to me often couched in ambiguous terms.

I think Corbyn has done a decent job of navigating a minefield. Umunna and Cooper don't have the nous for this.

I agree, certainly with the first. It's hard to see what anyone could have done differently - perhaps come down a bit sooner on the customs union position, and people being less inclined to view dithering or a lack of a firm position as "actually wanting a hard Brexit just like the Tories". But those Remainers who think that "any other leader" would have continued to advocate a Remain position in the wake of the referendum are, I think, very much mistaken.

Kelvin

They handled it very well, until the latest party conference, where they offered the potential of another referendum, with the prospect of remain on the ballot.  Both the wrong move tactically and morally, imo - even as a remainer.