Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:45:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Corbyn 22 Now But It Won't Be For Long

Started by pigamus, November 02, 2018, 09:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Quote from: ToneLa on February 16, 2019, 11:02:19 AM
Sounds very short-term.

I'm not saying that's all they'd stand on, just that it would give them a public facing excuse.

ToneLa

Quote from: Kelvin on February 16, 2019, 12:20:24 PM
I'm not saying that's all they'd stand on, just that it would give them a public facing excuse.

Aye. And, I'm not saying you're wrong at all (this is a likely tactic isn't it), I'm saying they're myopic for not seeing that to get the Tories OOT that it helps if the left unite ... :)

Personally I have no appetite for such a party

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: NoSleep on February 16, 2019, 11:53:07 AM
Chuka is in a safe Labour seat... people will vote Labour, not Umunna. If he split he would have to stand in a place where his sickly brand of politics might hold sway. The best they can hope for is to split the Labour vote across the board to allow the Tories to remain in power (which I presume would be the intent, such is their love of right wing policy). Exactly as the SDP did.

Correct

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: NoSleep on February 16, 2019, 11:53:07 AM
Chuka is in a safe Labour seat... people will vote Labour, not Umunna. If he split he would have to stand in a place where his sickly brand of politics might hold sway. The best they can hope for is to split the Labour vote across the board to allow the Tories to remain in power (which I presume would be the intent, such is their love of right wing policy). Exactly as the SDP did.

What "love of right wing policy"? The guy has been a thorn in Corbyn's side (mainly due to Europe) but looking at his voting record, he's generally been on the correct side. Having said that, I think he should be deselected. I just question the wisdom of doing this with too many seats. I don't get how on one hand Corbyn is lauded on here for playing a very patient strategic game when it comes to Brexit, but now there's talk of a deselection fest. We're facing enough of an uphill battle as it is.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Going into government, with probably a slender majority gives the Blairites disproportionate power, so it is a genuine stick or twist decision, not an easy one or one anyone is taking lightly

greencalx

I would rather avoid deselection where possible. To my mind there's potentially a case when it comes to Kate Hoey (though that would be a matter for her constituents to decide) and perhaps one or two others, but Chuka I think is quite far down the list.

Buelligan

Maybe he'll go and live on a lovely farm with my guinea pig.  Don't pretend it hasn't crossed our minds, he needs to retrain and learn some shit from the sons and daughters of the soil.

Replies From View

Paul Calf

Quote from: greencalx on February 16, 2019, 11:48:48 AM
My own MP is part of the People's Vote / Chuka / Yvette alliance, but he is also a very good constituency MP. Although he's clearly not keen on Corbyn, he is at least polite about him in public. If he was actively shitstirring and breaking the whip like Austin, Mann, Hoey et al I'd want rid, but on balance I think a right winger who is a good constituency MP would be preferable to a left winger who you never see and makes no effort to represent your views in parliament.

At least the trains would run on time.

Replies From View

pancreas

Interesting how Marx's grave being vandalised now for a second time is somehow not an antisemitic attack, according to the news.

(It's almost certainly an antisemitic attack.)

BlodwynPig

Quote from: pancreas on February 16, 2019, 11:23:13 PM
Interesting how Marx's grave being vandalised now for a second time is somehow not an antisemitic attack, according to the news.

"whaddya mean, vandalism? There's not a Marx on it"

idunnosomename

Quote from: pancreas on February 16, 2019, 11:23:13 PM

Just Google "Bolshevik Holocaust" and you will see that it is DEFINITELY anti-semitic, fascist rhetoric.

TrenterPercenter

Been a bit busy so just catching up but a few pages back we were discussing losing the Jewish vote......

Labour never had the "Jewish vote" it's always been about 75% Tory voting.  Not that there is anything inherent about being Jewish and voting Tory and it would be great to have more Jewish people voting Labour......but you can't lose a vote you never had.

Just about to watch J Mac on Andew Marr, I wonder if they asked him about Winston Churchill again....

Johnny Yesno

king_tubby

Sherman Krank

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on February 17, 2019, 08:11:57 PM
Just about to watch J Mac on Andew Marr, I wonder if they asked him about Winston Churchill again....
Marr's show was fucking weird this morning. It was almost as though it was being broadcast from a parallel universe where the BBC were genuinely impartial.
McDonnell was given the easiest ride I've seen a Labour MP get on the BBC for years.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sherman Krank on February 17, 2019, 09:34:50 PM
Marr's show was fucking weird this morning. It was almost as though it was being broadcast from a parallel universe where the BBC were genuinely impartial.
McDonnell was given the easiest ride I've seen a Labour MP get on the BBC for years.

Litmus testing.

Replies From View

pancreas

Quote from: king_tubby on February 17, 2019, 09:11:55 PM
Chuka off again then, eh?

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1097232859914555393

Nothing will happen. All of this is just to provide stories to the MSM. They know they won't get selected on an En Marche ticket, so they'll just keep destabilising.

Chuka will have to be chuked before he leaves the LP.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Sherman Krank on February 17, 2019, 09:34:50 PM

https://youtu.be/SVc91LLRvMw?t=42m40s

honeychile

McDonnell always interviews well and that was great. Especially liked the line at the end: "We have to make sure we respond to our international duties to bring war criminals to book", followed by a not-so-subtle mention of The Hague.

Some day, a real chancellor will come and take all the war criminals to The Hague...

Replies From View

Bizarre that they named it after a bald British man.  It is a giant concrete replica of his head, I suppose, so it does make sense.  Just surprising.

greencalx

McDonnell does somewhat expose Corbyn's weaknesses as an interviewee, by exuding an air of reasonableness and an ability to think on his feet.

The Sun approves:

Quote from: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8440273/the-sun-says-brexit-compromise-jeremy-corbyn/
But they [the ERG] need to think hard now how they will feel on March 30 if Brexit is put off and they are blamed. If they have opened the door to a toxic, anti-Semitic, anti-Western Labour rabble so crazed by ideology they cannot even allow Winston Churchill's historic defeat of Nazism to trump his other failings.

A party committed to massive tax rises, maybe even a 20 per cent windfall levy on anyone's "wealth". A party led by pension-age Marxist revolutionaries friendly to Putin, Hamas, the IRA and hard-left dictators but hard on private enterprise, job-creation and free speech.

Replies From View

THESE PENSION-AGE LEADERS, GROWING UP HERE AND NOT RETIRING.

Paul Calf

Like a fucking idiot, I clicked on that link and scrolled down looking for the comnments.

The Sun is NSFW.

Replies From View

greencalx

Quote from: Paul Calf on February 18, 2019, 09:06:16 AM
Like a fucking idiot, I clicked on that link and scrolled down looking for the comnments.

The Sun is NSFW.

I didn't scroll down that far. Can you summarise it in a word?