Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:18:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Corbyn 22 Now But It Won't Be For Long

Started by pigamus, November 02, 2018, 09:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

EDIT: inane bollocks

Replies From View

pigamus

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on March 17, 2019, 09:48:25 PM
It's getting closer...

I'm liking Corbyn 23: Skidoo means Skidoo

Everybody Loves The Sound Of Corbyn 23 In The Distance, Everybody Thinks It's True

Paul Calf

I'm holding out little hope for the next local election by the way. I live in a key marginal held by a TINger and they've introduced voter ID this year.

NoSleep

Paul Calf

I'm not sure you see with any clarity the extent to which the left have been pushed into a corner, in the medium term at least. I wish you did, because then we might start to do something about it.

NoSleep

Quote from: Paul Calf on March 18, 2019, 09:25:39 AM
I'm not sure you see with any clarity the extent to which the left have been pushed into a corner, in the medium term at least. I wish you did, because then we might start to do something about it.

All of my life it's been that way. What's different about this week again?

Buelligan

Quote from: Paul Calf on March 18, 2019, 09:25:39 AM

Ask not what NoSleep can do about it, ask what you are doing.  John Wayne Bobbitt said that.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Paul Calf on March 18, 2019, 09:05:51 AM
I'm holding out little hope for the next local election by the way. I live in a key marginal held by a TINger and they've introduced voter ID this year.

Local elections can be swayed by local issues not to mention bloody minded dedication - by the way how can a Councillor be part of Tinge?

pancreas

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 18, 2019, 11:14:29 AM
Local elections can be swayed by local issues not to mention bloody minded dedication - by the way how can a Councillor be part of Tinge?

Stands as an independent and does some casual racism on the side, obvs.

phantom_power

Most people I know vote for a party in local elections rather than a person. I don't think it is any coincidence that the tingers have had a bigger majority in their constituencies since 2015

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: phantom_power on March 18, 2019, 01:21:45 PM
Most people I know vote for a party in local elections rather than a person. I don't think it is any coincidence that the tingers have had a bigger majority in their constituencies since 2015

It's interesting (to a demographics fan) to compare whose seats piled up votes and who had a weaker bounce. It does suggest it was nothing much to do with their performance as an MP. Veteran MPs perhaps have greater recognition.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 16, 2019, 10:37:23 AM
I agree, but there is a bigger gap politically between Watson and Corbyn than Watson and Kendall.

Anyway, whatever happens Remainers will continue shouting that Labour haven't done enough to stop a Tory Brexit, despite Labour having only 265 seats in the commons and no majority in the lords.

Let's see:
- Literally campaigned during the referendum to Remain in the EU and directed its voters to do so, with the effect 2/3rds of its voters voted Remain
- After the referendum result was to Leave, Labour justifiably vowed to honour that result during the General Election. People were so outraged, that Labour's vote share increased by 10% and 3 million votes.
- Despite being in opposition Labour secured a meaningful vote via amendments to the legislation, which bore fruit last night when parliament rejected May's deal, but had already been painting the Tories into a corner and weakening the hard Brexit camp and May simultaneously, piece by piece.
- Labour have committed to remaining in a customs union with the EU and ruled out leaving the EU without a deal, soon to be backed up by further amendments in the house
- Labour have passed a no confidence motion in the Government precisely due to its failed Brexit policy
- Labour have inflicted more defeats on the government in two years than occurred between 1979-2010, predominantly over Brexit business.
- Labour have committed in the event if being unable to secure a general election of, among other options, holding a second referendum to see if the mood of the public has changed.

So, it's clear their policy has kept faithful to their pledge to honour the referendum while seeking to shape Brexit policy around Labour's priorities. At every opportunity they have had to reject Brexit as written by the Tories they have done. When they have noticed the mood turning against Brexit they have reflected that in their own policymaking.

Labour's voters were split down the middle on Brexit and so the leadership have quite rightly tread carefully and kept their moral compass focused on Labour voters shared values - worker rights, environmental and legal protections, jobs and trade advantages and backed that up at every opportunity while continuing to uphold their manifesto. That doesn't mean you have to agree with it, but it is time for Remainers to realise Labour owe a pledge to Remainers and Leavers, and therefore have a policy that reflects that.

Labour have also made the - correct - calculation that Remainers need Labour more than Leavers do, so their focus has been on retaining the support and loyalty of working class leavers, a not unfair or unwise ambition at all given most marginal seats up for grabs are in Leaver constituencies and most seats won last time were in Leaver constituencies.

There is no Corbynist plot to drive through Brexit against the will of the party. This is clearly evidenced by the presence of Keir Starmer as Shadow Brexit Secretary who is no-one's idea of a Brexiteer and was chosen by Corbyn. This is clearly evidenced by Labour following the precise motions passed by the members at the party conference.

Remember when people said Corbyn was unelectable because he always put principles before power? Now Remainers are demanding he does the opposite simply because of - factually - minority demands. That's their right to do, but it is deeply hypocritical, feckless, spoilt and intellectually dishonest.

Oh dear.  Quoted for posterity.  Very pompous post given what we know now.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 18, 2019, 11:14:29 AM

Replies From View

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on May 31, 2019, 10:34:21 PM
Oh dear.  Quoted for posterity.  Very pompous post given what we know now.

Posted for posterity.  You might one day come to your senses about being such a spiteful, downwards-punching cunt, and I'd hate for you to feel you never had this persona and can just move on from it.