Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:14:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 11 (Part 2)

Started by Mister Six, November 02, 2018, 01:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Deanjam on December 04, 2018, 09:11:21 PM

Good god that is woeful.

With any luck the other channels have something on.

Cloud

Christ.  Michael McIntyre and Eastenders.  Don't know what's worse...
Desolation

Replies From View

Quote from: Cloud on December 04, 2018, 09:47:04 PM
Desolation

Basically everything from 5.30pm onwards is pure desolation.  That's if you're happy to let The Good Dinosaur and the 2016 Jungle Book into your home.  Otherwise there's nothing.  May as well be Last of the Summer Wine and Antiques Roadshow for the Sunday vibe it's giving off.

St_Eddie

Where's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade?!  I simply will not stand for this sacrilege!  I demand to watch Nazi's being murdered by a man in a hat during Christmas Day, just like any other sane and rational person.

Spoon of Ploff

on the plus side this means more quality time spent with your loved ones.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on December 04, 2018, 09:56:09 PM
on the plus side this means more quality time spent with your loved ones.

Yeah but on the other hand, it means spending more quality time with your loved ones.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

As boring and lifeless as this series has been, I'm gonna miss Doctor Who on Christmas Day.

Me too. It'll be an inevitably underwhelming episode, but I'm used to being underwhelmed by Doctor Who on Christmas Day. A much-loved family tradition.

Quote from: Replies From View on December 04, 2018, 09:33:11 PM
Good god that is woeful.

With any luck the other channels have something on.

They don't, the other terrestrial channels never bother at Christmas. ITV's plum offering on Christmas Day is a drama about Torvill and Dean. BBC Two and Channel 4 may as well just take the day off, they have nothing new to offer at all.

However, I adamantly maintain that Call the Midwife is a good show. I would rather watch a series of Doctor Who in the hands of those writers than what we currently have.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Cloud on December 04, 2018, 09:47:04 PM
Desolation

I'm a miserable fucker but I was baffled by the apparent pleasure my family got from watching some people arguing and one of them falling off a roof last Christmas. It wasn't even Michael McIntyre.

Replies From View

We should put together some CaB offerings in a dedicated thread; links to youtube clips of vintage and obscure Christmas programmes and continuity/adverts and so on.

OUR FAMILIES WILL THANK US FOR NOT PROPERLY SPENDING TIME WITH THEM.

Bourgyste

So what's next? No Boxing Day football?

Pranet

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 03, 2018, 10:46:33 PM
Just caught up with this last one. I can't get my head round it. How can a programme manage to be simultaneously so shit and so brilliant?

I think I agree with that. It was indeed both shit and brilliant, if by that you mean the specific episode and not the whole Doctor Who thing. A bit like a hologram.

Replies From View

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 04, 2018, 10:39:58 PM
I'm a miserable fucker but I was baffled by the apparent pleasure my family got from watching some people arguing and one of them falling off a roof last Christmas. It wasn't even Michael McIntyre.

The Rod Hull Chronicles?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Replies From View on December 04, 2018, 10:42:11 PM
The Rod Hull Chronicles?

Oh, you saw it too? Rod Hull and Emu on a roof in the East End animatedly struggling with an aerial to pick up something better than Mrs Brown's Boys.

Cloud

I was re-watching that clip I posted a few pages back with the Doctor having "his turn" entering the TARDIS for the first time.  Another comment I have:  imagine if RTD or Moffat (with a bit of timey wimey jiggery pokery) had been brave enough to cast Kingston as the Doctor.  I think it'd have worked really, really well

Replies From View

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 04, 2018, 10:51:28 PM
Oh, you saw it too? Rod Hull and Emu on a roof in the East End animatedly struggling with an aerial to pick up something better than Mrs Brown's Boys.

Yes, and I personally thought it was excellent.

Quote from: Cloud on December 04, 2018, 10:51:58 PM
I was re-watching that clip I posted a few pages back with the Doctor having "his turn" entering the TARDIS for the first time.  Another comment I have:  imagine if RTD or Moffat (with a bit of timey wimey jiggery pokery) had been brave enough to cast Kingston as the Doctor.  I think it'd have worked really, really well

That would've been bloody awful. I have nothing against Kingston, she's a decent actor, but the thought of Moffat writing for her as the Doctor is unbearable. Irritating sassy quips galore. Horrible.

mothman

That Christmas Day schedule is so awful, it even makes me not want to bother getting the Christmas Radio Times.

olliebean

So what are we thinking, McIntyre wanted the primetime Christmas slot and he has more pull with the BBC than Chibnall?

Malcy

There's a lot of theories and stuff surrounding the finale that make a lot of sense so I'm keeping away from articles/Twitter for the rest of the week so I'm not too spoiled but I did see this.

http://cultbox.co.uk/news/peter-jackson-still-wants-to-direct-doctor-who

Quote from: olliebean on December 05, 2018, 12:00:33 AM
So what are we thinking, McIntyre wanted the primetime Christmas slot and he has more pull with the BBC than Chibnall?

McIntyre is clearly putting in a bid for next showrunner.

BUT SERIOUSLY: Sherlock was always a massive New Year's Day ratings winner, so that's what the BBC are hoping to emulate. They've got Doctor Who and Luther going out on that day, so they can't lose.

Replies From View

Quote from: Malcy on December 05, 2018, 12:22:15 AM
There's a lot of theories and stuff surrounding the finale that make a lot of sense so I'm keeping away from articles/Twitter for the rest of the week so I'm not too spoiled but I did see this.

http://cultbox.co.uk/news/peter-jackson-still-wants-to-direct-doctor-who

I think Peter Jackson would be well-suited to directing within Chibnall's brave new era of the main characters being bombarded by one random threat after another without any sense of escalation or peril.  Moreso than directing for RTD or Moffat.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Replies From View on December 04, 2018, 09:03:35 PM
Don't get me wrong; I would sex that frog in the mouth.

A frog sat on Nick Knowles face in todays I'm A Celebrity.  Not saying it was the same frog.  Actually it might have been a toad.

As boring and lifeless as this series has been, I'm gonna miss Doctor Who on Christmas Day.

I was laughing at that thinking it was a nice parody, then it dawned on me that it was most likely real.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 04, 2018, 10:38:47 PMHowever, I adamantly maintain that Call the Midwife is a good show. I would rather watch a series of Doctor Who in the hands of those writers than what we currently have.

The last episode of the most recent series included news of JFK blown away.  I'm expecting Doctor Who to get a passing mention in the new series, Dr Turner's son and Sister Monica Joan being the most likely ones to be avid viewers.

pigamus

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on December 05, 2018, 02:14:57 AM
The last episode of the most recent series included news of JFK blown away. 

What else did it have to say?

Quote from: pigamus on December 05, 2018, 02:29:46 AM
What else did it have to say?

That made me laugh, and it's not even 7am. A good start to the day. Ta!

mothman

Is that a new Outnumbered, or a repeat? Presumably the latter, an old Christmas Special, but not called that to avoid impressions it might be new. Which adds to the bleak(midwinter)ness of that schedule.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 03, 2018, 10:46:33 PM
Just caught up with this last one. I can't get my head round it. How can a programme manage to be simultaneously so shit and so brilliant?

Yes. I think something this episode did which we haven't seen before this series is it had multiple settings, each with a different mystery thing going on. First the abandoned blind girl in and the monster, then the weird cave place with the moths, then the mirror world, and finally froggy.

The Kevin Eldon bit could have been stuck in any story - thematically it would have made more sense if going through the mirror took you directly to the mirror world where dead people lived. But the Kevin Eldon bit did stop it feeling like a cliche.

Alberon

The most depressing thing about those schedules is that they are still better than any non-BBC channel.

Anyway, The Witchfinders got a final viewing figure of 7.21m and an AI rating of 81. I know you can't directly compare the two due to different time slots but the eighth episode of the last series got 4.82m.

Phil_A

I let out a big sigh when I read that the finale, traditionally the episode where the production goes all out for a grand scale ending to the season, has a guest cast of just four actors.

My prediction - the title refers to a huge battle that we're not actually going to see as that would be far too exciting/expensive. We'll most likely just get some people standing around in a quarry and the Doctor saying, "Ooh, was there a battle here? Bet that was nasty, weren't it."