Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:11:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 11 (Part 2)

Started by Mister Six, November 02, 2018, 01:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MuteBanana

Quote from: BritishHobo on December 09, 2018, 07:00:57 PM
TIM SHAW - YOU MADE MY WIFE FALL OFF THAT CRANE SHE DIDN'T NEED TO BE CLIMBING!

Tim Shaw was the peak.

Chairman Yang

This is... a radical new storytelling format.

Hmm. Not sure referencing a better series finale is a good idea.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on December 09, 2018, 07:06:12 PM
This is all like some weird Hollywood version of Doctor Who where the people involved don't have a fucking clue

Yeah.

Phil_A

FISTBUMP. THEY DID THE FISTBUMP. THEY DID IT. JUST THEN.

MuteBanana

Norton Canes

That the fist bump was such a throwaway moment was probably the episode's sole saving grace

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 09, 2018, 07:12:02 PM
That the fist bump was such a throwaway moment was probably the episode's sole saving grace (said in awkward unison)

Chairman Yang

Friends, this is some orange and teal baloney, right here.

BritishHobo

"Oh Yaz, we had the most amazing adventure! We ran into Tim Shaw again, and he was using these two aliens to kidnap planets, and we had to stop him from stealing Earth!"

"I know! I was there!"

"Hmm. I'm not sure you were, Yaz."

Malcy

Enjoyed that.

'Does it have a name'? 100% they cut that just before she said Dalek. Either that or Myrka...

BritishHobo

Felt like that raised some really interesting and tough questions about the Doctor's code - very intentionally so as well, not by accident - and then just immediately stopped bothering with them.

Chairman Yang

It had me right up to them entering the floating rock. Graham vs The Doctor threatened to be an actual story, but then it just became everyone asking a barrage of impotent questions to drag out the sense of mystery.

Edit: Who are you? What are you doing? What's that? Why are you here? What do you want? Revenge on who? What's the crystal? What's happening? How did you get here? Where's your dead wife, Idiot?

It just went on and on like me in a Doctor Who thread.

pigamus

Have you ever cooked one of those 'healthy' ready meals, only to discover that the reason it's 'healthy' is that it has literally no flavour whatsoever, but you carry on grimly munching through its gustatory nothingness because you can't be bothered to cook anything else?

No, neither have I, don't know why I mentioned it.

Replies From View

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on December 09, 2018, 06:41:38 PM
The Doctor's "flexible" stance on weapons just royally pissed me off too. Maybe with some better writing it would have been more palatable but either way it's terrible characterisation.

Again, it's too on the nose.  The seventh Doctor wouldn't handle explosives etc himself, but would occasionally hint to Ace that he wanted something done 'her way' and say he was turning a blind eye.  Whereas Chibnall's writing spells everything out with a painful lack of ambiguity or humour, leaving nothing open to interpretation, and making the thirteenth Doctor a dithering, self-contradicting idiot.  Except that's not a characterisation; we're not supposed to think that of her.

The Roofdog

Fucking hell I don't think I can plod through a second series of this.

Small Man Big Horse

I liked it a fair bit, it wasn't anything amazing but it was pretty fun, the villain was actually threatening for once, and though they didn't make great use of the extras at least they had a fair few in the episode.

It's been a Doctor Who related day for me as I saw Any Suggestions, Doctor? the improvised Doctor Who play and that was even better than the season finale, a review of it is here: https://comedytowatch.wordpress.com/2018/12/09/live-review-any-suggestions-doctor/

Deanjam

But I can't wait until 2020!!!

Oh wait, yes I can.

Chairman Yang

Oh also "The Pirate Planet" is a dead good episode of that one show called Doctor Who...

pigamus

Quote from: The Roofdog on December 09, 2018, 07:26:41 PM
Fucking hell I don't think I can plod through a second series of this.

+1

olliebean

What the fuck was that massive load of shit? How does Chibnall manage to make his first series finale the absolute worst episode of Doctor Who he's ever written? (And it wasn't a high bar.)

olliebean

Quote from: Deanjam on December 09, 2018, 07:27:23 PM

Oh wait, yes I can.

Oh, for FUCK's sake!

Couldn't they get someone competent to make some more in the meantime?

Malcy

Quote from: olliebean on December 09, 2018, 07:31:07 PM
Oh, for FUCK's sake!

Couldn't they get someone competent to make some more in the meantime?

Like Moffats reign of split series and gaps?

Replies From View

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 09, 2018, 07:26:53 PM
It's been a Doctor Who related day for me as I saw Any Suggestions, Doctor? the improvised Doctor Who play and that was even better than the season finale

Damning with faint praise there.

pigamus

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I smiled and thought of this place when Graham and Ryan finally did their FISTBUMP. So in that sense, this episode was a roaring success.

Replies From View

Oh wait, yes I can.

OH MAN THAT IS SUCH A GREAT PIECE OF DESIGN I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS

REMINDS ME OF THE FIRST BBC COMEDY DVDS OR A BOOTLEG CD OR SOMETHING

Phil_A

Quote from: Chairman Yang on December 09, 2018, 07:27:45 PM
Oh also "The Pirate Planet" is a dead good episode of that one show called Doctor Who...

Plus that other episode about people who can build stuff purely using the power of their minds which the Doctor can't seem to remember now...

Would've been nice if the Doctor had had a moment of contemplation when she realised this whole thing was her doing. "Is this my fault for interfering?", that sort of thing. But nope. Nothing.

Would've been nice to see some reaction from Earth while all the business with the shrinking ray was going on, people running and screaming in panic as an unnatural pink glow fills the sky, that sort of thing. But nope, nothing.

I have the same feeling of hollow emptiness watching that as I did seeing the Star Wars Prequels, just sinking sense of disappointment that that was all there is. I get that feeling after most episodes now.

In a way it's a relief the show isn't back next year as I really don't think I can be bothered with it at this point.

Small Man Big Horse

Oh wait, yes I can.

Christ Chibnall is so shit, can't even make two series without a long gap, even Moffat did that.