Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:00:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 11 (Part 2)

Started by Mister Six, November 02, 2018, 01:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Quote from: Elizabeth SandiferIts dramatic tension was "will the white man take revenge over his dead wife?"

Bit off that - Bradley Walsh is clearly a healthy orange (with teal shadows!!)

Mango Chimes

Bit conspicuous to get all adjectival there (twice) whilst neglecting to mention the equally prominent black companion at all. That's a bad blog. A bad bad blog. Why's everyone much shitter at writing about Doctor Who than people in this thread? Replies, Six, Ballad and a few more of you should stick up a Patreon as you're pissing quality monetisable content.

Following daf's question, there's an interesting table to be drawn up for this series. Ryan's Dyspraxia could form a column next to Alberon's research into Yaz/Graham Interactions, next to instances of People Rendered Unconscious, and TARDIS Interiors... Have any people with dyspraxia, or dyspraxia experts of another kind written about this series? For a series (I think admirably) concerned with education, it's dropped the ball on this one, and I've no idea if it's possible for someone who struggles to ride a bike or climb ladders (due to coordination problems) to also be excellent at running, dodging and shooting laser weapons.

Mister Six

It would also added a bit of tension to Ryan sticking up Tim Shaw at the end, as he'd be liable to blow Graham's head off.

Can't access that blog, but out of context that white man line does sound rum. Identity politics makes people's brains dribble out of their fucking ears.

(And thanks, Mango Chimes! But if I spent any more time watching or talking about Doctor Who, my missus would divorce me.)

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Mango Chimes on December 13, 2018, 01:19:23 PM
That's a very poor piece of writing

It is. A woolly ramble, almost Wollaston-esque.

Quote from: Mango Chimes on December 13, 2018, 05:32:29 PMReplies, Six, Ballad and a few more of you should stick up a Patreon as you're pissing quality monetisable content.

Thanks, Mango! I don't think I could cope with writing about Chibnall's Who every week, though.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 13, 2018, 08:46:02 PM
Thanks, Mango! I don't think I could cope with writing about Chibnall's Who every week, though.

But you already do!

Alberon

Episode 3 of the Yaz/Graham Chronicles detailing all their interactions over the series.

'Rosa'

Now there's a couple of times where all four are discussing things where Yaz and Graham have adjacent lines, but this is the only bit that can genuinely be called an exchange.

Quote33m 00s

Graham: James Blake is taking the day off.
Yaz: What? But he can't!
Graham: That's what I said. Strangely, he didn't listen.

Coming soon - we meet Yaz's very annoying family.

Mango Chimes

Arbitrary ratings because I'm procrastinating from doing something useful.

ALMOST BRILLIANT BUT NOT
It Takes You Away

ADMIRABLE MOVING GOOD
Rosa
Demons of the Punjab

FUN GOOD
The Witchfinders
Arachnids in the UK

THE FIRST EPISODE SO IT'S HARD TO JUDGE BUT IT SEEMED ALRIGHT
The Woman Who Fell To Earth

BORING BAD
The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos
The Ghost Monument
The Tsuranga Conundrum

DISCOMFORTING BORING BAD
Kerblam!

Which is more goods than bads. But the goods are heavily caveated and the bads were quite difficult to stick with.

Isnt Anything

Yeah i agree with all that list except that one.

Mango Chimes

I liked it fine, like a middling RTD era romp. Especially enjoyed the grime bit. It's similar to The Ghost Monument in that it's riddled with problems on every level, but in this case I could overlook them due to being something other than overwhelmingly bored.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mango Chimes on December 14, 2018, 03:05:56 PM
Arbitrary ratings because I'm procrastinating from doing something useful.

ALMOST BRILLIANT BUT NOT
It Takes You Away

ADMIRABLE MOVING GOOD
Rosa
Demons of the Punjab

FUN GOOD
The Witchfinders
Arachnids in the UK

THE FIRST EPISODE SO IT'S HARD TO JUDGE BUT IT SEEMED ALRIGHT
The Woman Who Fell To Earth

BORING BAD
The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos
The Ghost Monument
The Tsuranga Conundrum

DISCOMFORTING BORING BAD
Kerblam!

Which is more goods than bads. But the goods are heavily caveated and the bads were quite difficult to stick with.

I agree with whoever it was who said that "good" has now been recalibrated to mean "the forgettable, Gatiss-standard filler episode".

Alberon

The Yaz/Graham Chronicles continue. Tonight, episode 4 - 'Apathy in the UK'

Quote4m 55s

Yaz: Graham?
Graham: I think I'll nip home first, Yaz. Maybe join you later if that's all right.

To Be Continued!

Chairman Yang

Alberon, you're doing God's work here.

Edit: Although at the end of this I'm going to need a Lesbian Shipping ratio to compare it to.

MuteBanana

Just hit me. First female Doctor should've been Vicky McClure. Oh well what a fuck up.

Does anyone else genuinely feel like we've slipped into a parallel reality where everything we love just gets progressively worse?

I just watched 'The Rings Of Akhatan' -  an episode of who which I previously thought was the most hollow, worthless and cheesy episode the show had produced since it return only to find myself enraptured. The tear down Matts cheek during the speech is so understated and perfect.

I genuinely don't know what's going on anymore with existence and things. 'The Chibnall Perspective' has distorted my entire perspective of not just who but 'what it is to be an acceptable story' I'm astounded as to how this series of Who made it to air, it's like nobody with any creative control had seen the worst of the previous run let alone understood the best episodes.

Please. Just watch 'The Rings Of Akhatan' and tell me that if that exact script with some minor character rearrangement, wouldn't be the best episode of series 11 by far.

Mister Six

Not least because it has more than five actors in it.

mjwilson

Quote from: canted_angle_again on December 15, 2018, 03:47:53 AM
Does anyone else genuinely feel like we've slipped into a parallel reality where everything we love just gets progressively worse?

I just watched 'The Rings Of Akhatan' -  an episode of who which I previously thought was the most hollow, worthless and cheesy episode the show had produced since it return only to find myself enraptured. The tear down Matts cheek during the speech is so understated and perfect.

In other words, Chris Chibnall has created a number of incredible Doctor Who episodes. It's just that they're not his, they're the ones in the past which you didn't previously like.

VelourSpirit

'The Chibnall Perspective' has distorted my entire perspective of not just who but 'what it is to be an acceptable story'

I've had the exact same thing and I've seen it said a lot elsewhere. It's mad that it's had that effect on so many people. I've skipped around in Netflix on a few different episodes just to see a few scenes and I've been absolutely rapt, just found it difficult to pull myself away. I might actually rewatch some Gatiss episodes. For me, the whole of series 7 part 2 is certainly up for a reappraisal now.

And the next showrunner will send all into dewy eyed reminiscence for the golden (teal) Chibbera...

pigamus

Quote from: Mango Chimes on December 14, 2018, 03:05:56 PM
DISCOMFORTING BORING BAD
Kerblam!

Really? I mean it fell apart spectacularly at the end, but the bulk of it was actually a really good episode.

Replies From View

Quote from: pigamus on December 15, 2018, 09:58:23 AM
Really? I mean it fell apart spectacularly at the end, but the bulk of it was actually a really good episode.

Sometimes six hours of uncontrollable shitting can ruin a whole day.

Small Man Big Horse

I genuinely don't know what's going on anymore with existence and things. 'The Chibnall Perspective' has distorted my entire perspective of not just who but 'what it is to be an acceptable story' I'm astounded as to how this series of Who made it to air, it's like nobody with any creative control had seen the worst of the previous run let alone understood the best episodes.

Please. Just watch 'The Rings Of Akhatan' and tell me that if that exact script with some minor character rearrangement, wouldn't be the best episode of series 11 by far.

I know what you mean, I was reading some of the Eleventh Doctor comics last night and previously thought they were just a bit average, but in comparison to Chibnall's efforts they're really fun to read. Fortunately I've got quite a few series with other Doctors to go through too, so that should help me get through a long Who-less 2019.

daf

Quote from: TwinPeaks on December 15, 2018, 09:43:30 AM
I might actually rewatch some Gatiss episodes.

Have a crack at Robot of Sherwood - Nobody seemed to like that one at the time, but I love it!

olliebean

I did a full RTD era rewatch during the fallow year of 2016 and found myself appreciating it a lot more than I had the first time through. I reckon I might schedule a complete Moffat era rewatch for 2019.

Cloud

Aye, I'm most of the way through Eccleston's (short) run.  I remember generally enjoying it but also deriding certain episodes for farting aliens and robot Anne Robinson.  Every single one of them so far has been better than anything in season 11. 

What I find interesting is, I don't think the stories and ideas are any better, some of them are a bit naff... it's how it's presented.  I'm no expert on how TV shows are put together, but am guessing better scriptwriting and direction.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: pigamus on December 15, 2018, 09:58:23 AM

Yeah, it was dull. By this point in the series I was pretty weary of the perfunctory dialogue and general mediocrity – if it was episode 2, maybe I'd have been more forgiving.

Now we've seen the whole series, incidentally, it's confirmed: the most excited we've seen this Doctor is at the beginning of that episode – not meeting Rosa Parks, not saving (possibly) millions of lives, not meeting a sentient universe. I hope they double down on that and we see her absolutely losing her shit at a MacDonald's children's party next series.

Quote from: canted_angle_again on December 15, 2018, 03:47:53 AMPlease. Just watch 'The Rings Of Akhatan' and tell me that if that exact script with some minor character rearrangement, wouldn't be the best episode of series 11 by far.

I always liked Rings of Akhatan and didn't understand the dislike it gets. I'm trying to think of a genuinely bad episode to go back to watch. Even the roundly hated Fear Her, I admired the central idea...

notjosh

Quote from: Mango Chimes on December 15, 2018, 02:42:09 PM
I always liked Rings of Akhatan and didn't understand the dislike it gets. I'm trying to think of a genuinely bad episode to go back to watch.

If anyone here can face revisiting In the Forest of the Night they're a better man than I.