Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:18:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 11 (Part 2)

Started by Mister Six, November 02, 2018, 01:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

Maybe they should get someone really fucking brilliant in and just end the whole thing for good/the next twenty years. Have the Doctor fling herself into the sun to save the universe.

olliebean

I reckon it's time to let the Americans have a go. Max Landis would make a good Doctor Who showrunner.

<edit> Just to clarify my above statement, what I mean is I reckon it's time to let the Americans have a go, as long as the Americans they let at it are Max Landis specifically.

Replies From View

I think they should let a better writer than Chris Chibnall have a go.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: olliebean on January 10, 2019, 05:56:04 PM
I reckon it's time to let the Americans have a go. Max Landis would make a good Doctor Who showrunner.

<edit> Just to clarify my above statement, what I mean is I reckon it's time to let the Americans have a go, as long as the Americans they let at it are Max Landis specifically.

I was a big fan of his take on Dirk Gently but due to the sexual assault allegations that were made against him in 2017 I can't see it happening. I'd prefer Noah Hawley to be honest, but his version would probably be pretty dark.

Replies From View

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 10, 2019, 06:48:05 PM
I was a big fan of his take on Dirk Gently but due to the sexual assault allegations that were made against him in 2017 I can't see it happening.

Hmm, best not risk any Americans, to be honest.

Alberon

Mister Six

Quote from: Deanjam on January 10, 2019, 04:36:13 PM
Re NYD ratings. Lizo speaketh thus:

I don't think we can really compare the NYD ratings to anything other than the next NYD episode, if there is one.

Mister Six

Don't want to see non-Brits at the helm until Neil Cross and Toby Whithouse (at least) have been given a crack at it.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on January 10, 2019, 09:24:01 PM
I don't think we can really compare the NYD ratings to anything other than the next NYD episode, if there is one.

Could compare it to The End of Time Part 2.

Mister Six

No - that's the second part of a two-parter that began on Christmas Day AND it's a regeneration episode.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: olliebean on January 10, 2019, 05:56:04 PM

I thought this was a joke. Max Landis? The cunt Max Landis? This cunt?

Chibnall's turned people crazy.

Shaky

Ha, indeed. The man's a fucking joke and Dirk Gently is a rare success on an otherwise smelly career... plate.

chveik

Everyone should know that Damon Lindelof is the man for the job (after all, Moffatt's a second rate Lindelof).

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 10, 2019, 05:25:12 PM
Job of a lifetime? Ha!

Yes, if you're a lifelong Doctor Who fan like Chibnall, Moffat and RTD. But don't let that stop you sniping cheaply from the sidelines.

Jerzy Bondov

It's all very well having a female Doctor Who, but the show won't really be as progressive as it pretends to be until the showrunner is someone who really understands the struggle of women, for example Graham Linehan

Replies From View

He's like Han Solo except a line.

Norton Canes

I'm sure you lot know that the BBC website's Writers Room section has hundreds of scripts from the corporation's archives available for download as PDFs, including those of the David Tennant story Smith And Jones and several Capaldi stories. Well, guess what just got added: The Woman Who Fell To Earth

Mister Six

QuoteYASMIN KHAN, 19, native Sheffielder, Pakistani heritage,
formidable, funny, ball of energy.

Ah, that's who she's supposed to be.

For the record:

QuoteRYAN SINCLAIR, looking at us. 19, black, Sheffield born and bred; cheeky, strong, caring. Best grin you ever saw. 

QuoteGRAHAM O'BRIEN, white, 60s: sharp, funny, fit. Transplanted Essex: West Ham scarf.

QuoteGRACE O'BRIEN. Black, late 50s/early 60s. Strong,
warm, caring force of nature.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Mister Six on January 11, 2019, 04:25:49 PM
Ah, that's who she's supposed to be.

She's not supposed to be 19, is she?

mothman

Makes sense. She's a rookie policewoman. Doesn't strike me as a uni grad (especially given is and age as Ryan).

I happened to find myself perusing the career of Matthew Graham, and it's not too shabby (well compared to Chibnall anyway). I've got a feeling he's been discussed before; what's the consensus on his suitability as potential showrunner?

Mango Chimes

Now, I'm not William Goldman, but isn't that bad practice for scriptwriting? Like, aren't you supposed to have a character do or say something funny rather than introduce her as 'funny' in scene description?

Also, that's mad she's supposed to be 19.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mango Chimes on January 11, 2019, 05:13:24 PM
Now, I'm not William Goldman, but isn't that bad practice for scriptwriting? Like, aren't you supposed to have a character do or say something funny rather than introduce her as 'funny' in scene description?

"Hello I am 19 years old."

"HAHA WHAT A FUNNY AGE I HOPE YOUR HUMOUR EXTENDS INTO OTHER THINGS YOU SAY AND DO."

olliebean

Quote from: Shaky on January 11, 2019, 12:29:47 AM
Ha, indeed. The man's a fucking joke and Dirk Gently is a rare success on an otherwise smelly career... plate.

Dirk Gently did have a very Doctor Who-ish feel to it, so maybe that's something he might be good at. I bet he'd be better than Chibnall, anyway. I wasn't aware of the sexual assault allegations against him, though, or I wouldn't have suggested him.

Bryan Fuller, maybe?

Jerzy Bondov

I love Bryan Fuller but we'd be lucky to get one series in a decade let alone one a year.

Once again I must mention another white man, Charlie Higson. At the very least he should write an episode

Replies From View

Charlie Brooker as showrunner.

Simon Munnery as the Doctor.

Kevin Eldon as the Master.

mjwilson

Quote from: Mango Chimes on January 11, 2019, 05:13:24 PM

I think the bad practice is when you have characters saying things like "Derek is the kindest person I ever  met" but you forget to show this hypothetical Derek character doing anything kind. I don't think there's anything wrong with saying that a character is funny in the script like that. (And I am William Goldman.)

Mister Six

Quote from: mothman on January 11, 2019, 04:59:53 PM
Makes sense. She's a rookie policewoman. Doesn't strike me as a uni grad (especially given is and age as Ryan).

She and Ryan are supposed to have gone to school. I don't think either of them look 19 though.

Mister Six

Quote from: mjwilson on January 11, 2019, 06:58:17 PM
I think the bad practice is when you have characters saying things like "Derek is the kindest person I ever  met" but you forget to show this hypothetical Derek character doing anything kind. I don't think there's anything wrong with saying that a character is funny in the script like that. (And I am William Goldman.)

Yeah it's basically just a quick way to frame the character for casting and performance reasons. Happens all over the shop. It's a common complaint of women actors that the script just described their character as, essentially, "hot".

A bigger concern is that most of those characters have more or less the same description, if you take into account synonyms - some combination of funny, outgoing, caring and "strong".

Alberon

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 11, 2019, 12:43:13 PM
I'm sure you lot know that the BBC website's Writers Room section has hundreds of scripts from the corporation's archives available for download as PDFs, including those of the David Tennant story Smith And Jones and several Capaldi stories. Well, guess what just got added: The Woman Who Fell To Earth

Is that just what was shown or are there bits there that were cut from the broadcast episode?

Does it do a better job of making Dead Nan's death less utterly pointless?

Phil_A

Quote from: mothman on January 11, 2019, 04:59:53 PM

I happened to find myself perusing the career of Matthew Graham, and it's not too shabby (well compared to Chibnall anyway). I've got a feeling he's been discussed before; what's the consensus on his suitability as potential showrunner?

I loved Life On Mars & Ashes To Ashes, but all of Graham's Dr Who episodes have been average-to-bad.

RTD once mentioned he'd asked Paul Abbott to pitch an episode, and what he came back with was something incredibly wild that wouldn't have really fit the series at that point, but it does raise some intriguing possibilities.