Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:03:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 11 (Part 2)

Started by Mister Six, November 02, 2018, 01:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

I found this snippet of news from The Doctor Who Companion blog interesting: http://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2019/01/11/consolidated-audience-ratings-revealed-for-doctor-who-resolution/

QuoteMeanwhile, BBC America apparently isn't too happy with Doctor Who's performance, with Resolution drawing in an average of 1.4 million viewers (coincidentally, this is also the average figure for the whole of Series 11 on the channel).

If the yanks no longer like it we're doomed! Doooooooooooomed!

mothman

"Wayll, gosh darn it, Jim-Bob, that thair tahm-travellin' limey dude gone done turned hisself into a menstruator!"

Do the threads usually die this soon after the end of a series? I seem to remember them surviving for a fair while after the end of the series. It may just be my imagination but if it's an anomaly then I guess it goes to show how surface level Chinballs Who is. There's literally nothing left to say. 

Chairman Yang

The off season is typically filled with scuttlebutt about the forthcoming series and since they're probably busy filming a remake of the The Seeds of Doom on location at the Svalbard Seed Vault or something else ludicrously expensive there's not much to talk about.

Alberon

Just found a snippet of news about the filming of series 12 and I ummmed and ahhed about starting a series 12 thread, but it seems a bit ludicrous as that's a year away still. So here it is from the BBC's twitter feed via digitalspy. A cast photo from the start of filming.

As you can probably guess, they're not in the UK.

QuoteThe background location might not be giving off any strong hints, but we actually do know where Jodie, Bradley Walsh, Tosin Cole and Mandip Gill are filming thanks to the cast of Walsh's other show, The Chase.

His chasers revealed while accepting a National Television Award on Tuesday (January 22) that Bradley couldn't be with them because he was busy working on Doctor Who in South Africa!

mothman

The shorts are a bit of a giveaway.

Mister Six

Rosa was filmed in Saff Affrika as well, wasn't it?

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on January 24, 2019, 02:08:41 AM
Rosa was filmed in Saff Affrika as well, wasn't it?

Yes, and Ghost Monument.

lipsink

Yaz seems to have lost a leg which is potentially a spoiler.

Jerzy Bondov

Probably loses it in the first episode and then barely mentions it for the rest of the series.

Norton Canes

How many Doctors have I seen in shorts? Just Jodie and Matt Smith in The Lodger, I think.

I hope they're all in costume in that photo. 

Alberon

Quote from: lipsink on January 24, 2019, 10:38:10 AM

Did she have two legs in her first series? Can anyone remember one way or the other? In fact it's time for The Yaz/Leg challenge where I go through all the last series checking the number of Yaz's legs and—-

On second thoughts - no. My sanity barely made it through the last run through.

Mister Six

Quote from: Replies From View on January 24, 2019, 08:18:42 AM
Yes, and Ghost Monument.

I thought that was filmed in Spain, for some reason. Might be mixing it up with Smile (now there's an episode that would have benefitted from a 50-minute runtime and no cold open...).

olliebean

Quote from: Mister Six on January 24, 2019, 01:38:55 PM
I thought that was filmed in Spain, for some reason. Might be mixing it up with Smile (now there's an episode that would have benefitted from a 50-minute runtime and no cold open...).

The Punjab one was filmed in Spain, I think.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: lipsink on January 24, 2019, 10:38:10 AM

"Hold on. Doctor? Are you saying I've lost a leg?"

Replies From View

It gives her and Graham another topic to not discuss together, so I'm all for it.

mothman

The one leg makes her clumsy, so Ryan gets to mention his dyspraxia.

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on January 24, 2019, 05:29:44 PM
The one leg makes her clumsy, so Ryan gets to mention his dyspraxia.

YAZ:  OCH AH CANNAE RIDE A BIKE DOCTOR, I'VE ONLY THE WAN LEG.

RYAN:  AH CANNAE RIDE A BIKE EITHER HEN.  AH GOT THE SPRAXIA YE KNAW.  OCH!

(To beat the villain of that week they all need to turn Scotch, I forgot to say.)

Mango Chimes

I'm still optimistic for a course correction. Yaz MUST get more to do next series, if for no other reason than Ryan and Graham's stories have been resolved. No more yearning for a fistbump or to be called Granddad. The loss of Grace is no longer fresh. And Ryan has healed his abandonment trauma thanks to his dad inventing a special kind of microwave oven.

CUT TO:

RYAN
Here, Granddad?

GRAHAM
Yes son?

RYAN
Despite my dyspraxia, look, I've just made my own cylinder-based vacuum cleaner! My Microwave Dad might have left me after my dead mum died but it looks like I still inherited his talent for building household appliances.

GRAHAM
That's great, Ryan, your dead nan would have loved it. Grace always said something about hoovers.

They FISTBUMP.

DOCTOR
Yaz, come with me.

Alberon

Mister Six

Kelvin

That whole post is great, Mango. Might be my favourite parody of the series I've read on here.

St_Eddie

Quote from: olliebean on January 24, 2019, 04:55:12 PM
The Punjab one was filmed in Spain, I think.

I can't read the word 'Punjab' without salivating for a curry.

Does that make me a massive racist?

Probably.

Mango Chimes

Printing this page out and sticking it on the side of my microwave for maximum inspiration.

Replies From View

Is this the shortest thread since a series of Doctor Who began?

There really is just nothing more to say, is there.

lipsink

Quote from: Replies From View on January 27, 2019, 12:41:50 PM
Is this the shortest thread since a series of Doctor Who began?

There really is just nothing more to say, is there.

That's why I'm intrigued to hear what the DVD commentaries will be like: "Yeah, so that was a scene that I wrote. Erm... This is another scene too."

olliebean

Chibnall isn't in any of the commentaries, is he?

Deanjam

Quote from: olliebean on January 27, 2019, 01:10:28 PM
Chibnall isn't in any of the commentaries, is he?

No. Pip & Jane Baker are.

Replies From View

Quote from: lipsink on January 27, 2019, 12:54:48 PM
That's why I'm intrigued to hear what the DVD commentaries will be like: "Yeah, so that was a scene that I wrote. Erm... This is another scene too."

I've listened to them; there's little to remark on, to be honest.  Chibnall isn't on any of them, and what you get is some forgettable anecdotes around what it was like to film and direct the episodes.  The writer of Rosa says what some of her intentions for the episode were, and mentions that Chibnall was responsible for Martin Luther King being in the episode and a few things like this.

I mentioned other things about the DVD a couple of pages back.  I just don't feel like the people making Doctor Who at present are very interesting or clever.

pigamus

Still telling myself I just 'haven't got round' to either the frog one or the Dalek one. Have a feeling this not-having-got-roundness is going to last a long, long time.