Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:02:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 11 (Part 2)

Started by Mister Six, November 02, 2018, 01:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

Quote from: Replies From View on January 27, 2019, 01:58:28 PM
I mentioned other things about the DVD a couple of pages back.  I just don't feel like the people making Doctor Who at present are very interesting or clever.

Yes. I'm not really a fan of RTD's era of Doctor Who, but I always enjoyed listening to him talk about it. A funny and intelligent man full of enthusiasm for his time in the show.

Phil_A

I feel like this is the worst of all possible worlds for the series at present, to be quite honest. It's just Dr Who being made by people who don't particularly care about Dr Who, like doing an episode of Midsomer Murders or something. No real enthusiasm for it, just work to pay the bills.

Norton Canes

I didn't get round to watching The Lie Of The Land and The Eaters Of Light for ages. I had valid reasons for missing them on first broadcast but wasn't especially enthused about catching up with them - until season 11 started, that is, when I luxuriated in their rich dialogue and characterisation. 

Mister Six

Quote from: pigamus on January 27, 2019, 02:11:30 PM
Still telling myself I just 'haven't got round' to either the frog one or the Dalek one. Have a feeling this not-having-got-roundness is going to last a long, long time.

Frog one is worth watching so get off your arse for that. Dalek one is quite dull but has a fairly amusing scene involving a call centre, which I think we can all agree is what Doctor Who has been missing for years.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on January 27, 2019, 07:24:58 PM
Frog one is worth watching so get off your arse for that.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for it.  It's still very shit but managed to please some people more than the series average because it had a frog on a chair.

We streamed it live on (spam) immediately after watching a Pertwee episode, and found ourselves back and forth between bored, cringing and shaking our heads in stony disbelief the whole way through.

I'd like to hear from anybody who enjoyed it the first time and has rewatched it in its entirety since then.  I'm convinced that their view will be revised to "pretty shit actually".

Kelvin

Quote from: Replies From View on January 27, 2019, 10:19:41 PM
managed to please some people more than the series average because it had a frog on a chair.

Don't be patronising. That's transparently not true if you go back and read the thread. Most people said the frog looked shit, but they liked some of the stuff that came before it. Personally, I thought the episode contained several neat ideas, a creepy villain, and relative to the rest of the series, probably the best character beats.

Not a classic, due to the dialogue and the weird stuff with the dad, but by the standard of this series, it was an interesting episode with a lot of potential.

Replies From View

Well anyway, it was rubbish but loads of people thought it was good due to the sheer mediocrity of the rest of the series.

People should rewatch it with their higher expectations and see how it compares to their memory of it at the time.

Deanjam

When you put a frog in your show people are just gonna rib it.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Replies From View on January 27, 2019, 11:09:58 PM
Well anyway, it was rubbish but loads of people thought it was good due to the sheer mediocrity of the rest of the series.

People should rewatch it with their higher expectations and see how it compares to their memory of it at the time.

"The memory cheats."

petril

Quote from: Replies From View on January 27, 2019, 11:09:58 PM

I rewatched it with a lower expectation of my memory at the time. It helps a lot.

Alberon

It's not a stone cold classic, but it is a good episode with a lightness of touch to the script that is light years ahead of the leaden rubbish most of the series puts up with.

When most of a series struggles to reach competent something that is genuinely good is going to look like a classic in comparison.

Norton Canes

I asked this the other day on the Old Doctor Who thread and no-one picked up on it (cause like it was the wrong thread, duh) - did Chibnall continue to write the editorial piece for DWM, or was that rather banal piece after was was appointed show-runner his only effort? If so, did they get any better..?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 28, 2019, 03:20:36 PM
I asked this the other day on the Old Doctor Who thread and no-one picked up on it (cause like it was the wrong thread, duh) - did Chibnall continue to write the editorial piece for DWM, or was that rather banal piece after was was appointed show-runner his only effort? If so, did they get any better..?

I just flicked through the Christmas issue and he didn't contribute anything for that one.

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 28, 2019, 03:20:36 PM

He has contributed a handful over the past year but they've been pretty uninspired and uninspiring.

olliebean

Here's an observation I've just come across:

Whittaker's Doctor in Arachnids in the UK: "I love a conspiracy!"
Whittaker's Doctor in Kerblam!: "Don't like bullies, don't like conspiracies."

Only one of these was written by Chibnall, but any decent script editor ought to have picked that up. What with the early-draft feeling of his scripts and the "10 episodes per year is too much work" whine he had a while back, this makes me wonder if he's actually putting in the effort but not up to the job, or just plain old lazy. Is Series 11 really the best he can do, or is it just the best he can be bothered to do?

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on January 29, 2019, 03:00:38 PM
Is Series 11 really the best he can do, or is it just the best he can be bothered to do?

I think it's him pulling out all the stops to wow us with his vision of Doctor Who.  Really.

Series 12 will shock you - mark my words.

St_Eddie

Wow!  Don't care for Doctor Who and don't watch it but that's fucking appalling!  If it were two separate series (and two separate incarnations of the Doctor), then I could understand but within the same series, with the same Doctor?!  Fuck me!  How do these people get work, much less be called professionals?!

mjwilson

That is an absolutely trivial matter.

Replies From View

At the very least it shows it's not clear when the Doctor is joking or being serious.  And not in an intentionally ambiguous, good-for-characterisation way.

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 29, 2019, 06:46:31 PM
Wow!  Don't care for Doctor Who and don't watch it

The fact you are posting here suggests you may secretly want to get into it.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on January 29, 2019, 07:25:57 PM
The fact you are posting here suggests you may secretly want to get into it.

Not really.  I just don't have anything better to do and quite frankly, I enjoy reading and commentating about shit writing in television programmes, whether I personally watch them or not.

Replies From View

St_Eddie

Mister Six

Quote from: mjwilson on January 29, 2019, 07:18:24 PM
That is an absolutely trivial matter.

It is indicative of the sloppiness of the script editing of the show, however.

Although pretty much all of the rest of Arachnids in the UK is an even better example.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on January 29, 2019, 08:27:41 PM
It is indicative of the sloppiness of the script editing of the show, however.

Although pretty much all of the rest of Arachnids in the UK is an even better example.

Including its title.

Norton Canes

That might actually be quite funny if they were consecutive lines in the same episode.

Mister Six

Only if they're the other way around though.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: olliebean on January 29, 2019, 03:00:38 PMWhittaker's Doctor in Kerblam!: "Don't like bullies, don't like conspiracies."
It's okay because she clearly doesn't mean this given that she lets the bullying evil conspiracy-ridden delivery company get off scot-free at the end

Dialogue to be inserted in my brain to make Kerblam! a good episode:

DOCTOR WHO
I'm shutting it down. All of it. I'm shutting *you* down.

BUSINESSMAN
You can't do that! This company is worth billions of credits!!!

DOCTOR WHO
Is it? Well done you. Why don't you tell that to Kira's family when they come to pick up the little bits of her corpse you cunt.

Mister Six

Wasn't Kira an orphan? You insensitive bastard.

Jerzy Bondov

Oh was she? Ah maybe that's why the Doctor wasn't bothered that she got murdered so a computer could teach a man a lesson.