Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:59:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 11 (Part 2)

Started by Mister Six, November 02, 2018, 01:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Mister Six

^ Ha!

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 17, 2019, 04:58:08 PM
Heh, I did do that deliberately. And I checked to see how much interaction she had with Ryan and Graham as well (two bits, both pointless) so it seems Houser doesn't really know what to do with the character either. But these are early days and the three issues so far would probably make up only half a tv episode, so it's a bit unfair to judge her on that just yet.

I wonder what restrictions there might be on the comics? Like, one obvious solution is to retool Yaz so she's first and foremost a copper in space - there have been hints at that (when Ryan suggested sacking off helping in Kerblam, I think, but Yaz said they should press on) but I'd go full tilt and have her having her motivated by a desire for justice, trying to mediate arguments (as seen in her first scene) and generally being a good rozzer.

But if there's an editorial edict not to stray too far from what's on the telly they're fucked, because - as we know - there's bugger all there.

Replies From View

There could be an hilarious running gag whenever the Police Box touches down on the groond and Yaz steps out:  criminals going "YIKES" and darting off!!!!!!

Mango Chimes

It's taken to this page of the thread, well after the series ended, to realise they've had a police officer flying around in a police box with POLICE written on the side of it, and have made no play on that whatsoever. Maybe next series!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: daf on February 17, 2019, 05:33:36 PM

Heh, lovely work there.

Quote from: Mister Six on February 17, 2019, 06:14:43 PM
^ Ha!

I wonder what restrictions there might be on the comics? Like, one obvious solution is to retool Yaz so she's first and foremost a copper in space - there have been hints at that (when Ryan suggested sacking off helping in Kerblam, I think, but Yaz said they should press on) but I'd go full tilt and have her having her motivated by a desire for justice, trying to mediate arguments (as seen in her first scene) and generally being a good rozzer.

But if there's an editorial edict not to stray too far from what's on the telly they're fucked, because - as we know - there's bugger all there.

Yeah, I wondered about that too, in one of the other issues the Doctor did actually comment on Yaz being a police officer and it made more use of that aspect of her character, but it was a minor thing and unfortunately so far she's been just as bland as on tv.

Deanjam

Daily Mirror saying the next series will be back to Saturdays. It's only source is a "BBC insider" though, so possibly bollocks.

Jerzy Bondov

Maybe it will also go back to being good, hehehe.

Norton Canes

Hot season 12 news! (hardly seems worth starting a new thread yet): Doctor Who crew filming in 'Sheffield' (actually Cardiff) - Mandip Gill seen outside 'Sheffield' police station!

Clapperboards (or whatever they're called these days) indicate this is episode 1 and a few props seem to indicate this might be a spy-themed story. Also Steven Fry has been seen around the set, though no-one is quite sure if he's a guest star or the episode's writer.

Judging by the signs, either the story is set in the same future as The Invisible Enemy or the proof-readers are on strike...

daf

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 12, 2019, 03:31:27 PM
Clapperboards (or whatever they're called these days)

Take-bangers
Shot-synchers
Finger-pinchers

Replies From View

Norton Canes

Replies From View

Mister Six

Judging by the signs, either the story is set in the same future as The Invisible Enemy or the proof-readers are on strike...

?

Nip-trappers
Acting-starters
Go-prompters
Pissabout-stoppers

Deanjam

Mister Six

Alberon

Hot season 12 news! (hardly seems worth starting a new thread yet): Doctor Who crew filming in 'Sheffield' (actually Cardiff) - Mandip Gill seen outside 'Sheffield' police station!

Yaz: Doctor, what's a police? It sounds vaguely familiar.

Replies From View

Hot season 12 news! (hardly seems worth starting a new thread yet)

Weird to think we've run out of things to say about the newest series of Doctor Who, but we have.  I don't think this has happened so quickly since 2005.

mjwilson

Bit surprised DWM didn't manage a big interview with Chibnall where he talked about the season. I had supposed that not talking about anything before the episodes would be balanced out by a big post-season chat. Still time for that of course.

Phil_A

Yes, odd that. You'd think that would be a courtesy if nothing else.

Reading between the lines, does it imply a distancing between the production office and the magazine that wasn't there under Moffat or Davies? That and the fact Chibnall couldn't be arsed doing the Production Notes column for more than a month. Hmm

Mister Six

Quote from: Phil_A on March 13, 2019, 10:59:08 PM

Reading between the lines, does it imply a distancing between the production office and the magazine that wasn't there under Moffat or Davies? That and the fact Chibnall couldn't be arsed doing the Production Notes column for more than a month. Hmm

Given the half-hearted tone of the one column he did do, perhaps it was a mutual agreement - he couldn't be arsed doing it every month (or fortnight or whatever) and they didn't want to have such mediocre writing taking up space each month?

Do you think Chibnall knows how shit he is?

Replies From View

Quote from: Phil_A on March 13, 2019, 10:59:08 PM

I think it's just that he hasn't got a meaningful hold on what he's doing, and fundamentally doesn't have anything interesting to say about the show.

You've seen his series 11 interviews, I assume?  He's stupifyingly dull.

Mister Six

So at least he's brand-consistent.

Kelvin

Quote from: Replies From View on March 14, 2019, 08:21:02 AM
I think it's just that he hasn't got a meaningful hold on what he's doing

Of the many valid criticisms, I'm not sure this is fair of Chibnall, really. If nothing else, he did seems to to have some over-arcing sense of what he wanted the show to be; more Young Adult in tone, a more explicit focus on social issues, a bigger, more diverse team, no major series arc, a greatly reduced reliance on Classic monsters and references.

He and his writers just too shit to make any of that work in the show's favour.

EDIT; actually the more overtly progressive tone is about the only thing I did like about the series, so I suppose there's that.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: Kelvin on March 14, 2019, 08:10:16 PM
more Young Adult in tone

I have no idea what tone they were going for. RTD and Moffat Who could be mature and they were clearly written by some very horny and funny men. Can't really say any of series 11 was funny or horny.

VelourSpirit

I hope I never run out of Moffat DWM columns to read because they're quite a comfort when I'm thinking about how dull series 11 was. https://www.reddit.com/r/gallifrey/comments/3sirsd/production_notes_steven_moffat_qa_for_doctor_who/

Quote"Treat it like you own it," is what I'm always telling people on Doctor Who. Writers, directors, actors, everybody. We are not tending to a mausoleum, we are making a real, living, breathing TV show - one that must change, and surprise, and break every rule it can find. Drama not dogma. It's hard sometimes - harder than I mostly let on. As fans go - and I'm still more a fan than anything - I'm pretty dogmatic. Change makes me whimper. Continuity keeps me awake. I'm still working on my definitive answer to UNIT dating (it was a tough choice, but I've opted for Jo Grant. Sorry, Corporal Bell). So what I really want is a script that makes [me] go "No, YOU CAN'T DO THAT!"

Kelvin

Quote from: TwinPeaks on March 14, 2019, 08:37:52 PM
I have no idea what tone they were going for. RTD and Moffat Who could be mature and they were clearly written by some very horny and funny men. Can't really say any of series 11 was funny or horny.

No, but it did frequently - and in my view, intentionally - feel like the kind of Young Adult shows/films that you get a lot of nowadays. Visually a bit grittier than things like RTD/Moffat Who, and tonally a bit more earnest and worthy.   

Replies From View

Quote from: Kelvin on March 14, 2019, 09:37:04 PM
No, but it did frequently - and in my view, intentionally - feel like the kind of Young Adult shows/films that you get a lot of nowadays. Visually a bit grittier than things like RTD/Moffat Who, and tonally a bit more earnest and worthy.

More derivative of modern things?  Not sure if that counts as an active decision though, or just a failure to strike out in a unique direction.  Feels like he might be doing it subconsciously, to be honest, just absorbing what's happening nowadays on television and echoing it.

Tonally more earnest and worthy is a side effect of his writing being so weak and clunky.  There's little room for humorous nuances, for example, or poetic language, because he's using every pore of his being to make his characters do things that drive the stories forward.

Alberon

I would love to know what Chibnall honestly thought worked last series and what didn't.

Though we'll have to wait until next year to see if there has been any real changes.