Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:18:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 11 (Part 2)

Started by Mister Six, November 02, 2018, 01:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Rumours buzzing around that a significant new-series character is to return to the show in season 12. Along with the return of the Judoon, it looks like Chibnall might have had a memo about not including previous elements of the show.

Bad Ambassador

If you mean Billie Piper, that turned out to be something else.

Norton Canes

Deanjam

When are they bringing back exciting adventures?

Jerzy Bondov

I hope he brings back the Slitheen or some fucking shit. Bring back the Vervoids. Bring back some fucking McCoy shit. Why not. Fucking bring fucking back the fucking boring fucking old fucking Krotons.

Replies From View

daf

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 06, 2019, 02:51:12 PM
Fucking bring fucking back the fucking boring fucking old fucking Krotons.

Don't think Big Finish have done the Sensorites yet - so he can have those.

Jerzy Bondov

I really like The Sensorites and think it's good. And that's the kind of mental opinion that's keeping me out of Doctor Who short story anthologies.

Replies From View

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 06, 2019, 04:52:09 PM
I really like The Sensorites and think it's good. And that's the kind of mental opinion that's keeping me out of Doctor Who short story anthologies.

Weren't the Sensorites sort of redesigned as the Ood by RTD?  I know he didn't do anything to tread on the toes of that classic serial but I get the feeling the Ood were an attempt to capture the silhouette of the Sensorites at least, and they are explained as relatives or something, so the vague resemblance is recognised and acknowledged.

I always thought the Judoon were meant to be an attempt at doing new series Sontarans as well, until the latter came back for series 4.

daf

Quote from: Replies From View on June 06, 2019, 04:57:37 PM
Weren't the Sensorites sort of redesigned as the Ood by RTD? 

Pretty much -

QuoteThe BBC-authorised book Doctor Who: Creatures and Demons elaborates that the Ood came from the Ood Sphere. The Ood Sphere is close to the Sense Sphere planet, home to the Sensorites, who share a mental and physical similarity with the Ood. 

So officially, both exist in the Dr Who universe - (as Sea Devil / Silurian type 'cousins')

That dead eyed Sensorite mask looks like it was designed by Ed Gein - horrific!

Jerzy Bondov

That's the beauty of the Sensorites. You see the first one peering in the window and you think FUCK MY LIFE LOOK AT THAT HORRIBLE MONSTER and then it turns out they're just a load of boring old cunts

Cloud

I have a Rift now so had a go at that Runaway thing.  Eh, it was alright.  It's only a few minutes long and you just basically point her sonic around while she babbles and does stuff.  Gives you a good 1st person view of how cramped that new TARDIS is.

H-O-W-L

Rewatched all of New Who again. Seasons 1, 3, and 4 are way stronger than I remember. Seasons 5-8 are all but pish, Season 9 is pretty fucking decent and a good soft reboot. The Husbands of River Song was probably the best episode Moffat has ever written or will ever write. World Enough and Time and The Doctor Falls are a worthy capstone to the series,  and then the sequential christmas special takes a BIG SHIT in that wonderous double-bill.

New season was just fucking boring, honestly. I could barely pay attention. Didn't feel like Doctor Who. Whittaker is fantastic in the role. Walsh as Graham is fantastic. Yas and Ryan are just kinda flat.  Feels like all the charm is gone.

Watched Tenth Planet for the first time too and it was such a comfortable little sixties sci-fi serial. The cybermen are a favourite so to see their fucking bizarre, creepy zomboid origins was amazing. I also listened to Spare Parts (the Big Finish audio piece) shortly after and I really really cannot reccomend it enough. If you're a Who fan you've done yourself a disservice by not listening to it.

Hemulen

Quote from: H-O-W-L on June 11, 2019, 06:24:02 AM
Rewatched all of New Who again. Seasons 1, 3, and 4 are way stronger than I remember.

Interesting. I just finished rewatching Series 3 for my podcast (like the world really needs another Who podcast, but there you go) and I've found it to be weaker than I remembered. Apart from the obvious highlights of Human Nature and Blink I struggled to see the positive in the more mixed bag episodes. Perhaps I'm being contaminated by my Who-sceptic co-host...

Deanjam

I like 3 due to Martha who is the best of the RTD companions. Also the reveal of the Master was great as I wasn't spoiled by it and Jacobi is great in that episode (pity he left too quickly).

Series 5 & 6 are by far my favourites of the New era though.

Mister Six

5 > 6 > 3 > 10 > 4 > 9 > 8 > 1 > 7 > 2 > K-9 and Company > 11

Although I've not rewatched them all.

Norton Canes

Three's my favourite, with five not far behind, then the first season. And yes, Martha's the best RTD companion, ironically despite Freema Agyeman delivering on balance a less polished performance than Billie Piper or Catherine Tate. Apart from Blink and Human Nature I love Smith And Jones - a perfect reboot - and the beautiful Gridlock.

I find it hard to rank the seasons after five as consistency goes right out the window. I like a lot of eight and ten.

H-O-W-L

I find Season 5 to be tremendously weak and overly tepid because it cripples itself at several points to establish the arc and more than a couple of the episodes are complete duds (Beast Below is probably the most tonally jarring and poorly made, Victory of the Daleks is a snoozefest, Silurian two-parter goes nowhere) and the whole series has the Moffat era problem where despite having several separate writers, a hugely established problem is eventually boiled down to just "But Then They Fix It All, The End" in most of the episodes which just gets sort of boring. It's like they forgot they were writing 45-minute scripts.

6 might be straight up one of the worst seasons of Doctor Who ever because the Silence alien shit is wrapped up in about three episodes after being built up for a whole season and it goes basically nowhere, and the overarcing plot of The Silence, the organization, turns out to be a load of wank and arse chips.

The Moffat era has very big issues with maintaining a consistent story-to-arc balance and a consistent tone.

Do bear in mind I also vitriolically hate almost all of Season 2 nowadays so I might have just changed heavily in adulthood.

Gridlock is also probably one of my favourite eps of NuWho because it goes full cyberpunk.

I find the Smith era gets a a notch up just by having a great core cast, until Miss Sass comes along.

Replies From View

Mister Six

Odd that Jamie Stone is doing so many episodes while someone else is only doing one, no?

Should we start a new season 12 thread now news is dribbling through?

Alberon

I suppose so. It's really hard to be arsed to be honest.

Mister Six

Yeah, that's why I said "we", not "I".

VelourSpirit

1>9>8>5>6>3>10>4>2>7>>>>>>>>>>>nearly forgot to even include series 11 but here we go it's here at the end
1's the best for me. How do you even make a series like that when you're bringing back Doctor Who? Every aspect of it. How would you come up with it? The Unquiet Dead is the only weak one in the lot.

H-O-W-L

Bollocks, in my original writeup I meant season 10 is pretty good. Is that the one with Bill? Yeah. It's not a patch on any pre-S5 one but it's aeons better than anything after S6 for sure. I honestly stopped paying attention around the episode where the Bird's Eye Chicken Chargrill people start coming out of that clone machine in S6 and didn't tune in again until The Pilot, which was honestly a shit episode.

I think the idea of rebooting Bocteur Spew with a pre-existing, previously-cast Doctor is a fantastic one and I think they executed it perfectly, so it gets a good golf clap from me even if none of the episodes except the finale two-parter really do anything for me. I also really love Michelle Gomez as the female Mattress so that's a big bonus.

Mister Six

Quote from: H-O-W-L on June 13, 2019, 01:22:36 AM
Michelle Gomez as the female Mattress so that's a big bonus.

Chance would be a fine thing.

Johnny Yesno

That's an absolute belter of a typo. H-O-W-Ls of laughter here.

lipsink

5, 3, 1, 4, 6, 10, 2, 7, 8, 11, 9.

Jerzy Bondov

These rankings are ignoring the specials. The RTD year of specials is shit but the Day/Time year is good. In fact my favourite episode of new Who is probably The Day of the Doctor.

In light of the appalling series 11 I'm going to go back and rewatch the RTD years. I think I was too hard on them. Sat there all miserable hating the Face of Boe. Bring that big boring jar cunt back, I say.

daf

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 13, 2019, 04:37:51 PM
In light of the appalling series 11 I'm going to go back and rewatch the RTD years.

Even season 24 doesn't seem so bad these days!

Series 11 = Star Trek Discovery
Big Finish = The Orville