Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:24:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 11 (Part 2)

Started by Mister Six, November 02, 2018, 01:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

Under the new Who model, yes, the showrunner/head writer should write lots of episodes. That's a very good reason why the showrunner/head writer should not be Chris Chibnall

Replies From View

Have a few more script editors there with the balls to say "mate this line made a clanging noise".

Bourgyste

Quote from: Bourgyste on November 03, 2018, 06:06:44 AM
Your reviews are too persuasive. I'll add that I think this episode treated 'death' rather casually which I am certain was not intentional.
Just realised I read that review entirely wrong. Too much Bailey's

pigamus

Really looking forward to... whatever the one after this one is.

Mister Six

What are we doing about spoiling titles? We seemed to be tagging then at first but now we're openly talking about the The Tsunnarngnanngn Conundrum. Granted, it's not like it really says much about the episode.

mothman

Does it really matter unless the title gives something away? Say you manage to avoid seeing the "Next Time" trailer at the end of the episode (by closing your eyes and putting your fingers in your ears and saying "la la la?") or any trailers in the week, and not look at the Radio Times or any newspaper TV listings, then will your life really be so much better when you start watching the episode and see when the title comes up that it's called "The Bar Mitzvah of the Daleks" for instance?

Kelvin

What time is today's episode? I'm on phone and can't find the answer via Google. Why the hell can't they just give it a consistent slot?

Norton Canes

Kelvin

Jerzy Bondov

Tory father-in-law: You like Doctor Who. What do you think of the new one?
Me: She's very good but the scripts aren't.
TFIL: Yes it's gone too PC
Me: No I just mean the dialogue is bad
TFIL: It's got to the point at the BBC where men don't even apply for jobs because they know they won't get it

mjwilson

Quote from: Mister Six on November 04, 2018, 02:55:56 PM
What are we doing about spoiling titles? We seemed to be tagging then at first but now we're openly talking about the The Tsunnarngnanngn Conundrum. Granted, it's not like it really says much about the episode.

I spoiler tagged some a while ago just in case anyone was very spoiler phobic, I don't personally count episode titles as spoilers though. Except on Friends, obviously, because those ones tell you what it is all about.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on November 04, 2018, 06:27:00 PM
Tory father-in-law: You like Doctor Who. What do you think of the new one?
Me: She's very good but the scripts aren't.
TFIL: Yes it's gone too PC
Me: No I just mean the dialogue is bad
TFIL: It's got to the point at the BBC where men don't even apply for jobs because they know they won't get it

Desolation.

Speaking of spoilers, I hope my weekly previews are sufficiently lacking in detail? I always provide a broad overview of my thoughts while avoiding mention of anything that actually happens in the episodes, but I appreciate that some people prefer to not know anything - even if it's just some forum dude's subjective opinion - before watching an episode, so I'll gladly stop doing them if they're causing annoyance for anyone.

Just wanted to check.

olliebean

Quote from: Kelvin on November 04, 2018, 05:18:35 PM
What time is today's episode? I'm on phone and can't find the answer via Google. Why the hell can't they just give it a consistent slot?

I thought it had settled at 7pm, but in 2 weeks time it's 6:30.

Kelvin

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 04, 2018, 06:58:41 PM
Speaking of spoilers, I hope my weekly previews are sufficiently lacking in detail? I always provide a broad overview of my thoughts while avoiding mention of anything that actually happens in the episodes, but I appreciate that some people prefer to not know anything - even if it's just some forum dude's subjective opinion - before watching an episode, so I'll gladly stop doing them if they're causing annoyance for anyone.

Just wanted to check.

I honestly think that if someone's that sensitive to spoilers, they shouldn't be in a Doctor Who thread.

Replies From View

Somebody has enlivened the white walls of these rooms by drawing shapes on them with a permanent black marker.

Very silly.

mjwilson

Replies From View

This episode is doing a bad job of holding my attention.  I can see how Chibnall is trying to create and maintain tension (no TARDIS, sonic screwdriver no longer working, etc), but there's no content apart from the fact they are in a ship and there is a little monster.

It's plotting by numbers again.  You can hear the cogs turning in Chibnall's mind as he tries to move the story forward and create emotion.

Norton Canes

Someone's been watching Lilo And Stitch!

Replies From View

On the positive side, the teal lighting strips in every background shot are a welcome change from the usual.

Teal computer monitors, teal clothes, teal pools of light.  Da ba dee da ba daa.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Replies From View on November 04, 2018, 07:19:01 PM
This episode is doing a bad job of holding my attention.  I can see how Chibnall is trying to create and maintain tension (no TARDIS, sonic screwdriver no longer working, etc), but there's no content apart from the fact they are in a ship and there is a little monster.

It's plotting by numbers again.  You can hear the cogs turning in Chibnall's mind as he tries to move the story forward and create emotion.

Yeah my attention's proper wandering in this one. It's the most Doctor-y Jodie's felt to me though.

Replies From View

It doesn't help that the end of this episode marks the halfway mark of this series.

The series should be soaring by this point.  Instead we are waiting for it to get off the ground.

Chairman Yang

Christ, there's a powerful perception filter on this episode.

Quote from: Kelvin on November 04, 2018, 07:01:51 PM
I honestly think that if someone's that sensitive to spoilers, they shouldn't be in a Doctor Who thread.

Yeah, I guess you're right.

Replies From View

So this man isn't going to give birth to a standard humanoid is he.

By the way this may be the first time I have written in the thread during the episode rather than waiting until it has finished.

Quote from: BritishHobo on November 04, 2018, 07:25:40 PM
Yeah my attention's proper wandering in this one. It's the most Doctor-y Jodie's felt to me though.

My thoughts entirely. It's a dreary by-numbers episode, but Jodie is hitting her stride now.

pigamus

Right, now you've pointed out the teal and orange thing it's going to do my head in.

Replies From View

Quote from: pigamus on November 04, 2018, 07:35:27 PM
Right, now you've pointed out the teal and orange thing it's going to do my head in.

You are now on my level, brother.

Replies From View

Just a spaceship with future technology and blah de blah.

RTD consciously avoided episodes like this, as he knew non-sci-fi audiences would find them alienating.  I really wonder whether this is going to be a turning point for the people who have been drifting in from Strictly.