Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:27:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jon Glaser Loves Gear, season 2

Started by Ant Farm Keyboard, November 02, 2018, 03:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ant Farm Keyboard

My favorite detail is when Jon describes the sign of the Anti-Gear by comparing it to the "Ghostbusters logo."

The terrible Jack Nicholson impersonations were fine, but Glaser had done it better with Dennis Farina on Delocated in the episode "Jon" loses his mind due to the death of Agent Mike.

Vitalstatistix

'Road Trip' is a fucking great episode. Packed with laughs. Reaction guy's faces, 'anti-Gear', the Nicholson/Shining stuff. Lovely stuff all round.

Ant Farm Keyboard

"Photography" was another winner, a story that keeps on taking weird turns. I got a "Space" vibe from it.

Small Man Big Horse

I loved it too, and the line "A glaring admission from the film Gangs Of New York" made me laugh especially hard.

selectivememory

I lost it when they started bumping tucks.

rasta-spouse

I watched a few of S1 when it was on, and just now watching the Tennis episode. Seriously, I don't get this.

NoSleep

It is more of show where you have to watch them all in sequence to fully appreciate it. Shit happens between the cast that has repercussions that unfold.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Episode 8, "Swing Dancing", in on MySpleen.

Moribunderast

I'd fallen behind with this so am just catching up. Karl the Reaction Guy is hilarious and the sort of convoluted idea you only get in a Jon Glaser show. What a wonderful brain he has.

Ant Farm Keyboard

And the next two episodes are even better. "Swing Dancing" is a succession of great scenes. The lecture on the birds and the bees, the whole restaurant project he describes with food in his mouth... I was at one point worried that he wouldn't casually mention his greatest athletic achievement, but sure, he found the perfectly pointless moment to drop it.

Small Man Big Horse

I really liked Swing Dancing too, the first ten minutes were a little low on laughs but the second half was beautiful stuff, and featured some of the funniest moments of the series. The same kind of applied with Gearing as well, there was a lot to like about the first part but it was the second which really delivered. I'm going to miss this so much when it ends next week, and I just hope TruTv give it a third season.

chveik

the last couple of episodes were really good indeed. the *sucked off a bloke* thing was a bit too dark my liking though. still his excitement at the toothbrush-knife as a piece of gear was hilarious.

selectivememory

Loved the skydiving finale. I especially enjoyed the chickens, and Jon lining up both his fake and real families together to say goodbye to. I think it's kind of sweet that he's got such an enthusiastic cheerleader in his fake son.

A really solid run of episodes from the basketball one onwards. The first few were good, but I was quite happy when they left behind that "Jon tries to have Steve killed" plotline, which didn't really work for me. Also, having never really found the idea of Gear-i very funny, I have found his romance with Drone-i quite tedious. But that's about the only complaint I have about the second half of this season. Could quite happily go for another season of this if it gets recommissioned, as it still seems that there's quite a bit of mileage in the premise.

Small Man Big Horse

I loved it right until the end when I was disappointed he didn't go through with it. I mean maybe he never could due to insurance reasons or something like that but they could have faked it, maybe have an intricate plot where Jon employs a fake Jon to go along with the rest of his fake family. Still, the rest was a delight, and I'd definitely be up for a third season.

Ant Farm Keyboard

I really loved the run of episodes that focused more on Leslie and his family. The finale could have been a little similar to the Nathan For You segment about skydiving, but Glaser's attraction to tangentially-related small issues (the whole ending of the Chickenshits sequence) made the difference.
There's a deleted scene on Facebook, where Jon invents a few ridiculous songs to go with the trapeze stunt.

And the enthusiastic fake Jon is a fabrication. As Jon explains in a voice over, he's an actor who says lines that Jon wrote himself, making the character a sycophant. It's one key difference with Eva, the fake wife, who adlibs and is allowed to voice her own opinion, while the fake daughter is usually silent.